Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:50 AM   #1

Default s5000 vs. 3800

I have owned a 3800 for almost a year now (it's worked very well for me) and have become interested in the new s5000. The biggest differences are the s5000 has a bigger zoom, better ccd, video out, better flash, AF illuminator, better movie mode, and more manual controls.

Does anyone think it's worth upgrading to the s5000 from the 3800, and has anyone done it yet? If so what are your experiences?
yankeeprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:55 PM   #2

Default I'm ready to do the same thing!

I am ready to upgrade from my 3800 also. I would appreciate any feedback...
nobueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 6:18 AM   #3

I own a 3800. As far as I am concerned, its only disadvantage is low light without flash, though I really wonder if this isnít a problem with ANY digital camera short of the high-end professional models. I am considering the s5000, but also waiting for reviews on the s7000, which supposedly shoots upwards to ISO 800 with minimum noise. I might spend a little extra, assuming the camera really can function acceptably in low light. Or, the Olympus c-5050ís f1.8 aperture and ISO 400 (operating with xD card) looks intriguing, too. (I shoot a lot of pictures of kids inside the house, schools, auditorium, etc.)
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:00 PM   #4

I have the 602, and when this one eventually dies, I will probably get the S7000. However, I hope by that time, the S7000 will be upgraded with a 10X or 12X zoom. I use the macro modes a lot, as well as the zoom. I crop a lot of my shots, so the more pixels, the better. On the other hand, during vacation, I take hundreds of pictures, so with potentially having 12 megapixel shots, I will need to get another card or 2. I like the 640 X 480 video clips... they are a lot of fun. Plus, the boost in the ISO with the S7000 will be very helpful. I like shooting on Priority Auto mode, and most of my pics are taken on 400 ISO. If your main use for the camera is standard point and click large frame shots, the S5000 may be a better choice. While I was framing mountains and elk this summer, I realized I could have used either more pixels, a larger optical zoom (greater than 6X), or both. Regarding the macro versus the super macro modes....... I use the macro mode at full zoom at 6 megapixels, and crop to get the shot I want. I like this better than the super macro mode because I can get better lighting, and a better depth of field.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote