Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:20 AM   #1

Default S602 and Metz 45 CL-4

Can anyone help me with settings for use with this camera
and the flash? I have tried, but get either very white or very dark pictures (indoors)

I will be taking some pictures of a friends' wedding and I want to get it close to correct for the indoor pictures.

I don't get what setting to put the Flash on, TTL, Auto? and the dial...forget it. I am very NOT experienced with this sort of thing.

Sorry to be so vague in my questions....but some basic help would be greatly appreciated!

B
BM1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:18 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I don't get what setting to put the Flash on, TTL, Auto? and the dial...forget it. I am very NOT experienced with this sort of thing.
You got to use the dial on the Metz...! There's no other way around this, and the s602 has to be put on manual to use this flash (ie no TTL - If you have an S2 however, that's different since there's an SCA-3000 adapter for that camera):

1. The inner dial is used to set the ISO - line up the mark with 100 (or whatever your s602's ISO is set @).
2. The outer dial can be pointed to any aperture (ie all auto) detents other than the M (ie manual), or W (winder). The more you turn the outer dial counter-clockwise, the smaller the aperture...
3. Read off the aperture value from any of these marks (ie where the line is) on the outer dial and set the aperture on the s602 accordingly. The shutter on the s602 has to be set to 1/60s.

What all theses steps do is to set your flash on AUTO while the s602 is forced to manual. The flash will then output the correct light intensity for that aperture that you have just matched the flash to the camera!
There's two ways to use this flash. You can point both heads to the subject, but the prefered way is to bounce the main head off the ceiling while the secondary head does the main fill. You can also remove the 2nd filter if you want more light on the secondary head (review the shot with the s602 to see if you need to or not)...

BTW if you're bouncing the main head, you can also remove the diffuser adapter off the main head to increase its output (this will help decrease the recycle time of the 45's). Excellent choice of flash BTW for weddings, it works better than my 550EX on full E-TTL on the 10D, ie evenly lit with no hot-spot even with the 550EX's diffuser shield used! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:10 AM   #3

Thank you so much for your help!! I am going to take some test shots tonight in my home and see how they come out.

Do I leave my camera on "M" or can I put it on "P"? I should set the shutter to 60?

Thanks again for any help.

B
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:02 AM   #4
NHL

The camera should be on M, the shutter set to 1/60s... and the aperture on the s602 to match that of the one set on Metz 45's outer dial.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:40 AM   #5

Please don't shot me for being dense....but I have read the manual... and can't quite figure out how to move the inside dials. I move the outside ring, and then the inside one (for the ASA I think...) how do I adjust those other few settings?

Thanks!

B
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:43 AM   #6
NHL

Check page 12 of this manual there's a picture on how to do it:

1. Whe you turn the inner dial, there's a marker on the lower half that move with it. This should line up with the ISO (100) speed of your camera.

2 The outer dial will point to the selected apertures (ie you select which one you like) from f/2.8 to f/16. Line it up to an aperture that you like.

3. Set the camera for the same aperture, and the shutter speed to 1/60s

... There's no other settings!
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:33 AM   #7

Thanks for your help. I am pretty pleased with the results of my first outing with this flash and this camera. The flash is so powerful I had to point it straight up! It was best if I stood further away and zoomed in....

B
Old Oct 13, 2003, 10:45 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
The flash is so powerful I had to point it straight up!
You should have some reduction filters included with the 45CL-4 for the secondary fill-in head for controlling this flash. You might want to try this if the ceilings are too high!

The main head is almost always used pointing up or @ 45 degree to create a 3-dimension effect... Like I've said before this Metz unit produces much more pleasing pictures the 'old-fashioned' way than my E-TTL high-tech 550EX! :lol: :lol: :lol: