Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:12 PM   #1

Default S5000 lens

Did somebody heard something about subj? In the manual we have the same nothnig as at their website.
It was suspicious from the beginning - 10x zoom in the cheapest cam of the line. Close look shows no coating, geometry problems, chromatic aberration and low detail - almost complete list of possible problems(last one makes me think of plastic lens, also it can be JPEG overcompression or both).
My previous cam was Minolta DiMAGE 5 with 7x lens (including AD and aspheric elements) for $450(refurbished). And $450 I've paid for FinePix S5000 looks like overpricing to me.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:25 PM   #2

If you compared the size of ccd against other Fuji 3mP cameras that should already be a sign of target market. And it is at launch cheaper than the S602 is going over the counter now...
Whoever buys this nice camera just has to realize they are not buying a Fuji S7000 or S602 with a Panasonic FZ1 (oops, Leica ) lense.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:30 PM   #3

Default hope dies last

Well, $500 not sounds cheap for me.
I don't know whose bright head came up with idea attach such cheap lens to that body and who is the target group - this guy dissapointed me a lot.
Strange thing - this summer plenty of announces of 3MP 10x cheap zoom announces. May be I'm rare one?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:22 AM   #4

A brand named 10x optical zoom camera for $500 at market introduction? That sounds like a bargain. In Netherlands webshops offer it now even for less...(E400 upto E499). Next compare the price to other 10x zoom cameras...

Again I think this is a nice camera, but the user has to understand what he/she is buying.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:39 AM   #5

Default S5000 lens

I don't know what you expect from the lens.
I can imagine $500 is not "cheap" but considering the competition it is (when bought new).
I have used several S5000 camera's and have seen the printed pics up to 20x30 cm or A4 if you like and must say they really look nice.
I'm sure there must be something wrong with your camera, or you have too high expectations of it. Ofcourse you cannot compare it with a dSLR or Film SLR. if you shoot at 3MP(2048x1536) than dont't look at it at 5cm from the screen. you'll always find abnormalities.
Just print it and look at it from a normal distance =+/- 30-40cm from a 17"monitor.
Remember this camera has a 10x zoom without IS which the Panasonic does have, Also Olympus C-750UZ has 10x zoom but is way more expensive. I own a S602z and the must say it's slightly better but the lens is not an extrem tele as the S5000.
Again if you feel the results are so bad I think you got a defective one.
digifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:32 PM   #6

I've expected sharp colorfull pictures. Well, only portraits (or close-ups) looks like this. Large scenes looks... not as good...
Again - I'm comparing with Minolta DiMAGE 5 I had before it had broken.
Really - I would prefer good 5x (like 30-150mm in 35mm equivalent) then that 10x of Fuji.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyak
I've expected sharp colorfull pictures. Well, only portraits (or close-ups) looks like this. Large scenes looks... not as good...
Again - I'm comparing with Minolta DiMAGE 5 I had before it had broken.
Really - I would prefer good 5x (like 30-150mm in 35mm equivalent) then that 10x of Fuji.
Man, there is no *GOOD* 10x at this price range. You got what you paid for.

There are a lot of other choices to go for if you don't need 10x lens. Other people really do need those 10x lenses, so do not bash us

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:34 PM   #8

As example of acceptable 10x for this price I have put DiMAGE Z1.
A mighty Yahoo teaches us, that it could be bought for merely $365.00 only. And (what a coincidence) it has 3MP CCD too! Included!!!
Knowing DiMAGE 5 - it cann't be so bad. They are concerned about their lens (will be a good point to turn their attention to battery-saving ). From the foto coating can be seen and appropriate diameter of lens.
I thought, that from $500 camera I can expect something better, or, at least - not worse.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyak
As example of acceptable 10x for this price I have put DiMAGE Z1.
A mighty Yahoo teaches us, that it could be bought for merely $365.00 only. And (what a coincidence) it has 3MP CCD too! Included!!!
Knowing DiMAGE 5 - it cann't be so bad. They are concerned about their lens (will be a good point to turn their attention to battery-saving ). From the foto coating can be seen and appropriate diameter of lens.
I thought, that from $500 camera I can expect something better, or, at least - not worse.
Have you even SEEN reviews of the DiMAGE Z1? *NO!*

Wait until it is out, then go and test it, then compare. Again, 10x good lenses are EXPENSIVE, and so far no camera had 10x good lenses at a decent price.

The S5000 is $380 now. I bought it at ~$410. The $500 was the price-list which is now obsolete at the majority of manufacturers.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Have you even SEEN reviews of the DiMAGE Z1? *NO!*
Presuming again. Internet is full of reviews of Z1.
And I can see diameter of a first lens. Have you ever seen 380mm lens for a 35mm camera? 1st lens is like a small plate, and this is not just for funny look. CCD is smaller, it needs less diameter, but the 1st lens of Fujinon corresponds to a 3x. They've just put it to a wide tube, to look bigger. I never expected this from Fuji.
Quote:
Again, 10x good lenses are EXPENSIVE, and so far no camera had 10x good lenses at a decent price.
Man, looks, like they don't teach optics in your school.
Quantity of X - it's just a distance between moving lens and a fixed ones(for this class). Every 5-, 6-, 7- x could be prolonged to 10 or 12 just making tube a bit longer. The limiting factor, again - quality.
I never expected this Fuji lens working fine at 10x, but I do expect it work fine at 3x. Or 0.75. But they DON'T.