Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:45 PM   #31

SUDDENLY FIXED !

Had to shout that, as I am quite happy about it.

OK, the S6500fd exposure bug is fixed.
The bug just to recap, was that the images in the viewfinder or LCD looked good as you took the pictures, but looked washed out once captured (review on camera or PC). So all my captured pic's looked overexposed even though they looked about right in the Viewfinder/LCD as you AE locked the shots. Auto and program modes were effected about the same.

OK, today I played with just about every possible exposure effecting setting on the camera (in the sunny back yard) for something to do, but with little effect on the problem, until......

I played with the EV settings in Program mode and set it to +2EV for a couple of shots, then worked down stop by stop to -2EV. Then deciding that -1EV was going to be the best option I did a few more test shots (outdoors in bright sun, shooting the back yard fence as it's well lit up in the sun). For whatever reason I then put the EV back to 0EV and took a few comparison shots. Suddenly, I realized the exposures looked OK on 0EV now.. What the ?
I have tried about 100 test shots since, now what I see in the LCD or Viewfinder is what gets captured in all modes. A bloody odd thing, but I 'think' by ranging the EV from fully + to fully - I've reset some parameter in the camera.

Before you think "He just had the EV set to some + value", nope that's not possible as the camera tells you every shot that you have EV off of 0EV......

So, a firmware bug in my opinion, and I managed to fluke a 'fix'. I hope it's permanent.

Cheers,
Martin

EDIT: Nope not permanent, it still does it sometimes, I'm trying to pin down why.

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:15 AM   #32

Hi Mr. Sneezy

Have you managed to find out the cause of this over expose feature? (OK, I don't think this is a feature but more of a firmware bug but feature sounds better and make me less upset:-))

I have a S6500fd and it is showing the same thing as yours and many thanks for you postI have it under control but sometimes it is not totally fixed, it still over expose a little.

I think if we can find out the exact steps that cause this over expose feature to turn on the we can prevent it.

I found that at asunny day if I turn on the camera first then remove lens cap, LCD will show totally whiteness like over exposed then slowly return to normal, after this over expose feature got enabled. I then playedwith EV setting as you suggested and some other setting for about 20 minutes then this feature would go away.

Now the annoy thing is after it is fix I can't turn on this feature again until next day, so I am not sure if this is the exact cause. :?

123Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:38 PM   #33

123Cheese wrote:
Quote:
I found that at asunny day if I turn on the camera first then remove lens cap, LCD will show totally whiteness like over exposed then slowly return to normal, after this over expose feature got enabled. I then playedwith EV setting as you suggested and some other setting for about 20 minutes then this feature would go away.
Hi,
I have been tinkering with mine too in bright light to pin down the issue. OK, I independently have also found a time component to the issue. First shots after power up in bright light are over exposed, but then subsequent shots seem to get better and better (indoors seems OK, or not very noticeably over exposed).
The point at which I say it's OK is when the shot review looks the same exposure as the view finder image as it was taken. Interestingly it takes about 10 to 15 minutes before it's normal again.
I don't use a lens cap (use a sky filter in lieu), so the effect may be less for mine than yours.

This actually doesn't sound like a firmware issue now. Although it did just start very suddenly (first noticed after a long plane flight to the USA).

So the symptoms seem to be. High over exposure on the first shots in bright light, shots returning to normal exposure over time, between 10-20 minutes. Exposure issue not seen again until camera rested for a few days.

Does that sound like yours ?

If so we've got the same issue then...
We need to find the trigger to be able to find a cure. It could be temperature change, it could be time alone, it could be component warm up or cooling. I think some cameras might have Peltier effect cooled CCD's, don't know if such a consumer device like the s6000/6500 would though.

It 'might' be firmware, but I've reduced the chances since I too found the time component in the problem.

If anybody can find the firmware for the S6500 (I can't) I'm game to reload it as a first step.

After that, I'm going to disassemble it perhaps, and check all the signal cables/plugs.

I'll try some controlled photo tests today if I have time, that show the changing exposure.

Martin

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:01 PM   #34

Some test shots. Shot sequentially about three minutes apart. Shows some exposure recovery over time, but not much today. Shot in P mode, no EV bias.
Shot 1

Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:02 PM   #35

Shot 4. I skipped two and three but they are just slightly less exposed than number 1.

Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:06 PM   #36

Stumbled apon an acid test to demonstrate. I took a photo with another camera of the Fuji's pre shot histogram. Then a post shot image as well. Check out the vast difference in them. The pre shot shows good exposure curve, the post shot shows it hard up against the over exposed side ! This just shouldn't be happening, should it...
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:07 PM   #37

Post shot histogram.
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:09 PM   #38

You could even see the difference in the pre-post exposures too in the LCD images.

Below is a shot taken right after with the old Sony point and shoot.
It exposes correctly (or good enough).

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:53 AM   #39

Hi, Mr. Sneezy

I think we have the exact issue. Like you I also think "time" is at play here, I have tried with exact same steps with EV change and it does not fix the issue until steps are repeated few times and about 20 minutes gone passed.

Not sure if temperatture has any play at this, it looks hot where you at but it's cold here about 7 deg. and cloudy today, I tried few shots this morning before I left house and there are only a slight over exposure. So maybe it has something to do with the amount of light with camera first powered on or maybe there is just not enough light to show the over exposure in a cloudy day. Can you try few indoor shots first then outdoor? Sunny days are rare this time of year here.

You are much observent than me. I did not noticechange in histogram or how exposure improves a little after each shot. I will try as you did here taking themat a regular interval and see what happens. I will also try just have it powered on for 20 minutes and see it makes any differents. I will post my findings here in a day or two.

123Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:21 AM   #40

Will wait your result with interest. I'll do an indoor to outdoor test soon too. Try that histogram Pre v's Post too. I used a steady tripod to keep the focus in the exact same spot between shots.
Martin