Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1

Hi

Does anyone encounter a problem with the USB cable?. Every time I want to transfert photosfrom the camerato my computer I still get the message " COMMUNICATION ERROR "

I communicate with Fuji Canada and sent it to service for repair. They made test and found thatthe USB cable wasfaulty, and shipped me a new one.

But I still have the same problem. The only way I could make that cable work is

by pressing the cable in the camera connector and holding itwith pressure ,until all the images were transfered to computer.

I guess I will have to contact Fuji again or buy another cable. At this point I am not really happy with this cam.

glcorbeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:01 PM   #2

Try a card reader for your memory cards in order to get them to upload to the computer. It will also save you battery power from your camwera as the camera does not have to be powered on in order to trabnsfer your photos.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:00 PM   #3

I agree with Dave's suggestion. Downloading directly from the camera should only be a last ditch effort when you don't have any other alternatives. Even then this is a process that really should be avoided if at all possible. It is much safer and more reliable to use a card reader.

Having said that, I realize that many of you have downloaded from your cameras and have never encountered any problems whatsoever. However, all the reading I have done has indicated that downloading from the camera is not a good choice.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:02 PM   #4

Could the problem be with the camera? Perhaps the pins are a tad too short and you pushing on the cable is making the connection. Also I would never transfer pics from camera to computer without plugging the camera into an ac/dc source. The 60 bucks I paid for the plug in has paid for itself over again with the pics Ive taken and the reliability of picture transfers.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:17 AM   #5

What?, why can't you transfer directly?, I didn't know THAT before... :!:haha.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6

Thank you for your comments.

I will get a card reader today and an AC adapter will be the next step.

just for clarification, the camera comes with two different cables. One is USB and the other is for video. So I can view the pictures taken to TV.

The Video cable fit perfectly tight in the camera connector and never have problem using it. This is why I suspected the USB cable faulty.

Anyway, I will go for the card reader option.

Happy New Year eveyone

Guy
glcorbeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7

Having to buy a card reader and an AC adapter is ridiculous - make Fuji fix the problem. There is no reason why you should have to hold your USB cable while transferring pictures to your computer - none.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:50 AM   #8

Rinnie you are right in what you say however, buying an ac adapter is a good investment. I do a lot of shooting indoors where hydro is readily available. Its a great savings on batteries in the long run. Especially when doing things like drop shots where they can run into the hundreds. Also Im always plugged in when transferring pics to the computer. It guarantees a safe transfer.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:04 PM   #9

Regarding the AC adapter, Bynx, I guess it really depends on the type of shooting you do. Personally I couldn't be bothered trying to take pictures with my camera plugged into the wall (I might forget). NiMH batteries are cheap, and I get about 400 shots per charge with my camera. And, they're relatively inexpensive - you can buy quite a few for $60. Regarding the reliability factor of picture transfer, my old Fuji (with 4 NiMH AA's) will run for over 9 hours in playback mode. I imagine yours will too. If you were to transfer even a full 2 GB xD card, how long would that take? 6 or 7 minutes? Provided you don't start the transfer with a low battery warning showing in your display, you shouldn't have a problem. Using an AC adapter doesn't really guarantee a safe transfer. What if you have a power failure during transfer? Or a power surge? Lost data...camera damage? I'll stick to battery power.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:13 AM   #10

6 to 7 minutes for 2GB didn't seem right so I did a test.......

I did a test with my Fuji S-9100 and USB cable to do transfer to my laptop and then did the same test with my 12-in-1 memortycard reader that I got at Sams Club in Jan 2007. My laptop was using USB 2.0 port and 2Gb of ram.

I only have a 1GB xD and I used the H series card vs M series (I have both).

1GB took 6 minutes 12 secondsto upload via USB cable and camera

With memory card reader it took5 minutes 48 seconds

Then I used my 2GB sandisc Ultra II CF card and upload times were about 45 seconds faster per GB

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote