Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 4, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

I'm new here so sorry if I'm being dumb but I can't see any mention of the new firmware update for the S8000fd.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...cucatid=664260

It reportedly only includes one fix:

1. Shortens the delay in start time operation with an xD-picture Card.

Has anyone tried it? I use SD so if that's the only thing in there I'll put it off for a while.

Hope this helps someone.

Rob
robjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:39 PM   #2

Hello robjw after 4 days I'll say no.

I too own a S8000fd and since I will not use xD cards again (too slow) and I refuse to downgrade to Vista again... I therefore see no need to flash the firmware to 1.02.

Also, I used my camera for 3+ months with firmware 1.00 and have been using firmware 1.01 for about the same time.
Because I have found that version of Firmware overdrives the colours now (ie, a medium-grass-green now appears a brighter-lighter-green), and it takes about an extra second+ to start-up, and it often does not autofocus fairly often now in fact the AF! message is seen so often that is now the norm...

But I can't go back to firmware 1.00.
I did have about 1 in 200-300 picture appear dark in bright light which was annoying but not nearly as annoying as the 1.01 "updates", which I could sometime recover some of the image by adjusting the image's gamma.
So I guess I'm saying I'm leary of another Firmware update...

Well, since no one else gave their 2 cents, I just thought I'd put my up.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:42 PM   #3

I tried to do the upgrade from v 1.01 to 1.02. I copied the file onto the card but kept getting a message to plug in the ac adapter. I don't have one and didn't need one last time to do the upgrade. Is there a way around this error message?
richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:39 AM   #4

Hello richyrich, I have an ac adapter and I'd forgotten about the message until I saw the image below.

I can recall thinking (when I had upgraded the firmware), "Oh Yah! That's some real fine programming by fujifilm."

So here's your answer:

Quote:
you may use new 2-AA type alkaline batteries, or fully-charged 2-AA type Ni-MH batteries.
Quote:
*This screen appears regardless of whether the AC adapter is already connected or not. When the screen shown above appears, press the [OK] button.
Quoted From: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...000fd/fupd.htm

Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the info..I did try that already...when I push the ok button I get another screen that says "ac adapter is not connected. turn off camera." no button will work at this stage and the only option available is to turn off the camera.
JH2007 wrote:
Quote:
Hello richyrich, I have an ac adapter and I'd forgotten about the message until I saw the image below.

I can recall thinking (when I had upgraded the firmware), "Oh Yah! That's some real fine programming by fujifilm."

So here's your answer:

Quote:
you may use new 2-AA type alkaline batteries, or fully-charged 2-AA type Ni-MH batteries.
Quote:
*This screen appears regardless of whether the AC adapter is already connected or not. When the screen shown above appears, press the [OK] button.
Quoted From: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...000fd/fupd.htm

Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:44 AM   #6

All I can find is this:
And according to it, Fujifilm's solution is to plug in the AC adapter... :roll:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...0fd/error.html

So perhaps try putting in a brand new set of batteries.
And if you tried rechargables (like NIMH) then try some new Alkaline batteries.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to contact Fujifilm.

Also did you try updating the firmware via the usb cable and transfer program?
Or by having the "FPUPDATE.DAT" file on the xD card and turning on the camera?
Although, I don't know if the method would make a difference. :?

In Section "4. Firmware upgrading procedure" it lists both methods but as a. or b.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...00fd/fupd.html

Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:37 PM   #7

Mystery solved!! The batteries that I thought were ok must not have been. I replaced them with a newly charged set and it worked fine. THANKS SO MUCH for your help!!!