Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:52 PM   #1

I need to know if anyone has used a 16GB Cf card in their Duji S-9100. Does it work and do you get the full 16GB (well 15.whatever after formatting) for picture storage. I need a very large card for my Fuji but don't want top buy a 16GB if it won't work.

I know 4GB cards work fine

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:20 PM   #2

I sent an e-mail to Fuji tech support since they compatability chart doesn't list CF card sizes (only microdrives 2, 4 and 6GB). I got a repsonse and they said we have not tested that camera with any CF cards above 4GB as noted on the chart 4Gb is the largest CF card we have tested with.They also sent me the link to the chart and the chart makes no mention of any CF working with the camera as the colum where CF is listed it says NO. But the MD colum says 2GB 4GB and 6B yes.

Strange. Also on this site and another review site they point you to the chart at Fujis site that is usless for my question. Wonder why no one at Fuji or any reviewers have this simple answer.

dave
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:14 PM   #3
Administrator

That's very common (manufacturers not testing the cameras with newer cards).

I did a bit of digging and found two different users that said they were using 8GB CompactFlash cards without any problems in this model. But, I haven't found anyone using a 16GB Card in one yet.

You'd probably have to try one to find out unless you can find another s9100/s9600 user that has tried a larger card.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:22 AM   #4

Fwiw, I'm using an 8 GB card in my S-9000. I haven't come close to filling it up, so I don't know how close to capacity it'd get.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:57 AM   #5

Maybe I am better to get an 8GB (or 2 of them) instead of 12 or 16GB card.

The basic need for the large card is that I have been asked to shoot a wedding (as the offical photographer)and all the events that surround it for the family.I know I am no pro and they allknow that but are bagging me to do it anyway (and offered me $200 to cover my supplies and cost of DVDs I will need to burn the photros onfor the bride and groom and their families.) I figured I'd want to get the largest card possible so I won't have it fill up at the worest possible time. I already have a 2GB and a 4GB CF cards that I can also use. I perfer to shoot 9MP fine jpeg mode as the RAWS never come out looking good to my eye even after I fight to edit them..... I guess I don't know how to handle raws or my computer doesn't handle them properly....... Anyway the files are between 4.5MB and 5MB a piece.

From a past family wedding I shoot as a favor when the professional backed out with a week to go because he overbooked and dropped his lower cost client of the two (the bride didn't want to pay forall the little extras he was trying to sell her).I shot at 5MP fine on my old Fuji S-5200 and took almost 1400 photosin one day. I was lucky in that everyone came through for the bride and their was a laptop with card reader there and one of the uncles upload my 1GB xD cards to the computer and erased them for me asI continued to shoot. Someone came up with a portable wolverine device (before I had mine) that we used to get the pictures from the laptop to my computer at home.

Well I will wait this out and see what happens. The wedding in not till the first weekend in May so I have some time to figure this all out.

Thanks to those who have told me they can use 8GB cards without issue.

dave
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:59 AM   #6

You can take this with a grain of salt. But a lot of the reading I have done suggests that you are much wiser using multiple smaller cards than one large card. The reason being is that if the one large card develops a problem there is the potential of losing all of your images.

I think your camera is capable of producing good images of a wedding. But don't forget about the write time. You aren't going to be able to take raw images in rapid succession.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Administrator

I've got a 16GB Transcend 133x CompactFlash Card and it's been working fine in my Sony A700. See my posts about it here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=52&page=2

From my perspective, you're more likely to have a problem with the cards or cameras if you're swapping cards (insertion/removal mechanism, bent or broken pins, damage from voltage spikes, etc.), versus a card failure with a larger card.

They've been getting larger and larger for years while still remaining reliable.

I do format my memory cards using the camera's menu choice for format prior to every use, and only read versus write to cards with a PC for the most part (to reduce the possibility of unflushed writes in cache corrupting the FAT).

From my perspective, most problems are going to be FAT (File Allocation Table) related, and images are usually recoverable when that happens. You see MBR problems from time to time that can prevent windows based tools from seeing cards. But those are usually recoverable using good tools, too (for example, ddrescue under Linux can do a sector by sector copy of a card, working around hard errors that would stop most other recovery tools).

You do see complete failures from time to time. But, I don't think they're any more likely to happen on larger versus smaller cards within a given brand/model series.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:41 PM   #8

Jim

What I am worried about is buy a 16GB card and having it not reconginezed as a full 16GB card in my Fuji S-9100. I have read that some D-SLR will only read 8GB of a 16GB card. Also newegg.com customer service tells me once the card is open and used they won't take it back unless its damged ( and they will nedd to variefy that) in order to refund my money. Soif was to find out the firweare in the Fuji can't handle the full 16GB newegg most likely won't take it back and let me get 2x 8GB cards.

I am going to try to go a Best Buy andcompUSAFriday and see if they have a 16GB card I can test in my camera. I will report back.

dave

Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:16 PM   #9

I got another e-mail just a few minutes ago from fuji tech support which is really mind boggoling. This person told me that the S-9100 can not use CF card at all which is why that capacity was not listed on the chart and thati have to use MD (which I take it to be micro drives0 and 6GB is the largest the camera can use. We are sorry to report that CF will not work in this camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Well I know CF cards work at least my 4GB works and other person wrote on here that he uses an 8GB card.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I guess the tech support people don't know their own camera and the S-9100 is less than a year old. REALLY SAD!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also today I called bhphotovideo,andorma (?? spelling)and tigerdirect and ask them the same question to see if they could be of help. I also asked about their return policies in case I open the card and it does not work. Only bhphotovideo said they would take it back and minus shipping which I have to pay to return itwill apply the price towards another purchase but only if the card has all the packaging etc. So if I got a 16GB card from them and it didn't work I am only out about $6 to return it and I can get 2x 8GB ordered...... but I also noticed that bhphotovideo is the highest prices of the 6 places i looked at for 16GB and 8GB CF cards. Newegg is diffidently the lowest and Jim Cs 16GB card is the lowest price I have found so far.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Goung to Best Buy and Compusa Friday to see if they have any ideas or if i can test a card in the store. Will report back later.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:29 AM   #10

"It's alive!"

Yesterday I got a Transcend 16gb card from Newegg for my s9000. My daughter's 1st birthday is coming up, I saw I got only about 13 minutes of video to my 1 gig card on an S9000, and I figured 1 hour of video might not be enough, so the maximum 4gb CF card prescribed by Fuji couldn't do it alone. If an 8gb card was untested as well, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a 16gb, and the price wasn't bad, about $78.

Got the card. Popped it in the camera, in video mode. Swore. Only showed 61 minutes 7 seconds remaining, or it was only using 4gb. Reformatted from the camera. Still only showed 61 minutes 7 seconds. Took some video. Hit stop. Looked. Only showed 61 minutes and 7 seconds remaining. ... It was working!

Now, this is an S9000, not a 9100. But it sure seems to be working, even though the camera can't comprehend just how much more video it can shoot ... It should be close to four hours.

In film mode, it's ridiculous. I think after shooting stills and some video last night of my girl knocking down blocks I still have room for 6,725 images.

I haven't downloaded this yet, so I don't know how fast the transfer rate really is. It gets mixed reviews on Newegg -- really fast, the 133x it's supposed to be, or maybe more like half that, really slow ... ? That only affects downloading. If you're downloading 16gb, you're going to want to make a sandwich anyway, right?

I suspect the card's speed, whatever it is, is almost certainly better than my S9000. I haven't used it much, but I've seen no indication that the card is slowing the camera down.

I -believe- the S9100 is very very similar to the S9000, so I suspect, but don't know for sure, that you might have similar experiences. Before ordering, I'd say, make sure you read the return policy; I certainly did.

Then ... go nuts.

I'm grateful this thread showed up in Google; I'm posting here on the premise others may find it as well, or the original posters from a couple weeks back will return.

Another note: I have no idea how long the camera can keep the video going -- what happens if i try to let it run for 62 minutes?
Boogerhead is offline   Reply With Quote