Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:18 AM   #1

H Folks,

It looks like I've encountered an SD card compatibility issue with a FinePix F50fd.

It seems that the FinePix F50fd does not like the OCZ 4GB 150x SD card. The camera displays a "CARD ERROR" message when the card is installed. The card works OK when installed in a Canon PowerShot A640. The F50fd works OK when I install an old 128MB SD card that I had laying around.

The Fuji web site did not provide any information on this issue.

If anyone here is using a FinePix F50fd I'd be interested to learn what memory card(s) work with your camera.

Thanks for your help,

--Frank

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:13 PM   #2

It looks like the camera does not support FAT32 - i.e. cards larger than 2GB. Cards formatted with the FAT file system (2GB and lower) appear to work OK.

--Frank
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:05 PM   #3

According to the owner's manual, f50fd supports SDHC cards and checked SanDisk. Did you format the 4GB card in the camera?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:33 AM   #4

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
According to the owner's manual, f50fd supports SDHC cards and checked SanDisk. Did you format the 4GB card in the camera?
Now that you mention it the OCZ card that I have does not say "High Capacity". And yes, I did try formatting the card in the camera.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:51 PM   #5

4GB non-SDHC cards are not standard SD specs. The standard SD specs is for up to 2GB. The SDHC specs allows for 4-32GB cards. Some cameras and card readers will support the non-standard 4GB SD cards. I don't think Fujifilm is a brand that does. The F50fd manual lists 1 & 2GB for SD cards and 4 & 8GB for SDHC cards. You may have to use a SDHC card if you want 4GB or larger capacities.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/SDHC1.pdf
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:49 PM   #6

Thanks dr_spock - that was very informative. Until now, I was unaware of the 2GB boundary. I'll pay closer attention next time I buy any SD cards.

Regards,

--Frank