Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:17 PM   #1

I've had this camera for a year and really like it. One thing I don't like though is that I find in bright sunlight outdoors that it will over expose many shots.
I mainly use Auto mode, but I switch to Program and drop the EV to -1 when I get an overexposed shot. That helps, but I'd really prefer to work out why Auto can't get it right sometimes. Anyone got an idea ?

Attached is one I was trying to get recently on a bright day.

Martin

Attached Images

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:03 PM   #2

Martin,

I have the same camera (S6000), and have found that it is just not a great 'Auto' mode cam. I use 'P' for most conditions, and it works just fine...almost like an auto mode. Another advantage of 'P' mode is that your camera will alert you if the scene is brighter than your metering can handle.

And by the way, I noticed you had your photometry function set to 'multi' or 'pattern'...have you tried setting it to 'spot' in those 'contrasty' situations? Try it - I think you'll get a much better exposure in those situations like you just posted.

Good luck.
the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:34 PM   #3

Hi,

Yes, I've tried program mode with spot metering too and compared. Not much difference at the time. I have taken plenty of great bright light photos in the past on Auto and Program, so I wondered if I had a firmware lockup issue in the camera recently. I pulled out the batteries and also then did a camera reset but I don't think anything changed. The problem is like the camera lost some dynamic range.
I had ISO200 set in the camera in P mode, would ISO100 have made a difference in very bright light ?

PS. There was actually a partly blue sky in the background !
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:53 AM   #4

Martin,

There's no doubt that you completely blew out the blue sky on that shot (as well as the side wall of the building). I went back over some of my pictures, trying to find a similiar occurence, and could not. I don't believe I have ever used 'multi' or 'pattern' metering on my camera - usually 'spot' or 'average' metering.

According to the EXIF info in your pic, it was taken at ISO 100, 1/420 sec/ F5, 'pattern' metering. I wonder if 'average' metering might have done better. Also, I think if you had used 'spot' metering, and did a focus lock on the side wall of the building, then recomposed your shot, it would have come out much better.

Hopefully, your camera hasn't developed an issue. Try taking a few identical high contrast shots using all three metering modes, and see what the difference is. When you use spot mode, try using focus lock on different areas of brightness, then recompose ths shot.

Good luck,
the Hun

Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:25 PM   #5

I did some tests and couldn't get it to blow out again like the old house shot. One thing I do notice though is that the just captured image is always more exposed than what I see in the LCD back screen..... Is your like that ?

I just shot some test pictures in a contrasty situation, and it seemed to perform fine. there is one shot in each exposure mode.

I also tried the F-chrome setting later, and it deepens the colours. I sort of like it actually, but I'm not sure if its a good thing to use all the time.

Average

Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:26 PM   #6

Spot

Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:27 PM   #7

Multi

Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:48 PM   #8

Spot gets my vote, Martin. I'll bet you pre-focused on the bricks in the center of the frame, didn't you? I wonder what that shot would have looked like if you had pre-focused on the dark shadows beneath the foliage, then re-centered on the bricks. I bet you would have blown out that beautiful blue sky.

I only use the EVF to compose my shots, so I haven't noticed any difference in LCD exposure.

A couple of things I noticed about your shots...1) You seem to use 'Normal' quality level, rather than 'Fine'. Any particular reason? 2) You posted your shots on Saturday 11/22, and the EXIF info says you took the pics on 11/23. Do you have your date and time set correctly on your camera, or did you change the EXIF with Picasa?

By the way...where do you live? It looks beautiful, sunny and warm there - leaves still on the trees. My Saturday involved 23 degrees, with 35 knot wind gusts...trade ya!

the Hun

Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:17 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments. We live in Adelaide Australia. Nice right now but we're in drought here still ( 4 years worth roughly) and the garden will soon get scorched.

I started using Normal quality in lieu of Fine because I ran low on XD cards while on holiday recently. I didn't notice much difference so I left it on Normal (mistake ?).

The cameras is probably set to USA time still, or I just goofed. I don't know how to trick the file data.

Yep, I composed the shots on the brick wall each time.

I'll test the camera again on another bright day in a similar setting to the blown out shots and try other settings. Might be a few weeks.

Martin

Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:04 AM   #10

Hi all.

i got something similar happning to my s65000fd..if i use auto mode, every shot is way over exposed. i mean...like...the camera always picks the highest ISO setting...1600/3200.

no mater what the weather is like...sunshine/cloudy/rain/snow...always the same ISO...ive had this camera almost a year now...im not a pro but i know a little to tell me something is wrong. i now use manual mode/aperture mode..ive got control..and the pics are ok. its auto mode that seems to go beserk with the ISO settings..even the scene mode is act the same way as auto. if i was doing something wrong, surly the automatic modes would do what there designed to do. why is it locked on to high ISO?...trust me..ive done this loads of times in all weather conditions to find if i was at fault.

my pics are good in manual mode...well passable...i cant come of ISO100..if i do the noise is just to much...ive seen pics with same camera and i wonder how they got good results...any ideas as to why auto is stuck on high ISO or is it a malefuction in camera?...i know about low light conditions...i know about the weather can play a big part of photography.....im just curious only.

thanks you all:?
Mickyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote