Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:46 PM   #1

Hello; I would appreciate if any s700 owner could help me.

First, it is normal that I can't get a focus lock on "infinite"?

For instance, in a clear day, I can not get focus on clouds, even if there is an strong contrast between clouds and sky. When the camera is trying to focus, I can see for an instant a perfect focus on the image, but then it gets short, image stays out of focus, and the "AF" red sign appears on the screen.

I've tried this with different lighting conditions, on white and dark clouds, but always I get the same result. Please excuse my ignorance, but is the autofocus only supposed to work inside a determined range? Or is my camera defective?

Thanks
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:08 PM   #2

I suggest you read pages 34, 35 and 87 of your Fuji manual for explanation about auto focusing and the times it doesnt work very well. The solution is to use AF/AE Lock or go Manual.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:35 PM   #3

Unfortunately that does not respond my question. Does this camera lock to infinite, yes or not? Forget about the manual focus, I wish it had a real manual focus. I've already read the manual many times and i know what kind ob objects or reflections can be trouble, but my problem is my camera can not focus to infinite, that is the reason I asked because I want to know if it is bad. How am Isupposed to photograph, say, a sunset with this camera if there is no way I can get the right focus?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:43 PM   #4

The auto focus isnt very good for the s700 in my opinion. Last total eclipse my camera wouldnt lock on to the moon with auto focus. Other times Ive tried and no problem. It has to have a definite shape to lock onto for it to focus. My camera is set to center focus. What is yours set to? I dont always use manual focus and aside from a few times its given me trouble Im not complaining about its quirks. Besides that most of my photography is close up or medium distance. Ive never had a problem with long distance landscape though. By the way the manual focus is pretty good. When the subject is in focus two half circle lines turn from white to yellow to indicate focused. And whatever you have focused on is locked until you hit the preview button. Also when in manual focus mode none of the buttons work so your fstop and aperature have to be set prior to setting manual focus.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:36 PM   #5

Well, I only wanted to learn a trick or something in order to focus more conveniently with this camera, not is my intention to complaint about its quirks. It is better to know how bad it is than how good it is, but none of the previous "point and shot" that I've owned were so problematic with the auto or manual focus. I know about depth of field, but then what to do when you need to use a large aperture? Let's say I am making some portraits or closeups, then I want to shoot rapidly to something happening very far, let's say a high airplane or not so high but far in the horizon...when I get to change the focus mode all action is gone. Even if I could change modes fast enough, the time that takes focusing with this combination of +/- plus W/T is far frompractical. Maybe I'm asking too much but this is pretty simple to obtain with other machines supposed to be inferior than the s700.

Bynx, I appreciate very much your responses. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:32 PM   #6

I don't have the S700. I have the S9000, and I occasionally experience the same frustration. Whenever I cannot get the autofocus to function properly I move the camera so that there is more differences in contrast within the focusing area. I press the shutter halfway to lock the focus, and then recompose the image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:11 PM   #7

The main problem with the autofocus is it needs something to lock onto as jphess says. So pointing it at the sky is difficult at times. The other day I shot a biplane flying by. Using center focus I was able to lock onto the plane with no problem. Also you can try continuous focus. This uses up your battery power quicker, but it works pretty good.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:39 AM   #8

Hello Art,
I've had my S-700 for just over a year, and I bought it for the long zoom
to get some bird photo's. The camera has been a disappoinment in that the focus
is bad throughout. It doesn't focus well at infinity, constantly hunting past the sweet spot.
It is an unpleasant adventure in macro or super macro mode as well with a nonfunctioning
and/or unreliable focus strategy.
Manual focus does not function, except that there is an extremely slow change in focus
rendering manual focus unuseable.
In just over a year, my S-700 has piled up a lot of mileage on Fedex trucks with no
resolution.
My ancient Fuji FinePix1400 outperforms the S700, a major waste of megapixels,
since it is not focussing right.

Adrian Rollini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmustel View Post
Hello; I would appreciate if any s700 owner could help me.

First, it is normal that I can't get a focus lock on "infinite"?

For instance, in a clear day, I can not get focus on clouds, even if there is an strong contrast between clouds and sky. When the camera is trying to focus, I can see for an instant a perfect focus on the image, but then it gets short, image stays out of focus, and the "AF" red sign appears on the screen.

I've tried this with different lighting conditions, on white and dark clouds, but always I get the same result. Please excuse my ignorance, but is the autofocus only supposed to work inside a determined range? Or is my camera defective?

Thanks
Hi Art,
I bought an S700 two years ago and it almost always misses the sweet spot
for focus. It was back and forth to Edison NJ service many times and was replaced several times. (Fuji Service in NJ really tries)
The last time they sent an S800 which still is a major disappointment.
My ten year old Fuji Finepix 1400 takes better shots in VGA mode! The old Fuji
would almost always take sharp crisp shots.

Thus I gave up with the s700/s800 and suspect that Fuji doesn't want low end cameras taking crisp /in focus shots to provide an incentive to opt for their more expensive offerings. The S700 is a tease with many of it's features,
But its a dog unable to produce.

I'll steer clear of Fuji products after this fiasco.

Bill
Adrian Rollini is offline   Reply With Quote