Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:11 AM   #1

As I'm sure many would agree, Fuji made a flawed camera in the S8000fd. From what I've been reading, Fuji needs to do the following to fix the fatal flaws:
  • add an adapter ring[/*]
  • add RAW capabilities
[/*]
For me to consider this camera it would also need a much shorter time to first shot. What would do you think the next version needs, and what would you like to see?
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:59 PM   #2

Flawed ?, lovely zoom, great IS, good images up to iso 400, What's flawed about that mate ?, the FZ18 has the two thing's that you need so go and handle that cam, and youll see what a flawed build quality feel's like.

coaldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:55 PM   #3

Oh yeah, I'd absolutely call it a flawed design. A camera of that caliber should provide some type of provision for attaching filters. While it may by impossible to mount it directly to the lens like in the S6xxx/S9xxx, it should allow an adapter tube to be attached to the base as in the Canon S5is. It's an especially glaring omission especially since there'd be nothing in their range that can directly compete since the S9xxx doesn't have a Fuji telephoto adapter lens.Then again, if Canon makestheir S5is replacement with 18x zoom, the S8000fd won't have a chance. Panasonic uses battery packs, which is completely unsuitable forpeople like me.

I can see them leaving RAW capabilities out for now, but I think it was a foolish omission when I doubt it would've cost them practically nothing to include.

I'd personally be ecstatic if Fuji upgraded the S9xxx platform with IS, 18x or greater zoom, +6th gen SuperCCD or CMOS,optical viewfinder, stereo microphones, and pc control, but I doubt others would want a camera as hefty as the S9xxx......well, okay, maybe the CMOS and optical viewfinder are unrealistic, but the rest may be necessary to compete with the S5is successor.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:20 AM   #4

I agree with coaldust, it's far from perfect but for what you get from this camera and the low price, it's quite the bargain. Even the Olympus 560 UZ lookalike cam doesn't allow you to use SD cards like the Fuji model does. The IS can't be beat when using the zoom hand-held at it's full 480mm. Not many cameras can allow you to do that. I will admit it really needs some kind of filter adapter but it's the only flaw I see. I found if you use "trial and error" and then write down your good results and the settings /modes you used. It's an almost perfect cam.

Barry
Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:06 PM   #5

A wish list eh???

I agree that an adapter ring would be nice.
I don't really care about the RAW mode, but it might've been interesting to play with.
But the SD cards are a must have, since the xD top-out at 2GB.

The following below could be Firmware updates from Fujifilm...

I'd like to have better shutter speed control beyond 4 seconds, so that I could roll the ISO between 64 to 1600 (ideally 400 or less) at 8M Fine.
Or a firmware fix for the shutter speeds to go up to 15 seconds at least.

When taking multiple pictures with the "Top 3" mode, the LCD/EVF blacks out between pictures, even if I yell manically at the camera "Stop Blacking Out!", that does no good and camera still blacks out.
Note: Perhaps I must yell at it with the memo on...

When taking multiple pictures with the "Top 3" mode, letting go of the button before it takes 3 pics, automatically puts in into single mode again.
I'd like a toggle option for that 'automatic' function in the firmware.

The 15 Burst mode is only 4M or 2M sized pictures, could I have an 8 Burst mode for 8M Fine sized photos please.

"Night Scene" mode rarely works at night away from city lights, so I'd like to toggle the option to control shutter speed settings or ISO for this mode.

I'd like to see these accessories too (firmware updates would be needed):

A remote. Which I noticed are offered, or come with other similar SLR-like cameras by the competition.
I don't care if its a standard remote or a wireless.

External microphone that just snaps on to unlock the movie zooming function while disabling the built-in mic at the same time.

But here's what I'd like to see in the next gen of S8000fd:

I'd like a toggle switch that zooms faster with more pressure I put on the toggle and zoom slower the less I push the toggle switch.
Even if it only had normal zoom speed and a double fast speed
(Like how if I press the trigger halfway I can get it to focus and then fully depressing it takes a picture.)

PS. I've seen a few cameras over the years and I feel that they all have some quirks just like any other tool, so this is nothing new to me, I just observe, learn from it, and adapt.
But for the record, I do feel that a lack of adapter ring is a design misjudgement by Fujifilm.

Well did you ask for a wish list.
JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6

Well, we didn't have to wait long.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...8100fd_pr.html

I started a topic that compares the specs:
But I guess they didn't read what we want on our wish lists, still 10Mp is nice.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:41 AM   #7

Back on the topic of a wish list.
I'd really like to see a door for the AC adapter and USB port like the one that covers the memory cards.
The cheap rubber/plastic silvery thing can be a pain to open or close and I'm worried that I'm gonna break it, plus half the time it seems to fall open or was never closed properly, so it's hanging loose when I pull it out of the camera bag.

Also for the Fujifilm complaint department is the button size.
Several people have all stated that the buttons, especially the MENU/OK button is too small.
Several of the guys have stated that the Menu button and that ring around it was made for a petite 14 year old girl, not for a mid-30's mechanic.
The 4 buttons outside of that MENU/OK ring seem to be far enough from anything else that there is no accidents that lead to button mashing.

Ideally the silver ring by the lens would've had some grip to it so that when the camera is in Manual, I could use the ring for focusing.
I find the current focusing menu too cumbersome.
Or perhaps two thin buttons just to the right of the dial, up at the top along the ridge so that the top of my thumb could press them for quick focusing.

Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:51 AM   #8

I agree about the USB door although I never use it, I'm still angry we don't have a filter adapter for it, this pic I took in Miami Beach tells you why it's needed. Think Fuji will give us a firmware update giving us the added stuff they put on the s8100? I doubt it.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...-DFW/Kites.jpg

JH2007 wrote:
Quote:
Back on the topic of a wish list.
I'd really like to see a door for the AC adapter and USB port like the one that covers the memory cards.
The cheap rubber/plastic silvery thing can be a pain to open or close and I'm worried that I'm gonna break it, plus half the time it seems to fall open or was never closed properly, so it's hanging loose when I pull it out of the camera bag.

Also for the Fujifilm complaint department is the button size.
Several people have all stated that the buttons, especially the MENU/OK button is too small.
Several of the guys have stated that the Menu button and that ring around it was made for a petite 14 year old girl, not for a mid-30's mechanic.
The 4 buttons outside of that MENU/OK ring seem to be far enough from anything else that there is no accidents that lead to button mashing.

Ideally the silver ring by the lens would've had some grip to it so that when the camera is in Manual, I could use the ring for focusing.
I find the current focusing menu too cumbersome.
Or perhaps two thin buttons just to the right of the dial, up at the top along the ridge so that the top of my thumb could press them for quick focusing.

Barry in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:52 PM   #9

leaftye wrote:
Quote:
As I'm sure many would agree, Fuji made a flawed camera in the S8000fd. From what I've been reading, Fuji needs to do the following to fix the fatal flaws:
  • add an adapter ring[/*]
  • add RAW capabilities[/*]
For me to consider this camera it would also need a much shorter time to first shot. What would do you think the next version needs, and what would you like to see?
disagree.
i dont think "carry-all-araound" P&S Ultrazoom camera need such adapter and RAW.
which is more SERIOUSLY lack SD8x00 is more powerful[equals to sensor and camera itself ca[ablities]processor[or maybe two ;] and SuperCCD sensor.
and that processor - cannot handle RAW(even w/o compression)shooting even with larger RAM buffer and presulting speed performance is can be laughable.
for me - TIFF[preffered - 16-bit]quitte enough. sadly, Fuji scrap this feat since 900 model.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:00 AM   #10

Quote:
cannot handle RAW
what??
http://photo.net/learn/raw/

And here's 2 discusions on why the Adapter Ring and Remote is important:
Quote:
The S8000fd lags way behind all the competition and even the Sony superzooms comes with lens adapter and remote.