Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:23 PM   #1

I am trying S7RAW to process images from an s100fs camera.

I have tried a couple of other programmes as well, but s7raw is dedicated to S series Fujis, so I thought why not?

Anyway. The problem is that the programme puts out a tiff that is supposedly twice the pixel count of the original RAW file. Other programmes add a few pixels, because as I undersatnd this is how RAW roks; you actually get an increase in resolution. But how can the programm _double_ the pixels?

Makes for humungous files and slow processing! I also wander if it creates any artefacts while it's at it.

Thanks for any help.

Nick
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Administrator

That's odd. Are you sure about that? If you right click on one of the TIFF files and select Properties, what resolution in pixels is being shown (not the file size, which is different)?

If you're just going by file size, it may be that you're saving as an 8 bit TIFF in one application and a 16 Bit TIFF with another.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I moved this thread down to our Fujifilm Forum, where other S100fs owners may see it and respond. You had started the thread in our Fujifilm dSLR forum (which is for dSLR models like the S2 Pro, S3 Pro, and S5 Pro). Although the S100fs is a very advanced camera, and it's "dSLR like", it's not a dSLR.

Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply and the move, Jim. I posted here because I saw Steve's post about s7raw, and I did not reliase I had come down the wrong branch :?

However. No it's not the file size I am talking about, and I work with 8-bit tiff. PSP won't accept 16-bit The actual stated dimensions of the tiff are 5471*4120 (22.5Mp) and 64MB, when the original RAW is 22.6 MB. I can't read the pixel count of the RAF, but I believe it's abouit 10% more than the jpg, or around 12.5Mp. So the tiff is apparently twice the _resolution_ of the jpeg, exactly. s7RAW allows you to save the file at 9/16 size for some weird reason, and 9/16 *22.5 Mp is exactly the dimensions a RAW file should be! Go figure.

s7RAW has no support that I can find, or I would ask there. The guy who compiled the tute in s1raw has moved to a DSLR (Canon I think) and has rather lost track of s7RAW.

Nick
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:03 AM   #5
Administrator

Fuji has done some pretty strange stuff in the past (like outputting a raw file that contains twice as many pixels as the sensor has in some cases, even with models that don't have two photosites for each pixel). Look at the S2 Pro for one example of that (6 Million photosites, but it can output a raw file with 12 Million). lol

So, I'm wondering if that's what's happening here. I haven't looked at the raw files from your model yet.

Note that it's normal to see a much larger TIFF file compared to the original raw file. That's because the raw file only has one value associated with each photosite (each photosite is only sensitive to one color with a Bayer type sensor design). During the demosaic process (raw conversion), values from adjacent photosites are used via sophisticated interpolation algorithms in order to "guess" the values for red, green and blue, storing values for all 3 colors at each pixel location (where you only had a single value for each pixel being stored prior to the demosaic process in the raw converter).

Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:07 AM   #6

Thanks Jim

I seem to have nothing that lets me read the pixel count of the RAW. So I don;t how many "pixels" it has. :?

What you say makes sense if Fuji have done this before. And thank you very much for the explanation about tiff as well. That is very interesting and worth learning if I am going to use RAW.

I must start to learn about this stuff if I am to use RAW properly.

Nick
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:59 AM   #7

Imaging pixels on Fuji sensorsare staggered from row to row. The RAW file "fills in" empty spots in each row withinterpolated values derived from adjacent pixels. that's why a 9 Mp camera (S9000) will yield an ~18 Mb RAW file. When this gets converted to a 9 Mp TIFF, each pixel takes 3 bytes, 1 each for R/G/B, so the resultant TIFF file is ~27 Mb.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:48 AM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Imaging pixels on Fuji sensorsare staggered from row to row. The RAW file "fills in" empty spots in each row withinterpolated values derived from adjacent pixels. that's why a 9 Mp camera (S9000) will yield an ~18 Mb RAW file. When this gets converted to a 9 Mp TIFF, each pixel takes 3 bytes, 1 each for R/G/B, so the resultant TIFF file is ~27 Mb.
Thanks for the input. But why does the _pixel_ count "go up". The "pixel count" is way up (50%???) above the sensor's count. So "RAW" from this camera is processed anyway? That's not what RAW is about, surely?

Nick
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:33 PM   #9

Hi

I read that the RAW file size was like54xx - 41xx was the full size of the CCD of the S100fs, but dont ask me how they are doing that. Not unless the sensor is bigger (higher pixel count )and only using apart of it in the Jpeg settings. The reason I think this might be is what they are doing on the different jpeg setting in the camera.look at the owner manual. See how the count changes on the lower QT settings compared to the 11F settings. I'm not sure where I read it. I use the S7Raw program and like it. Plus it is Free !!!! I found a tech sheet in a UK magazine and it told all the indepth specs on the S100fs. It gave some insight on the CCD that was being used (detailed) . Fuji don't tell to much about it. they dont even tell the exact size of the chip ( mm x mm ). All it says is 2/3 inch ? I'll try to find it and post a link. I could be wrong but I think that is great alot more info (detail)to work with.

Len
ATCLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:42 PM   #10

Hey Len

Thanks for that info. If you can find that link I would be very grateful

EDIT: This all seems to boil down to Fuji being weird with pixels and RAW.

Nick