Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:27 PM   #1

My S7000 finally died :-(. I saw the review of the S9100 and I was very impress until I read that It was discontinued. Does anybody knows why?... I call Fuji and they told me that a replacement will be available maybe in spring or Summer.

Should I wait? Any suggestions for a good replacement for my S7000? I loved that camera.....

Thanks.
rmelendez72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

If you want a camera now, buy one now. If they announce a S9200 in summer, it may be shipped in autumn. I wouldn't wait that long, if I had no camera at the moment. I really like my S9100 and there are still some new ones in stock.

The other options would be a superzoom or a DSLR.
StefH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:51 AM   #3

I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! My S-9100 and if youcan find one now get one now.

As for a replacement coming down the line I already havwe seen the s8000fd model ands it s very impressive without the manual zoom ring on it. I would love to see how Fuji improves on the S-9100 camera if they can.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:04 AM   #4

They need to put in the newer generation CCD, or better yet, make it as good or better than the S6000 series in low light. I also REALLY want higher resolution in the EVF, or even an optical viewfinder. Hopefully the next step is CMOS....which I truly hope will bring better low light capability and faster shot-to-shot times.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5

Sadly, I suspect the S9xxx series may be gone for good. Face it, its a camera for more serious photographers (which meant the average aim & pray snapshooter couldn't figure it out and wasn't interested). And it faced competition in the minds of more serious photographersfrom low-end SLR's that too many people who didn't do the research thought were just a few dollars more (wish I was rich enough to consider $300-$400 more "just a few dollars")and don't offer some of the serious features the S9xxx did. Hence, a shrinking market for what was a darn good "everyday" camera for real photographers.

Myself, I love the camera, because there are a lot of times I just don't want to lug my heavy Canon 20D and three zoom lenses around but I still want a lot more camera than a point & shoot offers (especiallythat wonderful manual zoom control) With the demise a couple years back of the Minolta Dimage 7hi/A2/A200 the Fuji was the only camera in this class - a shame its gone. But the support just wasn't there.It was a niche camera, and nowadays major corporations don't support niche markets.

Jim
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:52 PM   #6

While the S9xxx series may be gone, it does look like there's a suitable replacement in the works.....my only issue is that it looks like it may have a lithium battery, which means I'm either sticking with my camera, or jumping brands.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:41 PM   #7

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! My S-9100 and if youcan find one now get one now.

As for a replacement coming down the line I already havwe seen the s8000fd model ands it s very impressive without the manual zoom ring on it. I would love to see how Fuji improves on the S-9100 camera if they can.

dave
I was waiting for the s8000fd to come out and when it did, I was going to buy one, until I got my hands on one...I realized very quickly it was a downgrade to the s9100
I do not know what Fuji was thinking...
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:58 AM   #8

Agree with all above (well, almost...)

if you want a better replacement for your S7000, the options are limited to S6000 and S9000 series. But definitely not S8000fd.

don't get me wrong, i love Fuji and S8000fd is a good camera. but it's in a different class. IMHO, S8000fd is just a superzoom, while S6000 and S9000 are closer to DSLR (in terms of size and handling). S8000fd doesn't use SuperCCD, does it?

pity, S6000 and S9000 are discontinued. hope they're designing another successor right now.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:06 AM   #9

oops, forgot to answer your main question...

if you can't find S6000 or S9000 series, and if you can wait, you should wait. maybe Fuji will launch S6100 or S9200 this year (long live Fuji...), who knows?

but if you can't stand the itch, and your eyes and fingers are dying to take pictures, you should start searching for alternatives right now.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:23 AM   #10

There are rumours that Fuji will announce the s100pro soon. It could be the s9100 successor. But we'll know more in two weeks.
StefH is offline   Reply With Quote