Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:39 PM   #1
lac

Default S602Z Questions

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, so please excuse if the following questions have been posted before, but I am after some advise.

1. If you have a 128MB SM/1GB MD in the slots, how to you choose where to store your images ?

2. I've read that you can format type 1 Flash cards to FAT format to overcome the 30 sec movie limit, how can this be done ? and is it safe ?

3. Can the 602 handle the new large capacity MD (ie larger than 1GB) ?

thanks for any advise.
Cheers,
Quyen.
lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:10 PM   #2
djb

Quyen, select setup on the top dial. go to the primary media function and select which will be the primary media. whatever the primary media is set up then that is what you will be recording to. also you can tell by by the evf. it will show cf on the right hand side. page 68 or so tells you how to do it.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:41 AM   #3

The movie limit may be due to a low end CF card. If you have a slow write card, the buffer overloads, and the AVI stops. In my 602 the standard Sandisk 128 CF allows only about 17 seconds of AVI. The Sandisk Ultra allows 22 seconds. With the Lexar 40X Pro I can fill the card up. Plus, with the 40X, I can take 6 megapixel JPGs at a speed of approximately one per second (or just over one second), and keep shooting. With the slower cards, I am limited to just a few shots before I have to wait for the write cycle to end. The Sandisk Ultra II cards should have a similar write speed to the Lexar 40X. Regarding the 1GB limit, I am not sure the lower end cameras are capable of handling 2GB due to the FAT 32 necessary (?). But, I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully someone will provide some insight into that one.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:27 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
I am not sure the lower end cameras are capable of handling 2GB due to the FAT 32 necessary (?). But, I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully someone will provide some insight into that one.
Fat-16 will go up to 2G so most cameras are covered, you'll only need fat-32 if you exceed the 2G limit without partitioning... It's just kind of pricey over two 1G!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:35 PM   #5

Default Re: S602Z Questions

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8819
It is safe as long as you don't format one of your other drives by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac
Hi all,

2. I've read that you can format type 1 Flash cards to FAT format to overcome the 30 sec movie limit, how can this be done ? and is it safe ?

thanks for any advise.
Cheers,
Quyen.
scottamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:09 PM   #6
lac

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the comments so far.

regarding the card formating, please excuse if this followup question may sound stupid.

Can you put the CF card in the "floppy" drive door on your pc and type :

Type 'Format <driveletter>: /FS:FAT /A:8192' (FS=FileSystem A=Allocation Unit Size)

from a DOS prompt ? or would you need to do it via a card reader ?

cheers,
Q.
lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:25 AM   #7

You need a card reader looking like a remote drive, and either XP or Win2K running the DOS window. Type 'help format' (or is it 'format help') at the prompt to see the full list of command switches.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote