Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:10 PM   #1

I have been using S8000FD for about 2 months now and have been unhappy with the image quality in many circumstances.

The attached pictures lack sharpness that I would like to see. These were shot at full zoom /hand held. I have also used a tripod with full zoom and shutter delay to eleminate shake and this seems to help, so I'm concluding that the softness in the wild horse pix is camera shake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2192174...7603493336356/

Any comments?
coloradoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:14 PM   #2

these were taken under rather harsh conditions --- It was a single digit day.

there was no apparent adverse effect on shutter speed or lens/zoom motion, although the batteries ran low---no surprise there considering the temperature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2192174...7603493340142/

Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3

Are you using it in auto mode ?, Because this cam is manure in auto mode i find that if using the tele end of the zoom you want to use SP mode and up the sutter speed a bit, And you should have took the exposure comp down slightly to compensate for the bright snow, And it focused on the background rather than the rock climber.

Learn to find the camera's best setting's in each scenario and you wont be upset with the results.

Stay away from auto mode like the bubonic plague.

coaldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions related to you comments.

Is there any way to review what settings were used when the picture was taken, I know the shutter speed and aperture settings can be retreived but I was wondering about camera specific settings such as mode SP1 SP2 P A S M and photometry, quality etc. These pictures were taken in one of the 2 SP modes set for snow. The exposure was pretty good. I have in general been disappointed with the image quality/softness or lack of sharpness.

You mentioned that these pictures focused on the background rather than the climber, how can this be avoided in the future?

And, you mentioned making adjustments to the exposure (aperture/shutter speed) while in the one of the two SP modes. I'm not seeing that the shutter speed/aperature can be adjusted in the SP mode but they can be changed in either of the following modes: P A S M. Unless I've misunderstood the instructions.

Colorado Ice
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:32 PM   #5

I don't know of any exif viewer that actually tells you which "scene mode" you used. I tend to forget that scene modes are there and shoot mostly in P (program mode) then mess with the camera settings (in the menus) to get what I want.

I just got this camera last night. I've been trying to find a reason to hate it, but just can't so far. I haven't come up through the Fuji line and just kept reading terrible things about this camera when I was choosing between the three 18x super zooms on the market. I called twice to our local real photography store and asked for an opinion from two different people over the phone. Both picked this Fuji. ThenI went in last night and really liked the feel of it, and what I was seeing. I have my sharpening set to "hard". I'm not the greatest photog, but for myself, I'm pleased with what I've gotten so far - just drilling through the menus and not cracking the manual yet.

http://www.pbase.com/manyara/fuji
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6

Does anyone know how to save an image from the S8000fd in the RAW format .

I can't seem to find anything in the owners manual about this??? The specs indicated that uncompressed data is in the RAW format.

Colorado Ice
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7

Hi, where do you see that - that it supports RAW? In looking at my manual and various web sites, this camera does not support the RAW file format.I had realizedthat going in. I don't consider RAW a feature, I just don't have time fool with it and the file sizes are huge and require special software...blah blah. I have more of a consumer mind-set. Get a nice shot with as little messing around with it as I can. This from one of the many sites I Googled:

Image Storage
Fine JPEG 3264 x 2448 : 14 - With 58MB built-in memory, Normal JPEG 3264 x 2448 : 29 - With 58MB built-in memory, JPEG 3264 x 2176 : 32 - With 58MB built-in memory, JPEG 2304 x 1728 : 57 - With 58MB built-in memory, JPEG 1600 x 1200 : 91 - With 58MB built-in memory, JPEG 640 x 480 : 448 - With 58MB built-in memory
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:52 PM   #8

Yea, well the specs(includinfg on the Fuji website, all indicate that the uncompressed data is RAW format, so I'm wondering how to access this feature to imrove image qiality in otherwise mediocre image qiaulity.

Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:15 PM   #9

Well, I hope someone comes forward who can help you with the RAW question, I'm just not finding it. I'm also sorry you are disappointed with your shots. Have you tried different settings in the menu? For instance, I have very weak eye sight. I need to see pretty sharp, saturated color. I have my sharpening set to "hard" and use the chrome rather than the standard color setting. Just curious, are my shots the same kind of thing you are disappointed in? http://www.pbase.com/manyara/fuji

If mine are some how different than yours, it would be my pleasure to share what I do to try and help you feel less frustated and disappointed in the camera. I've sure been down that road with a camera before, and it's no fun.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:38 PM   #10

Hi, I'd say these are comparable to the shots I've been unhappy with. If you go back up further in this thread have a few shots posted on fli