Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:59 PM   #1

Are there any s100fs users here using a teleconverter on their camera? If so, are you having problems focusing? I'm using the Olympus 1.7 tele with a 67 to 55 stepdown ring. I didn't know if maybe the lens might cause the camera to not focus properly.
On page 42 in the owners manual it talks about using the digital zoom and the images come out looking melted without any detail.
I purchased the s100fs to replace my Panasonic fz30. I've enjoyed being able to use a higher iso than 100 without noise but I don't feel like my photos are as sharp with the Fuji. I'm not sure if it is contributed to the camera being so much heavier or if I'm using the wrong settings.I'm using my camera for photographing birds. Any helpful info about the best settings would be grateful.
Terri

Life is short.Bird often.
http://www.okiebirdcam.com
okiebirdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:08 PM   #2

Could be settings - I've seen a lot of very sharp, crisp S100fs photos. Post a couple of pics here, and let us take a look.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:53 PM   #3

All photos were with the tcon 1.7 telein Program mode. All are cropped, resized. After resizing they look better but they still lack detail.
kingfisher-2x digi zoom, P mode, f-8, 1/480 sec., iso 200, spot meter, exp comp. -0.3.I was 35' away.
Yellow rump-2x digi zoom, F-8, 1/450,iso 200, spot meter, exp comp -0.7 at 20'.
Cedar waxwings-2x digi zoom, f-7, 1/340, iso 200, exp comp -0.7 at 50'
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:54 PM   #4

here's the yellow rump
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:58 PM   #5

waxwing
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:17 PM   #6

And this is the most disappointing of all. A very rare bird for Oklahoma. I cropped this tight so I wouldn't need to resize it. So this is at 100%
I never could get the camera to focus. F 5.3, 1/160, iso 200, meter mode pattern. at 25' using the tcon tele.
I'm also going to attach my friends photos she took with her Pan fz 50. She was standing next to me. Guess I'll attach them in the next post since I can't post more than one at a time.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:18 PM   #7

this is with the Pn fz 50
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:19 PM   #8

here's the other fz 50 photo
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:19 PM   #9

Well Terri,

You succeeded in overloading my brain...must be past my bedtime. OK, first things first...your EXIF information was partially stripped by photoshop. Could you use something else to resize your pics, like IrfanView...and don't crop? What I do see, in your first three pics is an autofocus nightmare - tree limbs and branches all over the place. What's a camera supposed to focus on? It looks like your camera decided you were trying to take a picture of a branch rather than a bird. I would have used manual focus in those situations, but since I'm not you...did you prefocus on a part of the bird that was not partially obstructed with branches? Did you get a good lock?

Digital zoom is a no-no for every case except for emergencies - in any camera that I've ever used, it destroys detail.

Does your camera take sharp photos without the telecon? If it does, and does not with the telecon, that could be your problem. Take some shots of a stationary target with and without the telecon, at various distances. Use a tripod to eliminate camera movement. See if the lens is corrupting your AF mechanism. Try to take some with manual focus - with and without the telecon.

Regarding the crossbill shot, I can't tell much from a heavily cropped pic. One thing I did notice was that you switched to pattern metering mode - you had been using spot. Your friend's pic looks like it was photoshopped to death to get it sharp. Either that, or she has her camera sharpness tweaked up to the max (your's is on normal).
Was she using a telecon?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:52 PM   #10

Okay, I installed the program you suggested and the plug-in for the exif info. I did nothing to the crossbill photo but resize it.
And since you said the branches were the problem I selected a photo of a savana sparrow. Nothing has been done except resize with your program.
What is disappointing to me is I'm doing exactly what I've done with my fz30 for two years. I always half press to see if I'm in focus before every shot. With the crossbill I had to refocus at least four or five times andselecting different areas of the bird and it struggled to find a focus.
I will be terribly disappointed if I can't use my tcon cause I will never get the detail cause I won't be close enough. With my fz30 I rarely had problems with it not focusing thru branches.
I hope you will be able to give me some suggestions with the setting cause I really don't want to sell this camera for a fz50. I hope the problem isn't because I can't handle the weight of the camera.
I really appreciate your time. Thank you!
Attached Images