Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 3, 2008, 3:19 AM   #1

Just bought the S700 today to replace an S5100.... not quite pleased with it yet.

I understand why the LCD is grainy in low-light, but does anyone understand why the LCD shows a clear image just before it focuses and then goes back to grainy/noise??

Also - I never had trouble with the 5100 being grainy indoors with no flash, the 700 has disappointed me so far. I don't want to have to fiddle with the ISO/etc settings every time I want to take an indoor pic. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
halcyonhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 4:52 AM   #2

You dont like to fiddle with your camera for each shot? Then why did you buy a camera with manual settings? You should have purchased a Kodak Instamatic. Every shot is somehwat unique - distance, available light etc. You have to change with it. As you get to know the camera better the changes will be quicker. Until then enjoy fiddling. Oh, dont use the 1600 ISO ever if you want a useable picture. Leave it on 400 mostly unless its really bright. Just my opinion.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 6:35 AM   #3

I don't understand why you don't just set your camera to AUTO and leave it there? That way you won't have to do any fiddling between shots!
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 3:52 PM   #4

Bynx - do you fiddle with your camera EVERY shot? There are times when I want to just pick up the camera, set it on auto and shoot some fun shots indoors without seeing NOISE. I realize a 1600 ISO is the culprit, but I had hoped there would be some suggestion for more 5100-esque results without having to change all my settings every time. If there aren't any other suggestionsthan "You should have bought another camera" then I'll drop it, because obviously, I've already bought this one!

Any ideas on the LCD?

Old May 3, 2008, 4:17 PM   #5

I have no ideas on the LCD, other than to just deal with it. It's only a guide anyway. You're going to have to evaluate your results on something different to find out what's really there.

Fuji has come out with a lot of cameras in this price/quality range recently. It seems to me that everyone expects the new one to be significantly better than a previous model. But in reality, even though the technology changes and the features are expanded, the basic camera is still the same old stuff. Specifically, in all of these models you are dealing with a very small sensor. Image quality isn't going to improve just because there are more megapixels. But as long as camera enthusiasts keep buying a new model in hopes of finding something better, all Fuji has to do is re-package the technology and put a little different spin on it and they have a short term market until reality sets in.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 4:51 PM   #6

lol I didn't buy it just because it was a newer model..I lost the 5100.. :roll:
Old May 3, 2008, 6:14 PM   #7

When indoors use the flash if you have to. Im a bit confused by your problem. In low light you are going to get noise so expect it. It seems you want some magic box that will give you a perect picture without any effort on your part. Those magic boxes are available but for a good deal more money than you paid for your Fuji S700.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 9:06 PM   #8

I guess I'll just have to deal with it and learn what works best with it. I'm just impatient and wanted a quick fix. The 5100 WAS that magic box that took beautiful indoor photos with NO noise when not usinga flash.

I just took200 shots around town today and amextremely pleased with the results I see ona computer screen. The results on the LCD aren't that great,but in the end I'm very happy with theoutdoor photos.