Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:46 PM   #1
djb

Default s602z sharpness

i have the s602z and really like it. but, is it my imagination or is it the actual camera that just doesn't seem to have a crispness (for lack of a better term) in it's imaging? i see some of these pictures, especially macros, from other comparable cameras and there is a real crisp image compared to what i have seen out of my s602z. i have a coworker with a fuji 4900 and his in focus shots lack a real crisp focus too. i know postprocessing helps but, even with post processing the fuji pics still don't appear "crisp" to me. i generally use 6mp fine and soft. even with fine and normal ther just doesn't seem like that real sharpness is there. i've only posted 2 pics in the closeup forum (flymates & twin flowers) to look at. i may post a few more in the near future. so is it me???!!!! or is it the camera???
are any of you s602z users experiencing this??

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:12 AM   #2

There's a lot said about in-camera sharpening. All digital cameras have to have it to compensate for the optical bandwidth filter used to reduce aliasing, caused by digital processing. However, the amount applied can depend on what the output pic will be - web, large print or data projector. This is why many shoot 6Mpix Fine Soft. At least you can put in the right amount afterwards -'cos you can't take it out if there's too much for a large print. The pain is you must look at post sharpening - even in batch mode (but not always optimum) for each shot.

If you've got PS try 'Unsharp Mask' with a radius of 3 pixels and 75% level with a 0-4 threshold. Some will go for lower radius, but this looked O.K for me. When your pics are so sharpened you can just make out JPEG artefacts in plain areas or get 'cardboard cutout' look- you've overcooked it
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 2:48 PM   #3
djb

thanx, Voxmagna!!! can you explain pixel radius?? i have photodeluxe home 4.0 which is no longer offered. it came with my camera. it does have unsharp masking, pixel radius. and threshold functions. i guess i'll have to play around with that.

dennis
Old Sep 10, 2003, 4:39 AM   #4

Dennis. I suggest you to check the very useful information behind the link. It gives you advices how to get the best out of your camera.

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...ams/fuji_s602/
bassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 5:36 AM   #5

Hey bassino, the most useful thing for me from your link was the 42 NeatImage noise profiles for a S602 - Many thanks - VOX
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Hey bassino, the most useful thing for me from your link was the 42 NeatImage noise profiles for a S602 - Many thanks - VOX
Yep! I love to use those profiles too. Nice work from the author.
bassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 4:44 PM   #7

I'll drop Chris a line of thanks, he's active over the other side, I was going to do this myself so I appreciate the time it could have taken me.

In case the first poster gets confused, I'll just add that noise reduction is something to do before sharpening, on high ISO pics so you don't sharpen the noise and make it look worse! But for most correctly exposed pics at 160-200 ASA in good light, it shouldn't make much difference for average size prints. Cheers - VOX
Old Sep 10, 2003, 4:44 PM   #8

Double post deleted.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:17 PM   #9
djb

thanx guys!!!! i have seen that s602z comparison before. it helps but still not convinced that if i had a nikon cp5700 or such that the fuji would really compare with it in macro. don't get me wrong, i really do like my camera and for the money i think at the time was the best buy around.

dennis