Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:25 AM   #1

Default Thinking about upgrading to a 200exr

I currently have a F31 that is getting beat up but still works good. My wife takes alot of pics both inside and out of the kids and also take a lot of video with it.

My question is should I upgrade to the 200exr? The camera is smaller which my wife will really like. I dont want to take a step back in quality or upgrade just for the physical size.

Thanks,
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:11 PM   #2

From what I read, This isn't a "point-n-shoot". Most soccer mom's don't like it because battery life is short and images are not that great.

The reality is you get a semi-pro camera which needs configuration according to scene/subject. If you leave exr enabled, battery life is short. Automatic isnt that great since it loves high iso's and it does take good high iso images btw. Your better off working in the p settings and exr sensor disabled for longer battery life. This camera takes really good pictures and the sad part about it isn't for ordinary people. It's not understood like it shood be.

I am leaning towards one for my girlfriend. At least she has someone who knows how to set these up. WHen I give her my s2000hd, I have it in p mode, force 100 iso, and I need to setup macro for subject and etc. It is a pain to work with since automatic is horrible. She can work with the camera if i get the settings right. She is totally lost without me in reality.

I would recommend this camera to people I know who knows how to use one. The super exr sensor is something to brag about. It takes all kinds of lights and adjusts them for your final shot. THis process is what kills the camera's battery life. I suggest reading amazon and other ordinary user reviews.

here read these reviews. These are semi pro user reviews and also regular people who want a regular great picture taking camera.
http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FineP...7771566&sr=8-1

Sad to say but my other option is the panasonic lumix zs3. It is a fantastic camera and of course it comes with it's short comings.

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 3:59 AM   #3

But cresho-

How do you now feel about the potential of the S-200fs EXR? Frankly, I am excited, that sounds like a camera with a whole lot of potential and promise. We will only know more as it develops.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:20 AM   #4

I am excited! I purchased the s200hd as a "stepping stone" for the camera I wanted. When I read of the s100fs (i think its what its called), I wondered if the super exr sensor was around the corner for the newer models so I waited.

So I got my girlfriend a j10 and I bought a s2000hd for the meantime and I will tell you I'm glad I didn't fork out more. I been taking pictures with my current camera and love them (if i don't pixel peep!).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:32 AM   #5

Default great camera. thinking about to move from F47(my main workhorse :-)

awesome cameras. even improperly post-processed pics in samples reviews was GREAT !! preamble: trying to attact new customers, Fuji make new digicams slimmer(starting from F100 and F60) and this mean weaker battery. yeah, they can throw out[and years and milllions of $ in deleoping it], they brillant IC and firmware, but thats main advantage(aside SCCD), thats why we buy/use/love FujiFilm digiams. so i(after some tries)find that short battery life is worth if[results of shooting], while more slimmer design, is, NOT, IMO. conclusion: so F200EXR is just return to former Fuji customers expectaions - classical, solid, well-made design. but battery is bit weak for this combo(EXR+previous), maybe if IC's was made on new (65 nanometer or smaller)Si-Ge waffle it can be made without sacrifice battery life.

Last edited by SkyShoot2; Jul 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:04 PM   #6

I wonder about the S200 EXR. I'm disappointed with Panasonic's new FZ35/38 - not because it's a bad camera but because I and others had hoped for so much. See the remarks by me and others in the Pansonic forum.

As a result, I was thinking for a brief time about the new S200 EXR. I'm sure there's much to recommend it - especially if Fujifilm programs the software to handle CA better. I don't mind that they moved to a slightly smaller sensor - especially if the new sensor works better than the 2/3 one in the S100fs. But I am disappointed that, as a result of the sensor switch, the lens (the same one on the S100fs) now only gives an effective 30.5mm at the wide end.

But, at the end of the day, the S200 EXR is only slightly smaller than my Pentax K200D DSLR with an 18-250mm lens attached. And it has lousier battery life to boot. I recently bought my friend's slightly used 18-250 lens (with an effective range of 27-375mm). And my K200D has a nice, big APS-C sized sensor. Suddenly, I don't seem to need a superzoom point-and-shot camera anymore.

Now, I don't want to ruin anyone's day. If anyone loves the new Fujifilm S200 EXR , then I say go for it. I'm sure it's not a bad camera at all. If it's even only as good as the S100fs, then it's a good, solid camera. If it's better than the S100fs, then it's a darn good camera.

I'm only suggesting that if you're looking at one of the larger superzoom point-and-shoots like the Fujifilm or Canon's SX1 or SX10 - and you're still not totally sold - then you might want to at least consider a camera like the Pentax K2000 or K200D with the Pentax or Tamron 18-250mm lens (same lens). The K2000 body without lens can be had for $394 at B&H Photo. The Pentax 18-250 lens can be had for $439. That's $833 total and you never have to take the lens off the camera again if you don't want to. And you'll have full DSLR quality with an APS-C sized sensor along with automatic mode and plenty of scene modes if you want them.

The S200 EXR can now be preordered for $600 - not exactly cheap itself. Yes, there's still a $233 price gap between the Fuji and the Pentax. But at least some people in the market will be willing to spend the extra money - if they can justify it. I'm saying to at least investigate the possibility if you are in that category - it's an option that perhaps some may have not considered. If you can't or won't spend that much money - or if you need a smaller camera - then that's why there are superzoom point and shoots.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:10 AM   #7

you right. but versatile "all-in-one" package, which is S100/S200 becomes, win both strategically and technically(in terms price/result, not "pure quality, no matter how bucks this cost&quot yeah, some professionals can use DSLR's advantages, but even some of them and most of enthusiasts be will be more satisfied by this camera, IMO. IMO, S200 design was fix most S100 flaws. some people deserves bigger battery some bigger zoom, some - some control feats, but "in general"[in heart ? :-]most will be happy with S200EXR, IMO. i was thinking about Oly S620(great cam btw) and S5Pro[postponed buying a bit for Subj digicam], which i use on work, but after some sample-shoot pictures, clearly realize that Fuji S200EXR was winner. pictures talk better words.

Last edited by SkyShoot2; Jul 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8

I been looking at some fuji camera exr samples from the other series like the f ones. I been pixel peeping and I can say these images are almost dslr quality. I still havent pixel peeped into a s200exr. If you look at skin tones, it is clean but a little rough. So this would mean the image is processed in automatic mode. Program ae will leave better results.

BTW, they have a s205exr. what is the difference between s200exr and that one?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:53 PM   #9

Fujifilm's own Web site seems to indicate no difference between the two models. It refers to the camera(s) as S200EXR/S205EXR under one heading with only one set of specifications. Perhaps only a different model designation depending on regional distribution? Like Panasonic's FZ35/FZ38?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:16 PM   #10

Is it confirmed it uses 4 AA batteries, I would love it so much. I use an energizer nimh 2500mh each. It also has a 15 minute charger for wall socket. It would be an awesome experience. I know exr images uses 3 layers for final pic to produce a very interesting a dynamic pic. It does use tons of power and this is definitely a plus!

Some of the factors which caused my to purchase a s2000hd was:
1. AA batteries
2. SD
3. portability.

Now if I can get this on a s200exr, boy this would be well worth it.

my previous Fuji cameras are s3800. I also have a j10 and a s2000hd and still own all 3 of them with no problems at all. I been using Fuji for a long time. I also have experience with nikon and panasonic but Fuji is aimed at a different kind of people. I think they are listening to us! AA batteries and sd card is a awsome addition. Too bad they haven't added tilt screen but I don't care at this point since the camera is already awesome.

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM.