Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:43 PM   #1

Default Fuji S5000 vs Panasonic Lumix FZ2

Ive spent aaaaaaaaaages reading all the various reviews on all the different sites and the consensus seems to be that the S5000 just doesnt cut it in too many ways...

I've started looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ1 - and will depending on release dates more likely go for the FZ2 which allows a little more manual control. I like the idea of a stabilised Lens, but as a previous Fuji owner (2800z) im a fan.

Its one of those things - unless you have held and tried both for a couple of days under your own shooting requirements its hard to decide what to go for. The things that start to irritate you about a camera tend to only popup a week or so after you have really started to master it.

I know the Panasonic is only 2Megapixels, but Ive never had a problem with 2 Megapixels and image quality on my 2800z. Most of my images are never printed but only displayed online on web pages.

Macro is particularly of interest to me - and both cameras seem pretty equal. For macro I want to take product shots where the product is on a white seamless background. The 2800z does a great job with this so I presume the S5000 will be similar. The Panasonic FZ1 doesnt seem to have much white balance control, but hopefully the FZ2 which has it listed as one of the improvements will be better.

The rest of my shots are mostly stadium or indoor sporting events - hence the need for the zoom. Most of my shots are of athletes moving (gymnastic routines / bodybuilders actually) so I tend to shoot inside gyms under low light conditions - something several users have said the S5000 is terrible at ??? For pics of bodybuilders I always shoot without a flash on as I find the flash flattens out the detail and definition. It would be useful if the camera only had a short delay between taking pictures. Again I cant tell from the reviews which camera does this better. On the 2800z I currently have the shutter speed is too slow as soon as I turn the flash off so the people on stage blur badly.

The ISO sensitivity of the Panasonic is Auto / 50 / 100 / 200 / 400. Is the lower values of 50 and 100 useful ? I dont really understand what this means.... but it seemed one of the significant differences and I know it related to lighting situations.

Anyway - just my thoughts as I slowly go crazy trying to find the "right" camera.

Any opinions / thoughts / feedback welcome.
angusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:20 PM   #2
djb

iso 50 and 100 would probably be good use to you in your product shots where you can use slower shutter speeds. for the indoor sports shots those iso speeds would probably be to slow. the lower the iso the less noise you get but you need slower shutter speeds. the higher iso gives you more noise but use of faster shutter speeds.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:02 PM   #3

Default ISO

Well, in the real photo world ISO means sensitivity.
Like 100 you need for shining sun and like 400 or 800 in the room.
Well, ALSO it means contrast - ISO 400 film offers contrast, let's say - 1:400. Means, it can show high-contrast scenes - like small light sources close to the object or objects in the shadow, close to ones in the sunlight.
And ISO does not means contrast for CCD. Only sensitivity (fisically it means time for CCD getting the light before metering). A contrast for a CCD may be 1:100 or someth.
A greate of Fuji SuperCCD 4 - is higher contrast, then usual CCD by using 2 diff. size sensors for 1 pixel. And it really looks greate in low-light.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:13 AM   #4

Klyak I got a question...

How do the digital camera companies rate their ISOs? I've heard a lot of talking about the fact that ISO 50 in Canon Ax series is actually ISO 80 equivalent.

Thanks.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:02 AM   #5

I'm not sure whether FZ2 has the same image quality with FZ1. If it is, then it's definitely not for 'indoor low light condition'. I owned FZ1 for 2 months and was scared by its noise level and focusing problem. You need to stick to ISO 100 or 50. But then the EVF would become very dim.

But talking about battery life, ease of use, menu system and buttons design, FZ's the best!!

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my S5000 now and would probably stick to it for sometime, I hope.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:40 PM   #6

Default ISO speed metering

ISO speed metering of a professional matrix -
http://www.ifi-indy.org/articles/fbipaper.doc
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:44 PM   #7

Default ISO

ISO Standard test protocols -
http://www.sinepatterns.com/ftp/Pixe...%20Testing.pdf
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:19 PM   #8

I took the plunge and bought the S5000.

Was going to be 2 more months for the FZ2 to be released here in Asutralia and I didnt want to wait. Also seemed like the camera was too similar to the FZ1.

Anyway - I bought a tripod just to account for the non-stabilised lens, and will let you know what I think in a week or so.

Its a much lighter camera than the S602 - which I think is the camera I most like the weight and feel of.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Anyway - I bought a tripod just to account for the non-stabilised lens
And you gonna walk with it? Can you post a pic of yourself doing it?
Really - it's not bad as a camera, if you never need look close to what you've shooted. I did like 170 indoor photos, using flash, before 700 mAh accumulators started to complain. I managed make videos by myself, plaing pool at night in the club.
But I will change it for sure for S7000.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyak
And you gonna walk with it? Can you post a pic of yourself doing it?
No - I just prefer sharp high quality photos.