Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:06 AM   #51

I guess that is my worry about dSLR, if you use a lens kit, seem quality not good enough, but if u really want to invest on goodlens, at least will cost you another few thousand dollar :shock:
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:11 AM   #52

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
I guess that is my worry about dSLR, if you use a lens kit, seem quality not good enough, but if u really want to invest on goodlens, at least will cost you another few thousand dollar :shock:
Ya, but the 17-85 IS is not a kit lens it cost me 550.00 euro
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:42 AM   #53

hercules wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Ya, but the 17-85 IS is not a kit lens it cost me 550.00 euro
wow, speechless :roll:
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:10 AM   #54

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
It depends a lot on the particular lens. The kit lens that came with my Nikon (18-55) is sharp sharp SHARP

One other thing also to keep in mind, P&S cams have a much deeper DOF, so more of a 'scene' looks in focus. With an APS-C or even more-so with a FF DSLR, to make a fair comparison, we'd have to shoot at a much smaller aperture (so it's DOF is comparable with the P&S wide open)
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:34 PM   #55

Highway wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
It depends a lot on the particular lens. The kit lens that came with my Nikon (18-55) is sharp sharp SHARP

One other thing also to keep in mind, P&S cams have a much deeper DOF, so more of a 'scene' looks in focus. With an APS-C or even more-so with a FF DSLR, to make a fair comparison, we'd have to shoot at a much smaller aperture (so it's DOF is comparable with the P&S wide open)
Yes it does depend on what lens you have,, but even with an aperture at f/13 on my dslr fuji is still a tad sharper, all in all the S100fs is worth the money also what in camera settings do you find best, i have sharpness hard, color hard, and tone hard and then i have the white balance tuning set to red +2 and yellow -2 and find i get great out of camera results.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:55 PM   #56

I don't have the S100fs (have a Nikon DSLR and a Fuji S6000) but am comparing a lot of pics I've seen posted with the S100fs. It's lens is sharp, no doubt on that.
I know Canon has some awesome lenses, but I have heard discussion that the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is a really sharp lens, and I can vouch for that for sure.

On most cams if shooting in jpeg, I never set the tone high, I'd rather do that later in PP if needed so I record as much highlight and shadow detail. With my Nikon I shoot raw so all that is done later anyway.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:06 PM   #57

Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:14 PM   #58

I've heard the Canon 70-300 is really sharp, so that makes sense
Yes, smaller sensors have a super deep DOF compared with a larger sensor and set at the same aperture.
I've also noticed that too when viewing 100%, my Fuji S6000 is very sharp, but is lacking some detail at 100% compared to my Nikon D40.(and both are 6 megapixels )
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:18 PM   #59

Highway wrote:
Quote:
I've heard the Canon 70-300 is really sharp, so that makes sense
Yes, smaller sensors have a super deep DOF compared with a larger sensor and set at the same aperture.
I've also noticed that too when viewing 100%, my Fuji S6000 is very sharp, but is lacking some detail at 100% compared to my Nikon D40.(and both are 6 megapixels )
But then again we are not gonna crop our pictures to see that, also when viewing images from both cameras they look the same to me, so i do believe that when on vacation why take a bag full of lenses when you can have an all in one that does great
Old Sep 2, 2008, 6:10 PM   #60

That very reason is why I'd love to add a 'do it all lens' to my collection (like the Nikkor 18-200VR or maybe the Tamron 28-300 VC) then when walking around, ... no lens changing, yay! AND I'd get to keep my ultra fast shot to shot times, great viewfinder and almost perfect iso 800 attributes of my DSLR