Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:19 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm 2800 Zoom Error problem

My Fuji 2800 displayed a "Zoom Error" message. Following the manual instructions to turn the camera on and off a number of times, the fault was corrected. However some time later the zoom lens failed to return again after full zoom. The lens appeared to be out of alignment. I took it back to the dealer (under guarantee) and he will get a response from Fuji. However, he questioned the loose lens. I have taken very good care of the camera since purchasing it last Christmas.
Have any Fujifilm 2800 Zoom owners experienced similar problems with their cameras. From discussions with a number of people, it would appear to be a design or electonic defect in the camera.
John P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2002, 1:42 PM   #2

No problems with my 2800 lens - nearly a year old and used regularly.
However my MX-1700 shutter refused to close and being out of guarantee was repaired by a local dealer. Unfortunately the flash packed in three months later and the estimated cost of repair by Fuji service was astronomical almost the price of a new 2meg camera.
At least the fuji estimate was free and the camera returned within ten days. Its always with me and is a very handy snapper.
jim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 2:50 PM   #3

This problem has been reported at length on other forums. Dealers never seem to know what goes wrong with cameras, but Fuji should be well aware of this particular problem.
It hasn't happened to me so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 11:24 PM   #4

Default crud

great! hope my zoom doesn't break! i also noticed that mine looks a bit out of alignment due to gravity...and i take care of it..who knows...maybe i should have gooten the canon a40 after all... o well. that 6x optical zoom sure will entice u!
DigitalArtist71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:11 PM   #5

I feel the quality control on Fuji cameras leaves a bit to be desired. My first 2800 had chromatic abberation in the top left corner (visible fringing). I swapped it for another (the serial number of the new one was previous one on assembly line to the bad one) and the new one does NOT have this at all !!! This means some lenses may be out of alignment with the CCD: I doubt if the lenses themselves have misaligned elements.
However the new one DOES have a piece of lint BETWEEN the lens elements (out of the sealed box). It does not seem to affect pictures at all. I have taken several hundred pictures, looking for small blurred areas or dark or light spots, but none found. Tried shooting a white wall, sun shining into lens, black wall with flash. Only got normal lens flare with sun into lens.

[Edited on 9-21-2002 by MentorRon]

MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 5:55 PM   #6

yes, i have the same problem with the 2800, the aliement is messed up; i traided in my first 2800 for a new one....man feel so damn lucky that the CCD sensor was misplace (tilted)....now some of my pictures come out tilted too (not as bad as the first one) but still a bit tilted.....this is my first camera and it costed me 700$ CND and got it with my 2002 summer job money.....so pissed off man.

the tilt happens on the right side of the pciture; with about 5 degree to the left but doesn't happen on the left side......

anyone tried to have it refound from Fujifilm? i want my money back! should've got the Canon's s30/40
left_r_right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 8:29 AM   #7

I now have the same problem on my 2600 zoom. The camera is less than 1 year old, so we'll see how Fuji Canada helps me out.
mac mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 9:57 PM   #8

Default Zoom Error

Regarding "Zoom Error" message in finder. It seems to be caused by something blocking the lens as it extends or retracts into the body of the camera. I encountered it when I was trying to remove the lens cap while the lens was extending after power-on. I had to turn the camera off and on again to get rid of the message (the camera will not function at all while the message is showing). I am now careful not to let anything come in the way of the lens during power-on and power-off. I imagine it could also happen if the camera gets accidentally turned on while in a carry case (e.g. you press the power button while storing or removing your camera from it's carry case).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote