Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 28, 2008, 8:12 PM   #1

We already own a Pentax *istDS (my wife's camera) and I'm planning to pick up a left-over S9100 for myself. There are issues on the Pentax (and other brands of DSLRs) where the voltage from a non-genuine flash unit coming through the hot-shoe may be too high for the camera's circuitry. The Pentax has this issue so I had to purchase a device (whose brand I don't recall at the moment) which acts as a voltage regulator so the Sunpak 433 I'm using won't fry the Pentax.

Has anyone heard anything about the S9100 and external flashes? What external flash units are S9100 owners using here? Any information, opinions, warnings are appreciated.

Thanks!

Barry

Edit: replaced "283" with "433"
rumplestilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 9:39 AM   #2

I have read several comments that people are having good luck with the Sunpak 383. Just yesterday someone commented in another forum that they tried to an old Vivitar 2500, and it worked just fine. I am using a Quantaray 7500 with a Pentax module on my S9000. Of course I cannot use the TTL setting, but it works just fine in the Auto mode. Fuji has stated that you can use just about any automatic flash. You just cannot expect to use any TTL features.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

The "device" I mentioned in my previous post is the Wein SafeSync. I use a Sunpak-branded tripod-thread-mounted "grip" on which the flash mounts and a PC cable plugs into the SafeSync. This is something I bought in the early 70's (along with that 433 flash). It's been a great product over the years although it does make the whole setup rather large.

Old May 29, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4

I believe the voltage limit on the 9100 is something like 400 V. Don't know if that info will help you or not.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Oh, yes. That is very helpful. I may not need the Safe-Sync but can use the S9100's PC sync terminal directly.

Thanks!