Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:34 AM   #1
Administrator

See the press releases for more information:

8-megapixel 3x Finepix J50 and 7-megapixel J10

12-megapixel 5x Finepix F100fd

10-megapixel 3x Finepix Z20fd

10-megapixel 12x Finepix S1000fd

11-megapixel 14.3x Finepix S100fs

10-megapixel 18x Finepix S8100fd

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:11 PM   #2

Will the F100fd be the ultimate small digicam? Very possibly, based on its specifications.

I'm really looking forward to some reviews and sample photos.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:50 PM   #3

I can't wait to see the reviews on the S100fs...2/3" 11 MP sensor...ISO 10,000... 28-400mm zoom...manual zoom ring...hot shoe...IS...etc.....

Steve - review this one first!!!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:08 PM   #4

S1000fd replaces S700/S5700? but i like non extending lens on S5700 better and the aperture on S5700 at telephoto setting is still fast enough (3.7) compared to S1000fd (5.0):sad:

S100fs replaces S9100/S9600? i don't like the li-ion battery, i want AAs!

but wait...2/3" sensor...IS...aaah, what the heck...it's gonna be the greatest prosumer buti still love my S9600:G

but the specs are so tempting...:evil:...time to sell my S9600?
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5

I can't wait to see the reviews on the S100fs...2/3" 11 MP sensor...ISO 10,000... 28-400mm zoom...manual zoom ring...hot shoe...IS...etc.....

But it won't take CF cards and I have a lot of money tied up in CF cards. Now I have to buy SD/SDHC cards..... why did Fuji drop support for CF cards.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6

You don't have to buy SD...new, faster xD cards are coming. And eventually, the capacity should increase to around 8 GB.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...#olympus_newxd

the Hun
Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:45 PM   #7
Administrator

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
You don't have to buy SD...new, faster xD cards are coming. And eventually, the capacity should increase to around 8 GB.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...#olympus_newxd
Olympus is only claiming that they're 1.5x faster than current Class M cards.

That's still incredibly slow compared to the lastest Secure Digital Cards (running up to 20MB/second, or roughly 5 times as fast), and CompactFlash Cards (with newer cards testing at around 45MB/second, or roughly 11 times as fast).

As for capacity of xD Picturecard reaching 8GB eventually, you can already buy 16GB Secure Digital or CompactFlash cards for under $100 (and some vendors are starting to stock 32GB cards now).

Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:01 PM   #8

In the few professional reviews I've seen, which tested the speed of an xD card vs an SD or CF in the same camera (and naturally, this could only occur with a Fuji camera), there wasn't a huge difference in speed between card types. In at least one case, the xD was actually faster than a CF (S9000). Assuming this is true (for whatever reason), I don't care if a CF or SD card is 10,000 times faster than an xD in some lab test...if they run at the same speed in a Fuji S100fs, there's no advantage to buying a CF or SD over an xD (other than greater capacity or a couple of dollars in price). As far as capacity goes, you can buy a 32GB CF card at Newegg for $135. One hundred thirty five dollars...how much capacity do you need...and how much do you need to spend to get it? Most of the computers I've owned had smaller hard drives than 32GB. But hold on, the 64GB cards will be out soon...

Personally, I have trouble filling up a 1 GB card, so I really don't care if someone comes out with a 256 GB card or a 1 TB card tomorrow...I'm not buying one.

But to be fair to Photo 5, I think Fuji succumbed to all those who have whined about having to buy xD cards for their cameras, and demanded SD capability. They got their wish, and unfortunately (for some), in order to step up the Fuji ladder, they now feel they have to buy SD media. And that's why I mentioned the new higher speed xD cards. If the current xD card provides the same performance as a CF or SD in an existing Fuji camera, then it would seem logical that the new xD card should improve the performance.

the Hun

Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:40 PM   #9
Administrator

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
In the few professional reviews I've seen, which tested the speed of an xD card vs an SD or CF in the same camera (and naturally, this could only occur with a Fuji camera), there wasn't a huge difference in speed between card types.
Look at tests of newer Olympus models that support more than one card type.

For example, Phil Askey's tests over at dpreview.com showed that a 133x CompactFlash card in an OlympuS E-510 had a buffer full frame rate that was about 4.5 times as fast shooting jpeg shq compared to a Type H xD Picturecard in this camera (0.6 frames per second for the xD Picturecard versus 2.7 frames per second for the 133x CompactFlash Card). The difference wasn't quite as bad shooting raw (but, CF was still more than twice as fast).

Their newer Oly E-3 is *much* faster writing to media compared to the E-510. I haven't looked at any direct comparisons of xD Picturecard versus CF in it yet. But, the new Oly E-3 can write to a Lexar 300x UDMA CF card at around 40MB/Second. Scroll down on this page and see some tests:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx

I doubt you're going to see write speeds of more than about 4MB/Second out of the new Type M cards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Pict...ransfer_speeds

If you don't shoot sports, or never take enough photos in a burst to fill up the camera's internal buffer, you may not care about card speed. But, if you do want to shoot using continuous mode often (especially if you're shooting raw or raw + jpeg), a fast card is nice to have.

We're seeing faster and faster cameras now, with faster write speeds to media (allowing faster "full buffer" frame rates, faster buffer flush times and more).

We're also seeing larger file sizes (thanks to higher resolution sensors). For example, I've used in excess of 13GB of a 16GB card more than once shooting raw + jpeg with a Sony Alpha 700.

Quote:
I don't care if a CF or SD card is 10,000 times faster than an xD in some lab test...if they run at the same speed in a Fuji S100fs, there's no advantage to buying a CF or SD over an xD (other than greater capacity or a couple of dollars in price).
If the trend towards faster write speeds with cameras at this price point holds true for newer "Prosumer" Fujifilm models like the S100FS, then newer Secure Digital Cards (Extreme III, etc.) should be much faster in them, once the camera's internal buffer is full (i.e., full buffer frame rate, buffer flush times).

Hopefully, Fujifilm won't cripple write speed to other media types in any upcoming camera models designed to support more than one media type. We'll have to wait and see how the new models like the S100FS perform.

Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:02 PM   #10

I specifically excluded DSLR's from my discussion, since it was not relevant to the P&S models identified in this thread. However, since you brought it up...

I don't see the huge advantage you stated in SD performance in the dpreview test.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse510/page11.asp

Until the buffer is full, they're virtually in a dead heat...where is the 5x performance advantage you stated in your preceeding post? You referred to "the latest Secure Digital cards" being roughly 5 times as fast. Isn't the 8 GB Extreme IV one of the latest SD cards? I don't see a 5x advantage there. OK, when the buffer is full, and you continue shooting in burst mode, and you are using a Lexar Pro SD card you get a 4.5x advantage - but only after the buffer is full. How about the first 10 shots? xD and SD are virtually the same, are they not? Where is the huge speed advantage?

Not everyone who buys a P&S will be concerned with burst rates or shooting in RAW. How about speed of other operations, like power off to on, power off to shot, sleep to on, record review times? Looks like the xD might actually be faster for some functions which might be more important - at least to the average P&S user.

But let's stop with the DSLR talk in this thread, and stick with P&S. Maybe Steve will do a thorough timing comparison test between xD and SD media in the Fuji S100fs. And if Fuji cripples the write speed of the SD media in their cameras, and makes the xD perform faster, then buy xD...or buy the slower SD...or don't buy Fuji if it bothers you that much.

the Hun