Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:48 PM   #11

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:04 PM   #12

Veedee....

Thanks for the link. The review was very informative.

I have a 2500L that I want to upgrade. Sadly, most of the new cameras appear to have noise issues. It's almost... as if buying last years "new stuff" might be a better option" - 7Hi, 602 or even an E-20.

thanks !!!
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:12 PM   #13

Sadly, the new Fuji S7000 has major image quailty problems. In image quality, it's outclassed by even pocketable 5 MPixel cameras such as the Optio 555 and the Minolta G500. The problems are both noise-related and in the inherent resolution of the camera.

See Steve's reviews of these cameras and compare similar photos for yourself. DC Resource's review, which actually compared photos with the Option 555, was much less polite than Steve's,

"There's a lot to like about this camera, but unfortunately image quality is not one of those things. ...

"The Fuji FinePix S7000 is a camera with a lot of potential that was ultimately a let down in the image quality department. ...

"I can live with a little "grain" in images, but when it starts eating away at details, it's too much." http://www.dcresource.com

I can understand image quality tradeoffs with camera size, pixel count, and price. However, there's no excuse for a large, 6-12 million pixel, $799 list camera to have this problem.

I think Steve's concluding comments about the image quality of this camera are much too kind.
DC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:19 AM   #14

Geesh, the ancient canon G2 had cleaner images than this baby. It seems like the digital camera output quality is getting lower and lower every year. We all better grab a camera right away because next years models will probably be even worse.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:37 AM   #15

Do not judge the camera so hard until you get a chance to review it by yourself.

Sadly, everytime a new camera appears, people go and bash it. That happens especially with Fuji cameras.

No! It is not a worse camera! You have to take some time to learn how to play with it (like a new set of drums, they don't have the same intensity as your old ones, so first impression would be "they suck").

Same thing was said about S5000 and now everyone seems to like its pretty pretty colors and images.

I think that the S7000 will sell like crazy next year, same way the S602 did.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:51 PM   #16

I was waiting for weeks for the s7000 to hit the shelves, now that it has I am gonna wait some more. Well at least until I hear/read/see something positve about the noise issue. In some pics I have seen the blue sky almost looks green. Now for $800 thats pushing it a bit. Dont get me wrong there are many things to love about this camera or should I say that there is only one thing not to like about the camera, sadly enough thats the one thing you want the camera to do.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 3:03 PM   #17

Default I told you that :)

Well, the same minor problems, I've complained already for S5000, seems to appear mayor ones for S7000.
I think it's becourse of price - $800, or that there are no new announced cameras from Fuji - and noone can say - wait for S90000000, for $100000000 - it will make everyone happy.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:23 PM   #18

Default S7000 Image Quality isn't Poor

I've been reading all the bad mouthing about the S7000 image noise and when I look at many sample pictures, I can't help but agree ... the sample images aren't what I hoped they would be.

However, periodically I read smart people saying, "You've got to learn to use the camera." Comparisons are made to what people first said when the 602Z came out and more recently when the S5000 came out. It seems that when people start learning the camera's piculiarities the images start looking mighty fine.

Such is what I found from the following thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6531296

I'm going to buy an S7000 and give it a whirl ... the camera has too much good to ignore and, if after shooting a gigabyte of images I don't like what I find, then I'll return it. And let you know about it.

Regards, Travis
TravisGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 10:54 AM   #19

Default Learn how to use it

Well, I can't agree, that I have to learn to use a advanced user camera. It have to be somekind universal to take different type of scenes and give completed end-product to a user - a fine JPG image.
Take RAW, play in PhotoShop etc. - let it to a professionals, or better say - put it as an additional option. After making primary objectives completed.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:34 AM   #20

Oh c'mon now! Just stick the camera on a cheap tripod, set it to the lowest ISO, point it to a well lit scene and press the shutter. If the photo comes out fuzzy, noisy, abberated or just plain crummy then the camera has a problem. No need for rocket science.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote