Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:22 PM   #11
sun

Thx very much for the Links, I have been reading. I just have a couple of lingering queries and I will re-read again:

1. it seems that "Auto" is not always a good choice? I am wondering about the better half using the camera. I know that there will be problems if I have to set it for Portrait etc. before handing the camera over.

Right now the Panasonic LZ 7 works fine for us, however I was hoping to get a camera that could do more for me and the better half would be able to grab it and take a shot or 2 without having to ask me ???

2. Is the flash decent on this camera since there is no hot shoe?

3. I see the setting for the Picture Stabilization is in SP2, once it is set does it work in all modes. Sorry if this sounds silly, however I don't read tech subjects through the lines very well.

4. The fella at the store said it is Pict Bridge compatible and so I should be able to use it with my Canon ES1 printer? w/o a computer.

5. We don't really need another camera at this moment, however I thought that the price $228 Canadian was good, but still not sure if this is a good decision for this type of camera.

6. Does Pic Stabilization work in SP1 since the setting is in SP2. The whole Stabilization I find confusing since it is set in the SP2. Sorry for being such a clutz with digital cams. The old SLR's are where my head was buried for many hobby years. Now I am a baby boomer trying to keep up with technology !!!

7. Is extended coverage a good idea? from the store re warranty...2 years.

8. I just wondered also if anyone has experience with any problems viewing pics from the Lcd Screen. Does one have to purchase an after market shade attachment which may interfere with the viewfinder?

And any other experienced comments would be appreciated. I should say that I like the idea of a view finder instead of lcd of the Panasonic LZ7 which took getting used to.

Again many thank yous. I was just hoping that a new owner would drop some thoughts here as well, thank you for your time.

sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:31 AM   #12

1. yes "Auto" - imperfect for most cases. but little tweaked "semi-pro"(Learned Auto) under "M" icon - mode - better.
2. not bad, IMO(especial for size). but you can add slave external flash.
3. fake IS, so there no lens/sensor-shifring electro-mecanical stuff.
less useful, but helps sometimes
4. very possibly. read printer manual carefyly.
5. im don't know your market, sorry :/ but this price -lower recommended pricing,
but definitely falls down(poople mostly buys previous models - S700 and S800)
6. SP1 and SP2 - mean scanario presets for [more quicker]change.
only [pretty logical :-]limitations is you can't set same scanario for both S[cenario] P[reset]'s :-)
7. depend pricing. for such not expensive camera and trusted shop(good people working inside and not trying to fool their customers). but if you using camera in extremes(which is can quicker reveal weakiness or "floating malfuctions") or don't know shop reputations... maybe.
EVF very helpfull(but i think, fuji can safely save on them on entr-level dc's, instead using their SuperCCD for this price), especially underREALLY HARD snlight for example, where usability of LCD of any type - out of questions.
but in most cases - you can safely use LCD for framing-shooting,
IMO, Fuji-Olympus iuse one of most viewable LCDs on their Zoomers.
wide angle, not reflecting, brigh and contrast.
i typicaly hear "Wow, thaths great !!" from pople, first even see screens of any of my Fuji's, both Canon
, Nikon and oher(last one - my 4nd-grandfather with Oly m-1010 and my girlfriend with latest Canon Ixus).

andway, S1000 is cheap and versatile :-)
runs up to 618 shot in my hand(i like to test new hardware), which is for AA-power - not bad !!

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:20 AM   #13
sun

Hey Skyshoot you sound like the whole family is into taking pics !!! I have been for some time, however now an aging baby boomer trying to catch up with technology for weddings of grand nieces etc.

I guess I should ask...do I have to pop up the flash...manually on this cam ...I am sorry if this is odd query, however it looks like I might have to do it myself without camera doing it ???

The camera here in Western Canada is said to be "so so"... if I want a really good one get a "Canon"....but my SLR days are long gone and so is the wallet $ !!!

I have spent the money on a very good video camcorder and just thought I would buy another cam that the better half and I could both use without too much problems.

But it seems this cam maybe a "scientific exploration"....too much for the better half at a wedding etc.?????

I thought "Auto" would be like the SLR's of the old days.... and it could be point and shoot like then??? but no?? The noise would be bad???

I thank you for your sharing of your time and any further comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, and have a "great cam-day" !!!

