Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1

how would i get existing fuji-camera users to comment on the following question, posted elsewhere. am I allowed to "cross-post"??

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2

Among the 18X optical zoom cameras, it is clear that the Panasonic FZ-18 leads the pack. It is also, at least here in the USA, very attractively priced. The Fuji S-800 is good but it is less sharp than the FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce

Here is a Panasonic FZ-18 zoom shot done on a very overcast day.

Here is a Panasonic FZ-18 flash shot doe with the FZ-18 built-in flash and a slave bounce flash.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:13 PM   #3

Just so you also have a look at a rather similiar Fuji S-8000 photo, here is a sample from the Fuji -8000 as well. I am gaining some experience with the Fuji S-8000, and you can see that the Panasonic FZ-18 and the Fuji S-8000 are now much closer in overal sharpness.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:44 PM   #4

It is a relaxing Easter Sunday afternoon so I did 2 photo samples from the Canon S-5 as well. In looking at the samples from the three cameras, it appears to my eyes, that the Canon S-5 has the edge. It clearly is the winner in the sharpness sweepstakes. Notice the water droplets on the seagull's head and back.

Sarah Joyce

It is raining right now, but this is still an excelent photo for a handheld shot.

Here is a shot done using the S-5's built-in flash unit.

Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:45 PM   #5

Hello White Tulip, I'm still not 100% on what the original question was exactly.

Basically if your shooting wildlife, in my experiance you'll want to be able to zoom fast and that pretty much rules out the high zoom SLR-Like camera's
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

And I am a SLR-Like S8000fd owner and for every dozen or more photos I take I'll get a fairly good one, (I wait, guess the next move, take a photo).

The 18x zoom (about 400mm?) is really nice but for objects in the distance a tripod is highly desireable.

Mostly I'd suggest going to a local camera store (without any money/credit cards).
Some places like Best Buy have a spot where you can get yer hands on em and you can mess around and see how it feels, check out the speeds etc...
I spent an hour at Best Buy, about 30 minutes at a Walmart, another hour at a Futureshop, etc...
Other local camera stores like Henry's Camera's, seem to have many of the cameras you'd mentioned (in the store).
I did have to ask to see some cameras, but they where very friendly and they loaded them with batteries and I got to wander about and snap some pics for a while.

A couple days later I'd made my decision and returned with the kah-ching.

I noticed some companies have their own stores like the Sony Store in the local mall too.

Basically, try before you buy.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6

Opps didn't read the title, my bad.

The S8000fd must be zoomed by a toggle switch (a set speed of zoom, about 1.5 seconds from 0x to 18x).
I understand the 9100/9600 can be manually zoomed by a zoom ring (fast)

I can tell you that the S8000 is not as good as I'd like in low light conditions.
But I have no idea how the 9100/9600 stack up.

With firmware 1.01 the S8000 seems to overdrive the colours or the gamma is too high?
But I have no idea how the 9100/9600 stack up.

I have found the S8000 (firmware 1.01) autofocus seems to not focus a fair bit.
And that the S8000 manual focus is clumsy and I find it a little frustrating.

Also the S8000 does not have a lens adapter capabilty.
I believe the 9100/9600 does.
This adapter capabilty can be desireable for UV filters:
-should you find the camera takes photos not quite how you'd like.
-other lens types can be used to play with a photo shoot and the end result.
-a light hood can be used on the adapter.
-a protective clear glass can be placed before the real lens to protect it from damage/dirt.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote