Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:51 PM   #1

Default Finepix S9600 no longer seen as mass storage - Help Please

I've had a Finepix S9600 for some time now and have been very happy with it but it is suddenly seen as a Camera rather than a Mass Storage Device when I plug it into a PC to download pictures.
It shows up under "Scanners and Cameras" in "My Computer", there is no "Remove Device" icon in the notification area and it is obviously not being treated as a mass storage device. Something uber-clever is happening and it is most irritating.
Does anyone know how I can set it back to being seen by the system as a simple storage drive?

Another thing (I suppose as a consequence) is that only photos are showing up when I open it and movies are not shown. As a consequence, I have movies that I can now see when played on the camera but can not download.

When I plug it in "Camera Connected" comes up and I am given the choice of opening it with Word, Scanner and Camera Wizard or Photoshop.
Until recently I would get the same dialogue box as with a removable drive with an option to open as a folder (which is what I'd like to happen).

I plugged it into my W7RC1 box for the first time and this happened. I then tried it back on 2 XP desktop PCs and my XP laptop and the same thing happens. In addition there is now a file called "DDISCVRY.DPS" on the camera memory card along with all the photos (JPEGS) that was not there before. Might this "clever" behaviour be related to that file? Has my Windows 7 machine turned on a sort of "Fisher Price" idiot-proof mode?

I looked up the DPS extension and it seems to be a DivX Skin. Why is that suddenly appearing with the photos on my camera storage card and is its appearance related to my ex-mass storage device being seen as a camera now.

It is a mystery and any help, tips, ideas hints etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks.
thepcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:42 PM   #2

Default Solution

Strange to be answering my own question but after a few hours of time (that I'll never get back) having been wasted on this problem I figured that the answer might help others do better things with their lives.
The camera has a setting which instructs the PC to see it as either a "picture transfer protocol" device or a "mass storage class" device.
Fuji (in their infinate wisdom) have applied their own terminology to these two modes and call them "DSC" and "PictBridge" modes respectively.
Probably as a result of letting the camera sit without batteries in it for some time, the wrong mode was activated (although the default ever since I first got it was mass storage; so it does seem odd).
For those with an S9600, goto setup and choose menu 3 and you will see the two options there under "USB Mode". For others with different models but the same problem I suspect the setting is similarly there in your settings somewhere. Hope this helps someone.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:56 PM   #3

Did this occur before you hooked the camera up to win7, or did it occur after you hooked up to win7 for the first time? did you swap the card between the 9600 and another camera? I would think that win 7 does not recognise the camera and is trying to open the files and that is why you are getting the .dps file, but it seems very strange that hooking the camera up to your PC that it would write a file onto your media card. I would contact MS , i dont believe there is an issue with your camera, I believe its something with your OS and it did something to the card and now XP wont recognise the media files. i dont know anything about win7, its very new, and if its like any of MS other OS when they first were rolled out i would assume its a bug in the software. anytime that you plug something into your PC and it writes something to your card without you doing anything, something is very wrong. I would try shooting some other images and movies on another card and hooking it up to your XP machines, if they read properly then its safe to assume that its something with win7. good luck
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:43 PM   #4

It did occur after I hooked the camera up to Windows 7 and that's why I figured it must have something to do with W7 but I was wrong. It was happening as a result of a setting in the camera itself having changed. (See previous post).

The "odd" file being on the card is a bit strange though. It is a hidden file however and so I figure that it may always have been there and I just never saw it when the camera was treated as a storage device. Somehow it being treated as a camera meant that it showed up. I figure it is probably just an indexing or settings file of some kind (maybe the file that stores camera settings, who knows).

the camera is being seen as a normal storage device again however and that's good enough for me. Problem solved.

(Incidentally, W7 if GR8! A sort-of "grown-up" version of Vista. I'm so impressed with it I've ordered a custom T-shirt which reads "Vista... The New Millennium. Se7en... The New 2000" (which I think just about sums it up).)

Last edited by thepcguy; Jun 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:50 PM   #5

yeh i see your answer, glad you got it sorted out, thats pretty weird as i have the same camera and never had this occur, true, i dont have Win7, but the the 9600 now sits in my closet and is my 3rd backup camera, or my daughter uses it every now and then , we never leave the batteries in it, it gets used at best once every 2-3 months and then goes back in the closet-anyway glad you got it sorted out, now i know what to do if this occurs, although i dont think i'll be giving up XP any time soon-tx!!
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:30 PM   #6

Yes. Good camera I think. I've been happy with it.

There is something I would still like to know though. That's how to force Windows to see a device as mass storage rather than a camera. There must be a way and I'm just interested to know how one might do it.

I mean, obviously if one has the camera setting set to "show" itself to windows as a camera, there must be a way to "tweak" this from Windows itself rather than mucking about with the camera settings. Sure, I know it is easy enough to change settings on the camera but I'd sure like to know more about how Windows "sees" different devices. It might be useful in some circumstances (for example) to have Windows see a DVD ROM drive as a Hard Drive. Hmmm... Back to the googling.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:09 AM   #7

Default USB mass storage issue

Hi - did you get this figured out ? .... been a while now ... if not I may be able to help ...
slaz is offline   Reply With Quote