Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:08 AM   #41

OK, I been taking pictures all morning.

I left camera by the window and take a shot every 5 -15 minutes. I don't make any changes to any of settings. Sometime it will auto power off and I just power it on and take an other picture and left it alone again. There is no change in exposureafter about 3 hours.

Now my batteries haverun dry so I can't do more test or download pictures untilthey arecharged.Idon't think it has to do with "time" alone. Maybe it needs to have constant power for 20 minutes. At lease that's what was happenning when I was messing with EV settingscamera was contently on for 20+ minutes.

Interesting how this started happen to you after a plane journey.My camera was packed away in it's case, didn't use it for two weeks and then went on a 4 hours flight. Tried to takefirst picture and it started doing the overexpose thing. Do you think something might have got knocked loose during the plane journey?
123Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:52 AM   #42

Hmm. Yes, we need to keep it from going into sleep mode by fiddling the buttons every minute or so.
Best done while watching TV or something. It may be more about On-time than total time.

Yes, I agree that the fact yours also started after a plane flight is more than mere coincidence. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had this happen the same.

The plane could have two effects. High frequency vibrations over time could have loosened ribbon connectors or surface pressure contacts (dirty perhaps), or it could have been the quick drop in cabin air pressure while going to cruise height. The cabin pressure is lower than on the ground. It's a wild idea but not impossible, due to dust seals holding air pressure etc. Might have damaged the sensor even (hope not).

Lets see if the On-time is the key, plus any other owners with the same issue. Then it's either flash firmware or open it up !

Martin
PS. Did you try the Histogram thing ?
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:37 AM   #43

Hello

I am back with some testing results. I took lots of picture in the past few day out side my window.

Yesterday I triedtake a picture every few minutes without making any changes to settings. It is set to P mode with Average photomatry. To keep it power on Ikept it in my hand andhalf press shutter every few secondsbut no noticeable improvement after almost an hour..

I then start to play with settingschange photometry to SPOT and half press shutter and releastrepeatly for 30 times and thenchange back to average then take a shot and after 3 cycle of thisexposure issue seems to be fixed.

Itook a note of histrogram before and after each shot. I have notice it is different before and after each shot. However after shot histogram on my pictures remains the same shape but shift to the right. If I alter EV setting I can shift hitogram to the same place as before shot.

When I say exposure issue seems to be fixed I mean the histogram stays more or less the same shape and place.

So by this test I would say "time" is not the only thing some fidderling are needed also. But I can't see why or how fiddling can fix this issue.

Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:12 AM   #44

I just duplicated your test run. In my case changing the focus metering didn't seem to help. Also tried the EV from full + to full -, no help this time.
Also fiddled the EV metering modes, no change really but I noticed by then that the exposure burn out was reducing slowly after each frame.
Took lots of frames, gradually the exposure (and histogram) approached normal to the extent it was hard to pick any overexposure, except a bit through the histogram display.
I gave up after about 100 or so frames, but the exposure was never quite back to normal., very close but not quite.

It looks like to me that it's more about how many frames I'm shooting, the more I do the faster exposure gets back to normal. It also seems to me that the problem is getting worse and taking longer to normalize now !.

One thing, video mode seems to be OK with exposure, although I need to try it when it's at it's worst to be sure.

Ideas: Not many. I've been in the electronics repair business for a very long time, and I still not sure if what we're seeing is a physical or firmware problem. I'm leaning to physical though, maybe a leaky capasitor fault or something.

I've looked for any info about disassembling this model Fuji, but come up with zero. If you find anything let me know (ditto firmware)... Basically if I can't use this camera outdoors without dicking with it for 20 minutes first then it's a dead loss, and I need to do something about it soon.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:59 AM   #45

I think you are onto something here, I was just playing around and took some shots and not much improvements. But then I tried just take one frames after an other and it came back to normal again after about 20 frames. In the view mode I can see histogram shifting like and animated movie.

I did notice one thing, while there is an exposure issue, if I woulduse M mode and select proper apature and shutter speed, I can get perfect result.

So it would seems there is nothing wrong camera as taking picture it is just calculating wrong apature and wrong shutter speed, but I still don't undertand how can calculation get improved after few frames and get worst again next day.

Yesterday was sunny here and I noticed while there still an issue with sunny outdoor picture, indoor picture could be fine already. So if it is sunny then it would take longer to exposure issue to go away, I think it could have something to do with amount of light, maybe UV light?

Also in P mode the shutter speed setting changes when I half press shutter buttonand when over exposure issue has gone away or reduced there is less or no change at all.

One more thing I noticed with my camera. when I half presse shutter button I can hear the noise of something clicking, I think this is normal butI think it is getting louder specially the last click. Maybe something has came loose or am i going mad here??

So far I can reduce the issue of over exposure effect but once it is reduced I can enduce it again, until it decided to comeback again. I think if we can find a way to enduce it then we can control it. I think I understand what you are talking about with leaky capasitor. It would explains slow improvement and reoccure issue over night.

I have been looking for firmware around the net, even v1.0 the same one we already have. but no joy at all. I am hoping this is firmware issue and it can be fixed without openning it up.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:09 AM   #46

Interesting, keep the ideas flowing, one will be right...
I'll try M mode and report, it's raining here so maybe tomorrow.

It 'might' be an issue with a sticky aperture iris too. It seems to me that the camera opens the iris as it takes a shot (have you noticed this) and then closes again rapidly. Something to do with final settings as it captures the image maybe. So apart from capacitors it could be the iris mechanism is getting slow to respond and the firmware doesn't wait for it to shut.

Yep, I'd like to reload the original firmware too, maybe someone at Fuijfilm will take pity on us and post the 1.0 firmware on their corperate site !

I started looking at other cameras today (online), and I realized why most DSLR's don't grab me. Liveview, or lack of. If I buy a DSLR it's got to have it or it will seem primitive compared to the S6500. Only a few DSLR's have it.

Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:34 AM   #47

When I first notice this over exposure issue, my pictures were almost all white with lines through it. just like example in this post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

It has not generate pictures that bad since I been filddling with it everyday. I think I will give it a rest for a day or two and see if issue gets that bad again.

Rest is the only way I know how to induce this issue. I wonder does this tells us something.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:39 AM   #48

Venetian Blind effect. Never seen that with mine.

Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:03 AM   #49

I tried out Manual mode today. Yes, it's over exposed too, on screen and in the post shot histogram.

I'm looking on Ebay for a broken S6500/6000/9000/9500 to buy cheap to see how this model disassembles. A faulty S9500 went for $70AU two weeks ago, a bit too much for experimenting... Should any Aussies read this and have a broken or faulty one to pull apart, or have done it already, let me know !
Old Mar 29, 2009, 7:15 PM   #50

The over exposure has now got to the point where outdoor photography is a waste of time, even with a polarizer fitted to knock down the light (50% cut I guess).

I'll be pulling it apart for inspection soon as I get a few free hours to concentrate on it, and I've started looking at replacements if that's required.

Thinking about going to a 4/3 dSLR next time...

Anyone know if Fuji Australia supports customers with these sort of quality problems (out of warrantee) ?

Ithink they were replacing CCD's free of charge for a common quality issue some time back, but this one is not common !