Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:32 PM   #1

Default Are there rumors of a Fuji DSLR

:idea: Does anyone out there heard of any rumors if Fuji will bring out a DSLR camera to compete with Canon's Digital Rebel.
Seems like the Fuji S7000 is one short step away from becoming a DSLR.All Fuji has to do is put a Nikon mount on the camera,
slap on a zoom lens, put a mirror in the Camera, and price it
less than the Digital Rebel.
Anyone agree with me. Lets see what happens at PMA 2004
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:48 PM   #2

And increase megapixels compared to their S2....
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:16 PM   #3

and I hope they use a metal body, I want to get the S2 pro, but the cheap plastic body is preventing me from getting it and feeling good about it. it's a shame they skimped out on that portion.
ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:06 PM   #4

Well isn't Fugi the third company on the list that is offcially supporting the 4/3 system standard? I thought I read it was Olympus, Kodak and Fugi that supported that standard. Who knows, maybe they will come out with a camera based upon that standard as their next DSLR... or a couple models to cover both the higher, professional end and the lower end like Canon's Digital Rebel. Since Kodak sees the sensor used in the 4/3 system that they manufacture scaling from the 5Mpixels of the Oly E-1 to as much as 12 Mpixel's im sure that Fugi could come up with an excellent sensor of their own that would fit into that range. Maybe a 4/3 sized 6(12)Mpixel sensor. Just a thought. :P
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:31 PM   #5

What so special about 4/3 ccd size (18.00 x 13.50 mm)? For what I understand the ccd of current Fuji S2 (23 x 15.5 mm) is bigger and goes from 6 mP up to interpolated 12 mP. The S2 is still a good rival to Canons dslr's which has a cmos(22.7 x 15.1 mm ) larger than this stingy 4/3 factor .

If Fuji would release a cheap dslr camera with smaller ccd and thus more noise, they would be boohed by their cutomers and laughed at by competors. Wisely they continued on the prosumer track with the S7000. Probably behind the scenes they are developing a next generation super dslr, something worthwhile to buy, even if you have a Rebel ;-)
(Looking at Fuji dslr history I guess they announce next year a 9 mP dslr camera 18 mP interpolated)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote