Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:25 PM   #31

As I first started reading about the S100FS, I thought I'd decided on a replacement for my still-beloved S7000. But then I saw two things that really bother me: the move to a proprietary battery and the weight.

On the first issue, I love the convenience and affordability of AA batteries. And the propspect of having to pay$40/pop to get the additionalbattery packs... and still not getting thesame kind of freedom to shoot (almost) indefinitely without finding a plugI get with AA's makes this less attractive a camera to me. But it's the second issue that I'm really concerned about.

Just over two pounds for a non-DSLR camera seems insane... and that's without the battery. If Amazon's preorder info is to be believed, the NP-140 will add another 12 ounces to the weight, bringing it to a total of just over 44 oz before you factor in any accessories, carrying case, etc. If I'm going to have to lug around a nearly 3lb camera... and have to pay somewhere in the area of $800 to do so... I'd might as well just go with a DSLR.

I'm guessing that there are some people who this camera will appeal to enough to make all that worth the price and inconvenience... but I'm not one of them.
vyper1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:35 PM   #32

" Just over two pounds for a non-DSLR camera seems insane..."

Think about why it's so heavy...it has a 2/3" sensor, which is huge compared to the 1/1.7" sensor your S7000 has. Bigger sensors require bigger lenses...bigger lenses weigh more - simple physics. The S100fs has a large zoom range - 28-400mm (14.3x) - big zoom lenses weigh more than smaller zooms.

"If I'm going to have to lug around a nearly 3lb camera... and have to pay somewhere in the area of $800 to do so... I'd might as well just go with a DSLR."

Amazon will have the S100fs at a price of $741.71, delivered. I'm sure the price will drop even more as time goes on. You think DSLR's are lighter than the S100fs? Let's take a look at what a very popular entry level DSLR weighs - the Canon XTI. Body alone is 18 oz. A 17-85mm zoom lens weighs 16.8 oz. You're already up to 34.8 oz, and that's without a battery. You're also over $1000. It also doesn't give you anywhere near the zoom range of the S100fs. For that, you would have to add another zoom, say the 70-300mm. That weighs 22.2 oz and costs another $560. If you're so concerned about weight, you'd better forget a DSLR. This little combo weighs 3.5 lbs and costs around $1600. Also, every time you want to go from wide angle to a long range zoom, you have to change lenses...you don't have to do that with the S100fs.

"I'm guessing that there are some people who this camera will appeal to enough to make all that worth the price and inconvenience... but I'm not one of them."

I have no idea what you mean by inconvenience, but I do understand the weight and cost part. My point is that when you are ready to move up to a better camera, you have to make concessions...more weight, higher cost, steeper learning curve, etc. They have yet to invent a pocket cam that can compete with a high end DSLR, and maybe they never will.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:19 PM   #33

I agree with much, in fact most, of what you have to say. I understand fully that a DSLR will weigh and cost more. But having owneda number of pocketable/smaller point-and-shoots and some of the bulkier DSLR-type prosumers, over the years (with the s7k being the largest I'vegone with, to date), I find that the S100FS would move me so far along the way toward the weight and cost of a DSLR that if I were going to consider going that far, I'd might as well go the last few steps toward one.

Up to this point, I've talked myself out of a DSLR on grounds that they require more time and effort than is justified by my meager needs. And it's entirely possible that I'll keep putting it off for a good while longer. But in the meantime, it's nice to have the flexibility that bridge cameras offer; just not nice enough (again, for me) to make me go quite so far across the bridge.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:58 AM   #34

I gotta go look at those pics on Amazon. This camera sounds very cool to me. And maybe I'm the oddball here, but I am excited about the LiON battery, I hate double A batteries. They never last very long and seem to lose their umph so fast. Right now my wife uses my Fuji S6000 and I use my DSLR, I charge my battery a few times a month and shoot a lot more pics than she does and seems she's always got the charger out. Maybe our everready batteries aren't so every ready lol

Does anyone have a link or can point me to where Wendy talks about and shows the sample pics? I searched amazon and can't find it
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:26 PM   #35

It's three images, as far as I can tell, and I don't see anything in the way of commentary. But here's the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-im...1TQOC678FIVGT/

Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:30 PM   #36

vyper1212 wrote:
Quote:
It's three images, as far as I can tell, and I don't see anything in the way of commentary. But here's the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-im...1TQOC678FIVGT/

Cool thanks! I'll go look now. Man, I can't wait for a real test from Steve or someone on here. Dying to know if ISO 800 looks as good as it does on the S6000fd.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:31 PM   #37

That link is for an S1000fd...not the same camera as S100fs...

Highway - try a set of Eneloops in your S6000.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:04 AM   #38

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
That link is for an S1000fd...not the same camera as S100fs...

Highway - try a set of Eneloops in your S6000.

the Hun

Ah dang thanks for letting me know on that link

Eneloops, I've heard of those, I will get those then. Thanks for the tip, these everyreadys are terrible. Even in a few days of no use much of the charge fades away.

Hey Rinnie are you thinking about getting the S100fs?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:27 AM   #39

Highway,

The Eneloops are great, especially if you have a camera (or other device) that isn't used on a regular basis. You can let your camera sit around for months, and the batteries will be fine...very low self discharge.

I'm somewhat interested in the S100fs. Itdepends on just how good it really is. I have an S6000 now, and I'm very happy with it. I would like to get a bit more reach on the top end, and the S100 would seem to get me there - but not at the expense of losing low light performance, which (as I'm sure you know) the S6000 is very good at.

I can't understand why Fuji discontinued certain models like the S6000 and the F31. Their latest cameras are crap in comparison. I'm hoping that they make a comeback with the S100fs...we shall see.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:22 PM   #40

Quote:
The Eneloops are great, especially if you have a camera (or other device) that isn't used on a regular basis. You can let your camera sit around for months, and the batteries will be fine...very low self discharge.
Those sound really great. Thanks again for the info. on those, bye bye to the never-readys lol

Quote:
I'm somewhat interested in the S100fs. Itdepends on just how good it really is. I have an S6000 now, and I'm very happy with it. I would like to get a bit more reach on the top end, and the S100 would seem to get me there - but not at the expense of losing low light performance, which (as I'm sure you know) the S6000 is very good at.
That's my thing too. If the S100 can't shoot night ISO 800's in the daylight even, then I wouldn't want it either. The bracketing functions, picture styles and dynamic range adjustments sound very cool but not worth losing the good higher isos.

Quote:
I can't understand why Fuji discontinued certain models like the S6000 and the F31. Their latest cameras are crap in comparison. I'm hoping that they make a comeback with the S100fs...we shall see
So the 6000 is discontinued now? :sad: Oh man, I sure hope even more then, that the S100 is good. The 6000 is so much above most the other superzooms out there.