Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:33 AM   #1

Default How to get best results from Fuji S5000

I bought Fuji S5000 for many reasons.
a) Wanted good picture
b) Wanted decent look and feel
c) Wanted reliable manufacturer
d) Did not want lemon
e) Did not want to pay too much

After checking many, many units, I decided that Fuji S5000 fits.

Now, camera itself is very decent, good feel, beautiful finish.
However, software that came with it was puzzling and annoying. Spent about an hour deleting junky FujiPixetc stuff, had to employ Norton CleanSweep to do some work because it was like dealing with cheap shareware - no uninstall included.

Now, I have just USB driver, direct access to camera's JPG's, can copy, paste, cut, delete. Just like additional drive. I do forgive Fuji people for that annoying 200 meg plus load of useless things : got to remember, that some folks who buy and pay no necessarily have to know anything about computers, and factory's dealing just with pro's and semipro's will not pay your electric bill and taxes.

Anyway,
I use my S5000 as God indended: take a picture, plug USB cord, computer knows I just did, I go to USB drive, copy from there, paste to my Fuji folder on desktop, process with Photoshop 7.0, life is good.

and here is the point of this post- I DO NOT USE FUJI SUPPLIED SOFTWARE OTHER THEN USB DRIVER.

......... and results are quite nice.

if you see some folks a bit bitter about quality of pics -- this might be their problem:::good firmware yet lousy conversion software. Camera itself is not guilty.

Regards to all
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2003, 7:08 PM   #2

..............if you see some folks a bit bitter about quality of pics -- this might be their problem:::good firmware yet lousy conversion software. Camera itself is not guilty...................

Like you I junked the Fuji stuff on day 1. However, I'm curious about your comments on quality. A JPEG decoder should deliver consistent quality so I wonder what part of the software you are refering to. Yes I agree that it's clunky and full of web urls and promotion stuff, but I hadn't heard it let down on the quality of viewed and printed pics.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:06 PM   #3

Default Cyborg

Cyborg: What do you mean with the firmware you are talking about?? Has that to do with the software into the camera or what?
Please explain this to me in simple english. Thanx
Harrie
EirraH2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:27 AM   #4

Me too using only the USB driver.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:08 PM   #5

A secret - you don't need any USB driver. At least with Win XP.
And good software you'll never see on that disks. Mean - to view JPGs - it's hard to beat ACDSee, to edit - PhotoShop.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 8:36 AM   #6

For simply viewing of pictures, I'm using this XnView (freeware vs ACDSee US$49.99). The best part is it caches the current and next file. So going forth and back in slideshow is instant without delay (reading time). Of course it also has all the common basic editing tools and support folder/thumbnail view.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:17 PM   #7

you guys need to get a Mac..
i plug my camera in, and Iphoto launches right away. no driver hassle..
kind of reminds me of that one commercial for apple computers a while back.
flashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:33 PM   #8

The trouble is, we see other posters having problems, like formatting their cards through readers connected to Mac's, cams don't like the card and then most can't help! I might hate Bills stuff, but at least most of the time I know how to fix it!

Hey, can you do FAT16 selectable cluster size DOS formats on a MAC or run SMprep, and have you tried it on a card yet? Does it still put the MSDOS creation message in sector 0? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote