Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 22, 2003, 5:05 PM   #1

Default Fuji 2800z--Fuji 5000

I have just sent my Fuji 2800z off to be repaired because I dropped it,but I think it will be beyond repair and I am thinking about upgrading to the Fuji 5000,what I need to know is how much diffrance will there be in the picture quality between the two camera's, will the Fuji5000 be as easy as the 2800z to use ( for a novice ). :?:

cheers dutch2u2.
dutch2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:57 PM   #2

Default Fuji 2800z--Fuji 5000

Hallo Nederlands voor jou ook ,
There's a world of difference between 2800 and S5000. S5000 is also easy to use, but what's more it has all the extra's of the more expensive camera's (maybe not all) but on top of that has a 10x zoom.
I myself am a S602z owner and a S5000 would be a little downgrade to that, but I've held and shot with the S5000 and it makes awsome pictures.
Don't look at too many reviews as most of them don't understand Fuji SCCD technique and don't care for it.
Also on DPReview forum you will find a lot of posted pictures of real S5000 OWNERS that look awsome on screen and printed.
Forget about jpeg artifacts and noise because this will not be disturbing if you don't look at the pic pixel by pixel or enlarge prints to A3 and >.
digifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:29 PM   #3

I also have a 2800 Zoom and love it...

I still havent found a camera that seems to take sharper pictures - including my sisters S602.

I am tempted to get the S5000 but all the reviews seem to hammer it.

Anyone used both ? Thoughts ?
angusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:10 AM   #4

I've had my 2800 for nearly two years and love it. It's true I sometimes wish I had more megapixels than the 2 this camera has, but I continue to be amazed at the 5 x 7 (and even larger) prints that I get.

I think anyone thinking about moving from the 2800 to the S5000 needs to look at exactly what he or she wants. You certainly get more manual exposure options with the S5000, and from what I've read it would be a significant improvement over the 2800 for action shots.

In short, simply more options on the S5000 (not to mention what I think is about the best-looking digicam I've ever seen.) But there have been so many negative comments about the aggressive compression and artifacts with the S5000. For medium size prints I think I would go with my 2800.

Dave
stolperia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolperia
[...]
In short, simply more options on the S5000 (not to mention what I think is about the best-looking digicam I've ever seen.) But there have been so many negative comments about the aggressive compression and artifacts with the S5000. For medium size prints I think I would go with my 2800.
Dave
Nah, relax, the compression is not THAT aggressive. Fuji is not stupid, images are exactly the size they are supposed to be. I saw posts about users printing up to A3 with excellent image quality.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 3:34 PM   #6

Personally I am after a camera for better action shots than the 2800z allows. I also take a lot of indoor photos at stadiums and have found that I get a better photo with the flash off - but of course the shutter speed slows too much.

I like the idea of the extra zoom length as it would allow my shots to get closer to the stage - but again the various reviews of the S5000 worry me.

I am still having trouble working out what is roughly an equivalent camera in terms of zoom - but with a better quality output.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ?
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:36 AM   #7

angusm,

If you primarily want a camera for action shots, the S500 may be just what you're looking for. Dave at imaging-resource.com has just posted a review of the camera, and raved about its continuous shooting mode for capturing action.

He also said that although there was some image noise, for anyone not printing above 8 x 10 or viewing images at 1:1 on a computer it shouldn't be an issue at all. All in all, a pretty positive review!

Dave (not THE Dave)
stolperia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:56 PM   #8

Thanks!