Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Worth waiting for replacement of S100FS?

Or is it worth buying now - considering it has been on the market for 10 months now - as price is now much lower than in March 2008 when it first came out?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2

I haven't heard any news of a successor to the S100fs. Fuji seems to be concentrating on their new Super CCD EXR sensor. However, they have stated that they only intend to install it in their small sensor, compact camera line. Therefore, I don't know what changes they could make to the S100 - probably just screw it up by removing some features and making it more expensive. Now, if they were planning on putting the new chip in it, then it might be worth waiting for. I believe their current plans are to release the new compact camera/sensor combo sometime this Spring.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:05 PM   #3

Quite true. I don't think they can improve the range or the sensor size as they cannot make thecamera bigger (already 900g).
  • Certainly slightly larger LCD or better EVF or both.[/*]
  • As you explained, potentially new sensor with more pixels.[/*]
  • How can they give better optics with same price point?
[/*]
Agree with you. Next one will probably have more toys, but might not fundamentally what we need, i.e. photo quality..

Also, at current price, seems a good deal. Newish competitors don't seem to bring same optics.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:30 PM   #4

I don't think anyone else is currently offering a 2/3" sensor in a P&S. The S100 certainly has an abundance of features, and better low light performance than the competition. If the price keeps dropping, I might just have to pick one up for myself.

the Hun

Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:01 PM   #5

Your going to wait for a long time,, the S100fs has won a award for best bridge superzoom i have one and it is a great camera, also for me the S100fs is not that heavy next to my Canon 450D with the tamron 18-270 lens it's a featherweight
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:24 PM   #6

Hi I'm very happy with my S100fs. If a new one comes out later I'm sure it will be alot more money than what you can get now !! Prices are good and with the rebate it is even better. Good luck. Len
ATCLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:27 PM   #7

...rebate???

the Hun

Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:59 PM   #8

The S100fs is a pretty darn good camera as it is. But my wish list for potential changes would be topped by:

1) EVF/LCD quality equal to the Panasonic G1

2) Add in-camera processing to eliminate CA - the only flaw that really matters with this camera

3) Improved battery life

If Fujifilm can do this - while holding the line on price - it would become an instant classic and a good argument for not bothering with micro four-thirds. Personally, I see no need for added pixels.

Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:07 PM   #9

Hi

I hate that it had some CA in the photo's, But I would like to remove it my self. Its not a problem for me. If you learn the cameraand setting its not a problemwith CA in shot. There are alot of camera out their being made that have alot of problems and they fix the problem with software to hid the defect in the camera. I would like to know. Not hide it from me. I read alot of Nikon and Canon do that alot.

Ok fuji Don't . Maybe they should. It dont matter to me because I like to play with all my photos in my software anyway. Far as Battery power its not to bad . What I like is you can buy them cheap. There is alot going on inside. Out of all the camera's features I have to say the EVF was the hardest for me to get use to. I'm getting better using it and you almost have to trust the camera. Thanks to fuji for having a good focus system that is dead on ! I like the small size I dont like the type of LCD they are using. Their is a lot better types out there. I had a fuji 602 it was better.

One thing I would like them to change is when it shuts down by its self and it is still on all you had to do is hit the shutter and it would power up like a Dslr. I hate turning that switch off and on again, and it had HD video. That would be a nice software upgrade !!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they could add that with no problem. 1280x720p or a wide screen setting. and most of all external mic jack.. Now we are talking.......LOL Hey Fuji !!!!!!! Give us HD video like the S2000HD baby brother.

I love my camera and If they do upgrade to a new model and add 1) HD video 2)better EVF ( not bigger just better ) 3) better battery life. I would upgrade ,but only for the HD video other than that I'll keep what i got. Most of all the price will go up to 800 + again im sure.

Has any one got their rebate back yet. I just sent my in yesterday. also you can get acc's kitwith fuji's 2yrs warr,software,and fuji bag at buydig for 39.95 . It was on backorder butmine was shipped today. They just got some in. Not a bad price, the software cost more than that.. and 10.00 off retail price

There is always room for upgrades that makes the world go around ! and there is always something better. Man that sucks !! LOL

Len

ATCLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:54 PM   #10

Len,

Regarding the rebate, I submitted a request for a rebate on my S6000, which was received by Fuji on 11/27/07. They mailed my check on 1/18/08. They use a 3rd party to handle the rebate operations...at least that was how it was done back then.

the Hun