Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 23, 2008, 9:43 PM   #1

I have been a happy Kodak Z712is owner for a year and thousands of shots, apart from the fact that it won't work on AA Ni-MH rechargeables, and the battery options are rare and expensive, or don't last long.

In my friendly local camera shop's list of 'recommended cameras' it and its successor Z812 have been bumped off the list in this category by the S1000 fd. I note that it uses 4xAA Ni-MH power. I have many little-used such AAs.

See http://www.wrexham-cameras.com/WHATS...EST-DIGI-5.htm

I shall call in there when I can and try its feel. They have a folder on the counter with huge prints from each of their recommended cameras. I look forward to seeing reports here about it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2008, 12:26 PM   #2

Alan-

The Fuji S-1000fd camera is the successor to the S-700. And both are excellent cameras. The S-1000fd is well priced and very capable. However, it does not have image stabilization using optical shift, like you have on your Kodak Z-712. Instead, it has a feature that increases the ISO setting to get a higher shutter speed for the desired photo.

If you can life with that small lack of IS, it is a great camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
....However, it does not have image stabilization using optical shift, like you have on your Kodak Z-712. ....If you can life with that small lack of IS...
Thanks very much for the quick and, as ever, pertinent reply, Sarah Joyce.

No, I can't do without IS! That and the EVF with live preview have revolutionised my photography, as I can seldom be bothered to carry a tripod. If I were routinely carrying a tripod, I'd have a dSLR, and hang the weight & expense! I have become adept at finding objects on which and against which to steady the camera. With that and IS, I get good results at ridiculouslyslow shutter speeds and sensible ISO.

I think I'll go and get the feel of the S1000 anyway, when next I go to Wrexham. Given that it's a tiny camera and a 10Mpix sensor, I shan't expect too much of high ISO. I get away with high ISO some times, and not others, on the Z712.

Is your post by remote control from my side of the Atlantic? I'd love to see something from your travels!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:11 AM   #4

its a very very nice camera, i always like fuji's color saturation and sharpness at low iso's. but after using olympus sp550uz with dual is i can never go back with a camera without image stabilization, i dont have to use high iso's and mess up my pictures anymore .. but again that doesnt mean s1000fd is a bad camera, its still a very nice and capable one..
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:51 AM   #5

I own the s1000fd. It does have image stabalization. it is under sp2 and menu. I am currently putting the camera under some tests. It is currently dark in my room and if I use auto setting, the images are noisy. If I use p, it is improved but not good enough. If I set it to sp1 and in menu select night, without flash, my dark room is presented in the picture with no noise and very sharp. It looks really good.

This camera needs to be played with before you can go on. I think I spent an hour figuring out how to take night pictures in my room with just a few lamps on and no flash. Tomorrow, I will be taking some day shots and family shots.

Do not use the automatic setting. It produces High noise. Use the sp1 for close shots, and sp2 for far shots. under the menu, select the type of scenery. This is where the camera shines in strength.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:57 PM   #6

Cresho:

according a FUji articles
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...s/page_05.html
"Used for selecting a fast shutter speed that reduces camera shake and moving-subject blurring."

Alan T: tryout f100s. in my opinion an according to provided shots(pbase lacks these :-/) examples - just wats you wants.
bit costly(4 example, i cannot afford :-/), but woth this money.

if it's little overbudjected choice - take a look at Z812 suscessor(HR sensoe not always bad, especially at Kodak and Fuji implementations

or, as bridgecam - 8100 or something like - real IS(dual and optical mode), AA battery and etc - nice feats :-)
and even better EVF, than on Kodak, IMHO.

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:03 AM   #7

also strongly recommend take a look at Oly E420 Digicam.
this reasonably priced and complact enough DSLR(which is one in terms of mass produced unit ;P) produces surpisingly good looking pics(thanks 4 Sarah to Exxx Sunset pics advice-example, also)
even dE420 lack of optical IS, 4:3 sensor w-shutter tricks - killall other alternatives even if shooting sport-emergency-war scenes.
quite good cam, imho.
but can't find(my girlfriend buy one) proper "all-on-one" lens, similar to late prosumer(wide and up to 18x-20x? or something like used on SP570-FujiS8000) for similar usage :/ (just because narrow local market and slow and costly amazon-e-bay delivery).

Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:44 AM   #8

and if AA-powersource in ONLY reason to change digicam, i wold recomend K200, as it ONLY AA-powered DSLR and todays "UIltrazoom" quite expensive and-or underdeveloped both.

Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
sun

Hi, I have been using a Panasonic Lumix LZ7 since Christmas and enjoy its quality and portability. However, I have been looking at the the Fuji Finepix S1000FD as I intend to give the better half the Panasonic.

I want to get a camera that uses double a batteries as we have the 2500 mah and charger and like to be able to share the batteries and if in a pince can use some alkaline if we are up north here in Canada in some of the remoter towns that we travel frequently, it is nice to feel secure with batteries and mem cards.

I am finding this camera a bit confusing re "Picture Stabilization" and would appreciate experienced comments.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read there are Convenient Mode Dial + 13 Shooting Modes like Natural light mode, Snow, Sports, Party, Museum, Portrait, Fireworks, Flower, Landscape, Night, Sunset, Beach, Text pluse "Picture Stabilization"???

I have a couple of queries:

1. What is Convenient Mode Dial which I have seen described in one write up?

2. I don't take a tripod nor mono pod with me anymore, not having given up my older Nikon SLR's and have been doing not too badly with the Panasonic described above, however would like to get a camera with a firmer grip and my neighbour who travels a lot has one. He is not home at the moment or else I would ask him.

I am concerned about the choices, as an example...my god daughters wedding is in a month's time and I see that the setting of "Party" may be appropriate; however I am concerned about "Picture Stabilization".

Does it not work automatically in all of these modes and I am to be certain not to shake and start to have to carry my monopod with me all over the place once again. I asked the fellow in the store and he said that the Picture Stabilization functions in all modes and yet I don't get that impression. The price on this one here in Western Canada is $258. I usually start out using the "Auto", however it seems in what I have read that one should not do that....but choose the proper mode. And also mentioned was the SP1 for close up and SP2 for distance. I am getting confused by these recommendations and why have Auto if it is not going to help the Novice who is just getting the feet wet with the camera??

I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S700, 7.1 MP, 10X Optical, 4.8 Digital and readthe specs and see Shooting Modes: Auto, "Picture Stabilization", Natural Light, Natural Light and with flash, SP1, SP2, P, A, S, Movie. I again am confused as the camera rep at the store said that his wife had this older unit and that it did have the Picture Stabilization in all modes and that it replaced the Fine Pix 5200? The price here in Western Canada for this one is $199

I was told however that it lacked Super CCD Sensor and face Detection and wondered how this would affect its use.

BTW, I should say that I have been a hobbyist SLR user with a couple of bodies and lenses, but sold them awhile back and have now been using digital. I should also mention that I have a camcorder and ext mic which also has been my hobby over the years and the Movie aspect of this camera maybe used in a pinch .

I really hope that I can get experienced advice on my questions and that they are not foolish queries.

Thank you for your experienced time !

Cheers

BTW, I have aCanon Selphy ES1 portable printer and I wondered ifboth of these Fuji models are Pict bridge compatible.

Thank you.

sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:36 PM   #10

i think i cannot better describe, than in S-series manuals
for example - here is manual for S1000
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig..._manual_01.pdf
descriebed here
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...0fd/index.html