Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:58 AM   #1

I've seen threads for other cameras, but not these. No more, it's time to start showing what these cameras can do.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:27 AM   #2

Almost all ofthese pictures were taken on autosince I was trying to get up the nearest mountain and back before dark, and all shots were handheld with no bracing whatsoever. I ended up chatting with another hiker for a while and got back a little late, but few extra couple pictures for it. I'll add exif data if requested. None of these pictures have been edited or cropped, but it looks like Flickr killed the exif info and doesn't retain the original size.....dammit...I may have to resize these on my own and host it from my website.

I live in San Diego where we were hit with massive firestorms a couple months ago. These pictures are of the Sweetwater Reservoir area near my home. When I went to sleep around 11 pm the fires looked like they were going to stay far away from my home, but around 1 am I was woken up and told to go outside where I saw the fire cresting the full width of the mountains. Fortunately the winds died as the fires reached the peak and never picked back up, but the fires still slowly worked their way down to the edge of the water.

Here's where the trail started to gain elevation. The target was the electrical lines visible on the mountain just to the left of the hill in the middle. Surprisingly a lot of this area is already growing back.

To the right you can see my goal: Mother Miguel.

These wood posts looked like they were part of a fence, but I couldn't tell if they were on the ground before the fire, or if they fell because of the fire.

Here's a macro shot of a vertebrae from a large mammal, probably a cow.

I was happily surprised to see deer out here. I tracked four deer from the base of the mountain up to this crest. I didn't notice that these deer had antlers, where the deer I had been tracking previously didn't have antlers....so were these two hiding behind the ridge all along? Hmm... Anyway, this was taken at full optical zoom.

Here's what's left our beautiful manzanita trees. These things usually have glossy rich dark orange bark. They're frequently collected, and thus are protected by the park service. You can still see some of the color, but from what I could tell, these weren't going to make a comeback.

Here's a sunset shot just north of the sun. The infamous La Jolla Shores and Cliffs and visible in the distance. I'm not really sure how to take sunset shots, so any criticism would be greatly appreciated here.

Here's some barrel cactus. This one looks like it's going to make it as you can see by the red growth buds. There's a lot of damage, but fortunately there seems to be enough green left for this plant to keep growing. I used macro and flash for this picture.

The sun had already set by the time I captured this picture. I wish I had stuck around longer to mess with the settings to get better exposure of this coyote, but I didn't really want to find out if this critter had buddies on the other side of the ridge after the sunlight was completely gone, so I snapped a couple pics and made haste. At least the skyline is colorful...

Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:56 AM   #3

These pictures were taken the previous day, and is what made me want to go for a hike. These shots were taken with full manual settings, aside from autofocus. These are my first real attempt at using manual settings, so please critique away.

Here's the frontside of the dam. Can you believe this thing was built back in the 1880's? It's supposed to be the first tall dam. In 1916 the was a drought in which San Diego hired a Mr. Hatfield to bring the rain. There's a movie about the incident appropriately named "The Rainmaker". After he did his rain thing, there was torrential rainpour for 4 days. A few days later another storm of nearly the same proportions came, and when the saturated soil couldn't absorb any of it, the dam above this one failed, causing this one to overflow over the top and taking out the ground to the left side of the dam, which flowed into another dam that failed catastrophically and killed many people. Mr. Hatfield came back sometime later to collect his $10,000 from the city. The city told him that if he claimed responsibility for bringing the rain by accepting payment, he'd also accept responsibility caused by the damages the rain brought....he choose not to accept payment. Anyway, the first 60 feet are masonry, and the top 30 feetis aconcrete addition that was added during initial construction.

As to the failure of this dam, I'm partially speculation that it was the rock that gave way. I used to rockclimb in this area, and one of my bestfriends fell nearly 30 feet when some rock gave way while we were freeclimbing. Fortunately my friendfell into a small pond and sustained no injuries!

ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/4.9
Focal Length: 66.7mm

Here's my sunset attempt. I'm not really sure what I should've been trying to do, so I tried to capture some of the colorful. It wasn't the most colorful sunset, but it was a little more orange than this picture shows.

Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 19mm

No story, I just liked the view.

Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 6.2mm

Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:08 PM   #4

You're not likely to get a lot of response. The 9000/9500 is not a very popular model on any of the camera forums. The reviewers didn't particularly care for the camera, and we all know that the people who review cameras really know their stuff. The "experts" base their opinions and their attitudes about a model almost entirely on what they read in the reviews. Personally, I really like my 9000. No, it isn't a perfect camera. And unfortunately it cannot read my mind and produce the images I thought I was capturing. Again, at the risk of being criticized again, I will share this image that I took back in October. I quite like it. But then, I guess we all have our individual tastes.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:11 PM   #5

I really like my Fuji S9000, but there are things I wish were better: 1) more consistent focus, 2) easier to control white balance when I have an external flash. I got mine because of the sample photos, the ability to hand-crank the zoom, and the ability to add an external bounce flash.

Attached Images

GunnisonBeach1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:02 AM   #6

jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7

Ever want to know how close you can get with the S9000? Here's a picture of dust on my uv filter. This was taken in macro mode, iso 400.

[img]www.eugeneleafty.com/forsale/DSCF2657small.jpg[/img]

As interesting as this is, I hope it never happens again. :-)
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:19 PM   #8

How's the composition of this shot? I used smooth the picture, to hide dirt , cropped quite a bit, chopped out the rear fender, kickstand and parking sticker on the front fork. There's some overexposure due to me shooting in the middle of a sunny day. I would've liked to use a longer exposure or some flash to highlight the details of the bike, which would've muted the shadow a little too.

Old May 16, 2008, 3:04 PM   #9

Well, I don't know how well this is going to display because the preview won't show me. This is a four image panorama taken with my S9000.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 2:12 PM   #10

Hi all,
I'm quite satisfied of my 9600s. It's my first digicam ever, I used to shoot with a Nikon F801s, the only thing that I find a bit annoying is the long delay (unless you use fast-speed shooting which leterally eat your batteries). Here a couple of shoot I've done.

Toporagno is offline   Reply With Quote