Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:53 PM   #1

Hi

I am planning to buy the 9 Mp fujifilm finepix s9600/s9100.
I will be doing amature photography.

It supports Xd picture card up to 2GB
and Compact flash

which one is better to buy?

is the speed of the card is important??what speed card should I get?

I will be buying a 2GB card to start with.
dhawald3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:53 PM   #2

The Xd cards seem to be slightly less expensive for the same size card (at least by mail order, from a reputable place like B&H).

Some testers have claimed that the Fuji S9xxx series writes ever so slightly faster to the Xd card than to the Compact Flash cards. Enough to make a significant diffference? Maybe to a lab weenie ...

However,down the road if you move on to a professional-quality D-SLR itslikely going to usea Compact Flash card (or an SD card). I think only the Olympus D-SLR cameras have a dual slot like theS9100 to also take an Xd card - even Fuji's pro slr doesn't use it (and Fuji, along with Olympus, is I think one of the co-developers of theXd card).So your Xd card becomes a conversation piece unless you buy an Olympus D-SLR. That's about the only downside to it.

Personally I prefer the larger CF card, its easier to handle for me. If you have bigger hands you might find that to be true also.

jZ

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:27 AM   #3

I will be doing photography as a hobby.

what is the minimum speed of card in Mbytes/s I should get
so as not to get a very long file write delay?

should I get at least 133x CF or a lower speed will do?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:57 PM   #4

The S9100 does seem to respond well to a faster card. I'd recommend you don't worry about the theoretical write speeds, though,because those are just lab measurements - real life shooting is your main concern, not how fast data is theoreticaly transferred. Because the truth is,in real life the fastest card may not buy you a thing in SOME shooting conditions.

Here'sanexample using myreal life measurements: If I shoot an image with the camera set to RAW capture it requires approximately 10 seconds to write that image to a standard-speed Sandisk card (the huge size of the RAW files really requires this much time - JPEGs are written MUCH faster, but RAW is easier to time things to show the different card speeds). If I shoot the same image on a Sandisk Ultra II it requires only 5 seconds- its twice as fast in real life (regardless if the manufactures claimed data transfer rate says its 4-times faster or whatever). Now maybe a Sandisk Extreme III or IVwould be a tiny bit faster still (I don't have one to test), but its not going to be significantly faster because the Ultra II is already a pretty fast card.

But before you automatically assume that faster is always better let me toss in another variable - the camera's flash. If I shoot an image using thebuilt-in flash, and I shoot a subject far enough away that the flash utilizes every bit of power available to it, I find its still 10 seconds to write the RAW file to the standard-speed Sandisk card. However, if I use the UltraII the time now stretches outto 8 seconds vice the previous 5.Its still 5 seconds towrite the file, but the flash requires a full 8-9 seconds to recycle itself, so its at least 8 seconds before I can shoot another image. If the Extreme II or IV cards are a little faster the camera may not in the real world be able to ulilize their advantage because you'll be waiting on the flash anyway. That's nothing unique to the S9100, by the way- we have a Canon point-&-shoot that can write to an Ultra II in about 1-1/2 seconds (these are small JPEGs) and a standard-speed Sandisk in about 4-1/2. But if using the flash at maximum distance (that is most of the time because theflash only has a 10-11 foot range) it takes 5 seconds no matter which card is used - the Ultra II's advantage only exists outdoors.

So yes, get a faster card, but don't spend the $$$ the get "the very fastest" is my view. You'll be happy with an of the middle-speed cards, I think. Just stick to a name-brand card and do NOT buy them on Ebay (where its estimated 90% are counterfeit and either smaller or slower than they are fraudulently marked). 95% of the cards I've ever used were Sandisk and I've never had a single failure, so I can vouch for their quality, but I'm sure others are good to.

Oh, one other difference between CF and Xd cards - apparently the largest Xd card you can use in the S9100 is 2GB, but the CF cards can be larger (4 or 8GB).

jZ

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:10 AM   #5

I have an ATP 1gb 60X Compact Flash and a Fujifilm xD M 1gb ( don't know the speed) in my S9100 and there's no noticeable difference in write speeds.

The CF card does download to my computer a lot faster than the xD though.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:17 AM   #6

dhawald3 wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I am planning to buy the 9 Mp fujifilm finepix s9600/s9100.
I will be doing amature photography.

It supports Xd picture card up to 2GB
and Compact flash

which one is better to buy?

is the speed of the card is important??what speed card should I get?

I will be buying a 2GB card to start with.
Buy Compact Flash for the sole reason that when you eventually move on to an SLR you will be able to use your cards and save yourself some money. Btw you can also use MicroDrives in the Compact Flash drive. CF is the standard card across all SLR brand a lot of bridge cameras. XD is only supported by Fuji & Olympus.
jaqian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7

jaqian wrote:
Quote:
[b]
Buy Compact Flash for the sole reason that when you eventually move on to an SLR you will be able to use your cards and save yourself some money. Btw you can also use MicroDrives in the Compact Flash drive. CF is the standard card across all SLR brand a lot of bridge cameras. XD is only supported by Fuji & Olympus.
what are the speeds of microdrive compared to CF

and are they cheaper than CF??
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:54 PM   #8

CF card are more rugged mthat microdrive cards.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:16 AM   #9

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
CF card are more rugged than microdrive cards.

dave
As CF are the choice of professionals they are generally faster than other makes of cards.

Btw if you are getting the S9600/9100 make sure you buy it new. It has a common fault where the command dial breaks so will need it under guarantee. I know the fault is very common with my S9500/9000 but not sure how common it is with the newer version of the camera.
jaqian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:23 AM   #10

2GB sandisc Ultra II or 16GB transcend 133x speed cards are the ones I use the most. I also have a 4GB 100x PQI card all compact flash cards.

I have 3x 1GB xD cards but I find the xD cards are not quit as fast shot to shot and also take longer to upload to my computer.

I do always keep a 1GB xD H series card in the camera as a back up in case something goes wrong with my CF card or gets filled up. However I haven't used an xD in the camera for several months now.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote