Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:30 AM   #51

Well I couldn't fix the issue. So I bought a new camera.
Before wrapping up this thread though, here is what's inside the S6500fd when I looked for any obvious problems.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:59 AM   #52

Hi Martin,

Great hands and memory you got, taking yours apart and back together again.

Has been really busy for the pass two month and not much time to test on my camera. Last time I checked it got Venetian Blind effect again. but after 100 shots or so it went away and slowly improves but never got back to normal. :sad:

I guess there is nothing "loose" inside caused this effect, I wonder which sencer is it.

Maybe I will give it try to take mine apart but don't think I can put it back together tho:lol:

123Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:16 AM   #53
Administrator

123Cheese wrote:
Quote:
When I first notice this over exposure issue, my pictures were almost all white with lines through it. just like example in this post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=16
That's a bad sensor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:50 AM   #54

I suspect mine is too, it just doesn't get the lines through it. The only other thing that might make sense is a sticky iris or weak actuator. I did blow out the lens assembly with canned air and smack it around a bit to loosen any possible grit or dust. No change at all (and caused no extra dust either). I could try to pull down the lens further, but I decided it was a high risk and low reward operation. Hence bought the Oly E-520. Heck of a camera too...
Just wish I'd been able to afford a 300mm lens like the top end of the Fuji has. A later purchase now.
Martin
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:25 PM   #55

At least someone else got info on another model. I learned more about exposure and photometry settings. I use p mode myself with multi metering and use compensation +- to adjust overexposure. I also adjusted sharpness to sharp, force iso to auto 400 or just use 100 most of the times. works fine!

I don't understand why these cameras (or most brands) auto mode sucks. the s2000hd loves high iso and over exposes bright areas in auto mode. Other issues is chromatic aberration in super macro and fringing in other shots.

thanks!

ohh! a discussion about bright sun and sensor
http://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/009ltO
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:50 PM   #56

Thanks for the inputs, I still don't understand why or how shots improves after 100+ shots. Surly if sensor is gone it should produce the same result all the time.

Does anyone konws which sensor it might be and what it look like?

cheers
123Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:40 PM   #57

You must have missed my link posted 6 replies above...

The link takes you to a 90% strip down of the S6500fd. It shows the sensor quite clearly in two or more photos.

I stopped the disassembly when I got to the front half of the lens as the time to go further was going to more than double. This was because the lens control ribbon cable needed to be unwound from the rear half first. Maybe one day I'll try that...
At the moment the camera is used by my wife for indoor photography, I now use the Olympus E-520 I bought two weeks ago :-)

Old May 28, 2009, 8:29 PM   #58

Default Workaround fix

I believe I've found a fix for the problem at least on my camera. I, too, was suddenly getting _greatly_ overexposed outdoor images with very occasional horizontal banding. I tried all of the manipulations mentioned here to no avail.

Then, when in the menu for full manual mode, I noticed that I couldn't change the focus and photometry modes. Those options were grayed out. That certainly wasn't right!

I moved all of the various rotary controls and pressed all of the buttons on the camera to make sure that there wasn't an electrical contact issue and, lo and behold, when I moved the autofocus mode control located just to the left of the lens barrel from the single focus (S) mode that I've been using forever to the continuous focus (C) mode, the focus option setting and photometry mode options magically returned in my manual exposure mode menu! When I went back to single focus mode, those options disappeared again, so something still isn't right, perhaps a camera internal contact or other component issue or firmware bug, but my camera once again properly exposes in auto exposure mode in _both_ continuous and single focus modes! No more massive overexposure, just the typical S6500fd outdoors overexposure that can be compensated for by EV adjustments.

I'll let you know if this fix lasts, but it has already lasted through a large number of power-on/off cycles. If it returns, I'll just cycle the C/S/MF autofocus mode switch again. I contacted Fuji about getting a copy of the only version of firmware they've ever made for this camera (v1.0) since they don't, of course, have it as an "update" on their web site, but I got the standard form letter response from them with my email. I'll have to call their service department and talk to a human being. If I can get a copy, which I doubt, I'd like to try reloading the firmware. However, the camera works again, so there's no pressing need for that.

Last edited by Winston84; May 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM.
Winston84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 4:36 AM   #59

Thanks for the info Winston. I'll try that myself and see if it does anything for me.
Let us know if you get the firmware, I'll certainly be reloading it to see what happens.

Martin