Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1

Default S602 .... CF Cards That Work

<BLOCKQUOTE>
The S602 is now a past Fuji camera but one that I am very proud to own. Over the past year there has been many concerns about CF cards in the S602. When I bought my S602 I also bought a PNY 256 CF card and to date have had no problems with the camera and card. Just recently my wife and I when to the Orlando Florida area for a vacation and I wanted a larger capacity CF card for the trip. Through Tiger Direct I ordered a Viking 512 card. The capacity of this card at the 3 mp setting is guestimated at 400 pictures. This card also has preformed flawlessly in my S602. Both the PNY and Viking cards work great in the S602. Bottom line is if you have the S602 and are concerned about CF cards give PNY and Viking a try.
They Work
</BLOCKQUOTE>
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:14 PM   #2

rritter............are you saying you can run your 602 in movie mode 640X480 and fill the whole card up without a freeze, or shoot TIFFs continuously without a freeze and the writes for 6Mpix and TIFF are nearly as fast as Smartmedia?.

I believe these are the issues, but OK if you are just taking single shots normally, then I'd agree that most CF should 'work'. Regards VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 6:47 PM   #3

No I have taken movies and pics at 6 pm with no problems. Maybe I just have had good fortune with my S602. I do primarily use the camera at the 3 mp setting and shoot still pics.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:12 AM   #4

Thanks, like you I used to use mine most of the time at 3Mpix and found no probs until I started using the movie funtion. The problem for all of us though, is the brand name on its own doesn't always guarantee the chips, processor and firmware which make up a CF card (unlike 'generic' SM).

So I've always hesitated with a recommendation, since the product for any brand inside the packaging, can be different at any time. Hence my curiosity with your experience. VOX
Old Oct 21, 2003, 6:44 AM   #5

I have several CF cards, and the one that works the best is the Lexar 40X Pro. In movie mode, my Sandisk 128(standard card) cuts off after 17 seconds. My Sandisk Ultra 256 goes up to 22 seconds. My Lexar 40X 256 lets me fill the card. Also, with the Lexar 40X I can take a 6 megapixel shot approximately every second, and my 5 frame bursts cycle through very quickly. I have read that the Sandisk Ultra II cards will write at about the same speed as the Lexar 40X.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:03 AM   #6

Marty1, That's useful to know. I debated out the faster and slower cards Versus MD. At the time my view on the more expensive faster cards was much like rritters, If you just shoot regular shots and don't care much about movie (when a movie cam might be better), then why pay more. But then you do make a point about multi-shot mode, and since I now shoot 6Mpix and use the 5 shot mode, that shifts my original thinking.

So it's probably still a cash decision between MD and 32-40X CF. So far I've had no bad experiences with MD and it is pretty fast. VOX
Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:52 PM   #7

I can't recommend viking. I was using my 602 this morning and started getting write errors after I took each shot. I'll have to investigate more when I get back home but it doesn't look good. It's a 256MB viking less than a month old.
scottamus is offline   Reply With Quote