Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 28, 2003, 2:50 AM   #1

Default cold conditions

well i bought a fuji 3800 a few months ago and im kicking myself for not spending a measly 100 more for the s5000, anyways......

winter is here and im wondering what steps i can take if any to take respectable pictures in temps from 35 above f to 35 below f,
i live in minnesota.....

is this possible? the 3800 is a little bulky for keeping warm in pockets, and im considering keeping a heat compress in my backpack with the camera but maybye thats a stupid idea.... i would appreciate any advice or sililar experiances u could share, thanks....
alan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 9:12 AM   #2

Be very careful in sub-zero (extreme cold) temperatures! I took my Fuji 4800 out last year on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Canada. Temp was around -17 Celsius. Was taking pictures then putting camera back into my jacket pocket intermittently.

Later when I got back to my car and took the camera out of my jacket pocket the camera was dripping with condensation!! Had to wipe it down real quick (I was in a panic), but camera was still functional afterwards (who knows how much water got in though). I imagine it was probably caused by the heat coming off my body due to the exertion involved with skating.

A couple of months later the video function on my camera failed
(not sure if this was due to water). Had to send it in for repairs with Fuji Canada, and was out of a camera for 9 weeks! Luckily I was at the very end of the warranty period and the repair was covered.

So, perhaps something as simple as putting back in your back pack would be adequate(keeping the camera away from heat), and I would pass on the heat compress.
Jacques321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:18 AM   #3

great skating there.

you have 2 options

1-keep 2 sets of batteries and swap as necessary keeping one set warm at all times. the camera stays outside as you know now.
2- an external battery pack that stays close to you toasty warm with a power cord going to the DC input to power tha camera. i am a veteran of that method.

the only other issue is the lcd which may either slow down a whole lot, get real funky, or not work at all depending on the temp. turn it off and don't waste the energy.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 11:10 PM   #4

Went out last week to shoot pics of a 200ft waterfall...
When We got up the mountain it was around 30 and snowing.

I had the heater crancked up all the way
The temp on the s5000 was at least 80 degrees, when I took it outside and started shooting...

The camera kept shutting down on me for no reason...

Then the next time we went back up I let the camera adjust
to the outside temp for around 30 minutes... It worked fine.

I then just left it in the tool box (dry) and in its camera bag on
the way back home to avoid any condensation from the warm
truck...

This may seem extreme but it worked for me...
weldwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 11:15 PM   #5

you went from a possible 80 deg to 30 deg and expected no internal condensation problems. your brave.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 11:24 PM   #6

Just didn't think about it... down the mountian it was about 70.

But the temps just slamed to the low 30's in no time...

I got very lucky this time!
Old Nov 5, 2003, 2:12 AM   #7

I suppose one method would be the following:
- leave home where temperature is ~20-25-30 degrees Celsius, put your camera in a good camera bag (get one made from nylon and other textile fabrics)
- go to the place where you want to shoot, but don't take your camera out of the bag for about 30minutes. the camera will adjust slowly to the cold weather but it won't be a direct contact, the camera bag will prevent the temperature dropping so fast
- take the camera, shoot the pictures, afterwards put it gently on your bag
- go home but do not enter with the camera bag in your warmest room, try leaving it on the floor if possible near the entrance door
- after another 25-30 minutes, you can take it and go to your computer/whatever room
- open the camera bag and see if the camera feels very cold. if it still does, let it in the room for another X minutes inside the camera bag. if it doesn't feel too cold, take it out and download your pictures

This worked for me quite well.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:13 AM   #8

Default HEHEHE

Thats what you call EXTREEM weather (RE) conditioning!
:lol:

Somthing you would catch on saturday night live!

What a visual! :lol: :lol:
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:34 AM   #9

I've read about some people using good quality zipperseal bags and shooting through the bag, for extreme weather protection. At least most of the condensation will be outside the bag if the camera is put in with dry air or a dessicant bag.

There's a website somewhere, where a guy modified a zipper bag for beach/hostile weather use, by bonding in a UV filter glass holder, so the cam stayed inside, zipper at the bottom, with a clear optical path through the bag. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote