Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Write Fuji about S5000

I've been talking with Fuji representatives from Europe (since I bought my camera from The Nederlands), and so far they've been quite promptly replying to my e-mails.

I just sent an e-mail and asked for a firmware fix for Fuji FinePix S5000. What I would like to see is:

- less JPEG compression

- a bar on the screen when doing manual focus (something that even the less expensive Canon A60 has)

- improved sharpening algorithms. if people always use SOFT in order to see less noise and keep details, then what's the use for the other two sharpening algorithms? they seem to do more harm then good. this also seems to be a problem with S7000 too.

I'm asking other S5000 users to do the same. Maybe a combination of our ideas would be better for a DOABLE firmware upgrade (don't ask for things like "remove purple fringing" since I don't think that's possible...in software that is).

--
Fuji FinePix S5000z owner
Canon PowerShot A40 ex-owner
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:41 PM   #2

I want longer shutter speed!! Is it possible through a firmware?
randomideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:46 PM   #3

I think so, yes.

Post your request to the Fuji representative in your country please.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 4:31 AM   #4
atg

Weedee, what kind of replies have you got from Fuji regarding your firmware upgrade requests?
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 7:29 AM   #5
atg

OK, so I just wrote Fuji Finland and this is what they said:

"We do not have upgrades for camera's software.

Camera does have RAW-functionality which produces better image quality.

Exposure times and changing focusing functionalities are not possible for this camera."

So I don't think they will make any upgrades at all...

By the way, does the RAW functionality also contain high level of noise?
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:11 AM   #6

Well so far, Fuji has been very responsive to my problems. They asked me to send them some photos taken so they can evaluate the problem and give me a solution.

Of course, there is no problem (if you put it that way). There are a lot of other cameras who compress their JPEG's to death.

Still, a manual focus bar (or distance in meters, feet, whatever) is required. And other things too...

Their latest reply was:
"I send your e-mail to the product manager of Fujifilm. He will answer you about your suggestions.

best regards,
Kees Valk
Fujifilm Nederland BV "

That's after I requested a firmware upgrade.

So I'm hoping (not too much though) that the Fuji policy concerning firmware upgrades will change. Time will tell I guess.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 2:56 AM   #7

Hello,

The product manager is in contact with someone by Fujifilm Japan about your suggestion. When he have answer he will contact you by e-mail.

Best regards,

Kees Valk
Fujifilm Nederland BV
Tel.: +31 (0)10-2812345
Fax : +31 (0)10-4334775
Old Oct 31, 2003, 2:57 AM   #8

Are all these companies just feeding us the same lines? What is this? Circus show? :x
Old Oct 31, 2003, 2:59 AM   #9

After thinking a lot the past few days, I'd be happy even if they do the following two things:
- manual focus bar (damn it, when it's too much light it gets so hard to focus )
- do not RETRACT THE LENS!!! when AutoPowerDown is set to *Off*

Cheers,
vee.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 5:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedee
After thinking a lot the past few days, I'd be happy even if they do the following two things:
- manual focus bar (damn it, when it's too much light it gets so hard to focus )
- do not RETRACT THE LENS!!! when AutoPowerDown is set to *Off*

Cheers,
vee.
The lens stays at the extended position when you take the battery out, right? I'm not sure if this would help you at all but how about putting a little external power switch between the batteries and the camera. So all you have to do is cut the power with the switch after you have stopped shooting. When you put it on again, the lens will be extracted allready. This solution doesn't solve the problem when you want to play with the play mode.
bassino is offline   Reply With Quote