Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:53 AM   #11

here's the savana
Attached Images

okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:16 PM   #12

Now that I can see more of your EXIF (did that sound funny?), your camera gave you a blur warning on the crossbill shot. Makes me think that your problem might be more related to camera/subject movement than focus. The fact that you had a bright background and a dim midground in that shout, coupled with a pattern metering setting may have confused your autofocus also.

Maybe you need to get closer to your subjects...I think the combination of max camera zoom, heavy cropping, and use of digital zoom is ruining your photos. I don't think that switching cameras would help all that much.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:52 AM   #13

Thanks for your comments. Sounds like I'm not holding the camera steady. I hadn't used the digital zoom except those two or three times.
Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me with the settings. Or could tell me what settings worked best for them.
thanks again for your time.
okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:32 PM   #14

okiebirdnerd wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Sounds like I'm not holding the camera steady. I hadn't used the digital zoom except those two or three times.
Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me with the settings. Or could tell me what settings worked best for them.
thanks again for your time.
Hope you get it worked out the S100fs is a great camera i have one and it's pretty sharp, here are my settings in provia mode color hard, sharpness normal, and tone hard, then go to WB fine tune and set the R- CY to +2, and the B+YE to -2 and (have it in A mode first then do these settings) then go to custome settings and save those settings to like custome 1, i really like those settings
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:30 PM   #15

to okiebirdnerd,

i was looking through some of your posts an see that you are having problems with your tcon -getting it to focus- and i was just on another sight where a gal had posted some bird pictures and she was very open about the settings and lens she was using. thought maybe you might want to look at that. it was on dpreviews forum and the gals name was jada eastwood. she was using a 1.7 sony 1758 lens and was gettiing excellent results. icould give you a few of the settings but if you have some time you may want to check it out. She did mention using the macro setting at between 20-40 feet which surprised me but she definatley was getting good results. hope this helps. I wish i could give you a link but i don't know how to do that on the computer. just google dpreview and look for the fujifilm forum , then look for jada eastwood as the person that started the thread. she has a couple of good ones on there and a lot of info. i don't check back too often but hopefully i can check back if you have any more questions. possibly she was just getting a lot closer to the birds and that was how she could use the macro setting. she had a couple of pictures with no pp or cropping and they were very close up. If nothing else you can enjoy her pics because they were excellent.
kasjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:01 AM   #16

okiebirdnerd wrote:
Quote:
And this is the most disappointing of all. A very rare bird for Oklahoma. I cropped this tight so I wouldn't need to resize it. So this is at 100%
I never could get the camera to focus. F 5.3, 1/160, iso 200, meter mode pattern. at 25' using the tcon tele.
I'm also going to attach my friends photos she took with her Pan fz 50. She was standing next to me. Guess I'll attach them in the next post since I can't post more than one at a time.
It doesn't look too bad to me. If you zoom the pictures till they're both of similar size, they look similar.

I use digital zoom sometimes (Canon S3) to help autofocus between twigs, etc, and one apparent side effect is loss of quality. But what's really happening is that the end result is bigger so you tend to look more closely. Zoom it back out on the screen and the results look similar to the same picture without digital zoom.
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:36 PM   #17

I have s100fs, and I bought a Raynox 1.54X extender for it. I actually found that there was very little if any gain over simply cropping. But I certainly did not get as soft results as those shots.

What I did find though, was that the extender made minimum focal distance way longer than it had been, disproportionate to the gained magnification, as far as I could see. In fact I just checked it and it's about 3m without and maybe 15-20 with the extender.

I don't know how close you were to those birds you shot, but that could be your problem. Somebody did point out that your camera warned of bad focus in one shot. If it is, try the macro setting on the camera. IT still works even with the extender on.

The only other thing I can think is the extender is simply not compatible with the camera. Most unlikely.

EDIT: Ahah! 25'. Probably right at the edge. Definitely try the macro mode. However, I still say take one with and one without, then 100% crop (or more) so they are the same area shown on screen (so 100% for the Tcon and 170% or whatever for the straight shot) and see if the Tcon is worth the trouble.
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:48 PM   #18

OldNick wrote:
Quote:
I have s100fs, and I bought a Raynox 1.54X extender for it. I actually found that there was very little if any gain over simply cropping. But I certainly did not get as soft results as those shots
I can't comment about this camera or extender, but I have a Canon S3 IS with a Sony 1.7x extender, and the difference is dramatic. You might not notice if you aren't cropping, but with bird photography you're often cropping 90% of the photo away. I found that at extreme distances the extender made the difference between an awful shot and an ok shot.

With that camera and extender combination, the normal close focus of about 30cm when fully zoomed changes to about 3m with the extender on.
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:49 AM   #19

Oh well, maybe Raynox blew it. It was not a cheap converter (US$250+). It's not bad, just not much better.

Edit: I will add that for a moon shot, there is a gain. So perhaps centre of lens is really good, but if you go off centre, it's not so good.

TCons a notorious for causing softening and loss of detail, at this level. I don;t know what happens in DSLR stuff where a TCon can cost more than a camera.
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:29 PM   #20

I think this a case of poor focusing.

With any tcon lens the ranges for focus are thrown off. I would try to use the macro mode as suggested earlier.

I have the s100 with the sony 1758 which is a 1.7 tcon. I have problems locking focus on birds often. I think they are too far out to use macro but if I switch focus locks on right away and problem solved.

On moon shots this is not a problem because you are shooting to infinity. My sony tcon will work well for birds and moonshots but it just works so much different that it takes a little while to get used to it.

kasjun
kasjun is offline   Reply With Quote