Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:21 PM   #1

Please add CF card support back into your cameras especially the higher end cameras like the one slated to replace the S-9100. I bought an S-9100 and got a lot of CF cards now all your new high end great cameras require SD or xD cards. So the large investmentr I put into CF cards when I got this camera its gonna take a lot to make me switch to a camera that won't use them and require me to buy multi new cards. I love CF cards because they are fast and in large sizes. Wonder why you'd release the one setofcameras with CF slot make us all buy those cards and then promptly remove it. BAD IDEA if you want to keep us loyal to you.

Also I'd love to see a replacement for the S-9100 with 15x manual zoom, CF card slot andoptical image stablization.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:44 AM   #2

They also need to stick with AA batteries. If they want to use a lithium battery for marketing purposes, then they need to at least sell a AA adapter as an accessory. Without AA batteries, I'll send my money elsewhere. I was nearly sold on their newest camera, but their move to lithium batteries forced me to put my wallet away.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:13 AM   #3

From the reading I have done, which is not extensive, it seems that there is a higher demand for SD cards than there is for CF cards. The last time I checked it seemed that the SD cards were more plentiful and lower priced. Back when the 9000 series was introduced I recall that there were a lot of complaints from people wondering why Fuji had chosen CF over SD. I've got a better idea. Why don't they just put a 15-in-1 interface in the cameras and let the buyer choose? you know, like the card readers that will read just about anything. Just kidding, I know it isn't practical.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
15-in-1 interface in the cameras... I know it isn't practical.
I can recall a similar argument (way back) about IBM PC's and PC clones and how having the hard drive controller card built into the mainboard wasn't cost effective, or practical for upgrades... :lol:

So maybe in a dozen years or so you'll have more options?
Only time will tell. :|
JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5

But what gets me is they got us all to switch to CF cards and spend our hard earned $$$ and then they say well their now usless you gotta go buy new SD cards in order to use our new cameras.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I may be not be tipical but I came from cameras that used xD and SM cards. When I got the 9100 I spend roughly $200 on CF cards only because at the time the buzz was that CF cards were the future of Fuji and high end digital cameras (those with built in lenses as well as D-SLR0. May SD card makers paid them to make the change. Whatever the reason the cost of getting new cards now has made me put my wallet away. I see less camera manufactors who want to use cf cards in anything bu tthe hghest end camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i guess camera manufactors want the smallest cards and card slots possible to keep the camera small. So in that way SD will always win outr over CF cards.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Word to fuji if you want me to buy a new camera and send money to your pocket make it with a CF card slot and make it take AA batteries. Luckily for me my 9 month old Fuji is still working like new and under warrenty for another 3 months.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6

Well, I look at this from a little different perspective. I have a Fuji S9000. I purchased it almost as soon as it was available. You may not have followed the discussions about that camera. The reviewers didn't like it, everyone on the forums who didn't have one went out of their way to tell others what a horrible camera it was, and most of the people who bought one were quite happy with it. But one of the main criticisms of the camera was that it used CF cards rather than SD cards. There were some threads that ranted about that issue almost incessantly. So it seems to me that with the S9100 Fuji tried to satisfy those complaints by switching to SD, but now there is another group that is unhappy.

I have become a little annoyed with all the criticisms of new cameras. A new one is only on the market for a week or two before we start seeing the "what I want in the next version" threads start appearing. And when the next versions don't have everything these dreamers ask for the camera maker gets criticized for not listening. In this case it seems to me that the criticism comes because Fuji did listen.

None of these cameras are perfect. They never will be. There will always be little things about them that we don't like. I don't think there will ever be a camera that will produce a perfect picture. I can assure you that the S9000 is far from perfect. I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of it and get something else. But the problem is everyone who looks at my pictures just looks at the contents. My wife never complains about the quality of the images. She just wants to see who is in the picture, and she is satisfied with what we are getting. So I'm afraid a new camera is not even on my long list right now.

The moral of the story, find a camera that will satisfy your needs as best as it can and buy it. You ain't never going to get something that's perfect.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:55 AM   #7

Excellent words of thought. I guess I never looked at it that way.

There were some threads that ranted about that issue almost incessantly. So it seems to me that with the S9100 Fuji tried to satisfy those complaints by switching to SD, but now there is another group that is unhappy.

The 9100 DOES NOT use SD just xD and CF cards and at the time the buzz was that people liked the 9000 because it was using the fimailar CF cards and they built upon that with the 9100.

I too keep thinking I will get rid of my camera and get something better but everyone like you say looks at the conten of the photos and loves what they see.

dave

Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:02 PM   #8

I don't know what I was thinking. I know that the 9100 doesn't use SD cards. I don't know if the card is a big issue or not. I have two CF cards and 4 xD cards (two of those are carryovers from a previous camera) and I don't know if I will buy any more cards. If I ever purchase another camera I'm not going to make the type of card any kind of an issue. If I need new cards I will get them. It's not like they are a disposable item.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:08 PM   #9

Its just that after getting the S-9100 I ended up needing to spend another $200 in order to get the memory card speace that I need for the camera and my shooting habits and job. Its money I rather not spend again if I canhelp it by having theose still around picking up dust while i have to get another kind of card

dave
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:25 PM   #10

I know you'll all think I'm just another wise guy for writing this but...

Have you considered putting the old cards on ebay or better yet a Kijiji website
Or Kijiji similar site (for local sales, there's no auction, it's free, like a grocery store cork board in the 1980's everyone seems to put something up but this one is electronic).

Does anyone know of stores giving a trade-in value for previously enjoyed memory cards???

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote