Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11

Default Bless you, fellow s602 user!

There are still some of us out here that love our venerable 602s and use them often. Smart Media is kinda dead technology now, and you can't get very many pix this card in any case.

We would need more info about the specific CF card you are trying to use. Your camera is old, and cannot use a card that is larger than 2 GB. I got a deal on a 4 GB Kingston awhile back, and formatted it in FAT16 using a card reader and WinXP. If I strain my brain hard enough, I think I could remember the steps, if you need to know.

As I recall, when inserted into the camera right out of the package, my card acted just like you describe. The formatting solved that, even if it halved the storage capacity. The 602 files aren't that large, anyway. You can get HUNDREDS on a 2 GB card.

Good luck, and reply with more details so we can be of more assistance.
jazzleighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:05 PM   #12

Unclewiggley--if your CF card is over 2 GB in capacity, it will show the error message you saw. Our beloved s602 Fujis are old, tech-wise, so don't play nice with new cards. Since the SmartMedia cards are low capacity, worn out, hard to find, etc., you definitely need to switch to CF.

I got a 4 GB Kingston CF for almost nothing, and reformatted it in FAT16. This can be done in Windows with the CF in a card reader. Once this is accomplished, the card will be recognized by the camera, but will operate as though it is a 2 GB card, regardless of its native capacity over 2 GB.

If this didn't solve your problem, please reply with some detailed specs on your CF card. I'm sure I or someone else would be glad to help you.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:07 PM   #13

Oops! I didn't see my message from last night until AFTER I posted a second message.