(you are a definite asset to this forum, thx so much and I hope to hear more before I spend the $ !!!!)
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:02 AM   #14

quality of "Auto" mode in Fuji digicam not that bad, but a little optimistic and maybe a little more WB correction error, than in other(but stil better, than in competing Dc's, IMO)

and "gang(family, street and et) of shootser" ... looks live its everywhere reality :-)
i long i can see, walking-driving at streen someone recording something almost at each meter ;P
mostly youngest part of socium, but only at first look :-)
me presonally prefer to hold (everything worth it) in my memory, than in other external, but as long as i like(like other humans) to shar, and it's hard to share visions by words, so i grag cameras, print and share :-)
mostly [stunning] landscapes and skies(don't have now queal equipment to shoot sunsets, but constntly do so :-).
even on street - its easier to shoot whiteboard or poster or sins or notes by cameraphone or digicam, than taking pencil and papcer - record to it.

p.s. sometimes ago i like to paint,and do this well from 0.x years old (earlier than speak), but my todays hands so dammaged, eyes also - not good and ...
so ASAP i grab digicam and sohoot and shoot and shot
and share and share and share ;-))))
like many today's Photo-monsters
sometimes i call "brothers in arms" "Photo-Zilla" :-)

Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:18 AM   #15
sun

Hi again, thank you. I am still puzzled mostly about 2 things:

1. when I set picture stabilization in SP2....is it set forever in all modes including SP1??

2. The flash sounds like I have to activate it myself and that it does not pop up automatically?

The flash mechanism does not sound right as I would expect it to pop open when it is needed???

I really hope that someone can comment on those 2 areas that are critical to me.

And again the "Auto" setting. is it going to be that poor for me to leave it at and let the better half shoot a portrait, party, etc. from as I can't be setting it all the time if I am using my camcorder and I bring the Fuji and she does not bring her Panasonic LZ7??

These are critical to me and I really want to know the answers to them before I jump in and buy.

Again I look forward to experienced comments on these specific areas. The manual is good to read except it does not really assess the quality of the pics.

I guess what it boils down to is that we don't want to waste $200 + Cdn. if the camera's pics are going to be poor.

The Camera sounds good, but is it going to do quality pics that one can get from "Auto" on other cameras.

Sorry for the bothersome questions, however I don't want to make a bad purchase.

Again experienced user comments greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:23 AM   #16

1. righ. stay forever(until digicam destroyed by time or user
2. both wariant you can choose.
but because i don't user flash at all(or very, very rarely, about 2% shots, and even
rarely)

no, digicam just try to set littly higher(than enough-needed) sensitivity in "Auto" mode.
thats all :-)

p.s.
just check camera in store , if you buy offline. s
ssonds simple, but thats work :-)

p.p.s. check also excelent thread of S700 maniacs (beside me
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:03 PM   #17
sun

Hi, I have been doing more checking and the store that sells the camera did not have it on display yet and after looking at reviews, it does not seem to have a shoe for an external flash??

The store said that the flash was good for 8 feet...sounded a little skimpy and the manual certainly is overwhelming to look at 163 pages.

For a point and shoot, of what I consider an intermediate user camera it seems to have so many "bells and whistles" and not necessarily that user friendly.

I see that "reds" are supposed to be saturated with the cam and that moving objects indoors the camera struggles with.

And I again get back to the "Picture Stabilization".... which I have seen critiqued in a couple of reviews indicating that the cam has a distinct issue...."Fuji provides no optical or mechanical image stabilization - users looking for IS will have to buy Fujis larger and more expensive S8100 fd.

Comments appreciated.

BTW I talked to Customer Service at Fuji and was advised that the cam does have the full 2 years warranty and that there would be no need to purchase the big box store added warranty as the cam would be outdated in that length of time.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:07 PM   #18

The Fuji S-8000 still remains a very viable camera. The new S-8100 is really not a great improvement. I purchased the Fuji S-8000, received the $(US) 50.00 rebate and I remain quite happy with the S-8000 camera.

Would I like more? Yes, of course I would, I would like a workable flash hotshoe, just like the Canon S-5 has. But that does not make the S-8000 a deficient camera.

Here is a sample photo from the S-8000 done today.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:37 PM   #19
sun

Thx for the reply, today I was out and about and can pick up a Canon S5 IS for $339 including taxes and for $20 more cdn can get also a Canon 3500 Printer.

I consider that not a bad deal. I know that the S6 will be out in a couple of months; however would like to get the cam now so that by Christmas I won't be messing up pics.

Also will be taking a vacation in the very near future.

Anyone have any comments comparing the 2.

Thx again.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:52 PM   #20

Sun-

If you can get the Canon S-5 for for $(Cdn) 339.00, I for one would leap at it with vigor and gusto. The S-5 is a really great camera as long as you do not increase the ISO setting above ISO 200. You would have a really GREAT deal!

The best I can find here in the USA is $(US) 399.00! So I tip my hat to you with ease and enthusiasm and say, "Go for it!." You will really enjoy the Canon S-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote