Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1946 View Post
I just saw the Fuji announcement of the S200EXR and it sounds great. If I didn't already have the S100FS, would definitely buy it. It seems to be priced at not much more than what I paid for the S100FS.

On another note, it is a pleasure posting here at Steve's compared to DPR. After I sold my Pentax gear and got the new Fuji, I had nowhere to go except DPR(had been there before with the Pentax) and guess what? Still the sniping and crap from certain individuals.
That's one cute dog there Nick! My wife had a fawn one! great little dog and even got to Crufts unfortunatly he decided to do his little run ie head down like a lunatic LoL we now have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who's just as daft but is a dirt magnet with all that hair LoL
Cheers
Brian
Ps I'm getting a S100FS in the very nr future so i'll be back asking for tips on how to use it no doubt!
JethroTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:54 AM   #22

Well folks-

The potential of the S-200fs EXR cannot be ignored. It will be interesting what comes of that effort by Fuji. Frankly, I am hoping for very positive results. Only time will tell.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:11 AM   #23

yeah, i got same conclusions, after month, spent in search of "DSLR of my dream": 1. i cannot shot by digicams, made by other[than Fujifilm]vendors 2. i DSLR "quality" of picture was overpromoted and NOT enough, to compensate design flaws and overhead in usage 3. i LOVE Fuji digicams :-) both design and pictures, shoot maybe over time, something changed, and DSL and other vendors digicams suddenly become usable, but for now, im[personally] got no options[than use(and use and use and use ;-P) Fuji]. just try to assemble [almost]full Fuji toolset for shooting. starting from S5Pro and F47, F100.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:46 AM   #24

I bought a Pentax *istDS for my wife (with a few lenses) because she still had the "must have manual control like film SLR" mindset. It's a lovely digicam but having to either bring an extra lens with us (or predicting which lens will do the job for the whole trip) is annoying. Now I've noticed a few dust specs in some very low light photos and will have to clean the damn sensor.

For me (who also came from an old SLR - a Minolta SRT series), I had the advantage of using a few other digicams over the last 10 years and decided on a faux DSLR. I found a used S9100 in excellent shape and am very happy with it. Nice to know I can shoot RAW or, if it's just snapshots, JPEG (and have room for hundreds of photos on the card). I even found an adapter that lets me use SDHC cards instead of CF.

All the above brings me to the topic of this thread: Are the S100fs and it's upcoming replacement, the S200EXR, worthy successors to the S9100? I know there's anti-shake in both (which the S9100 has but does it by increasing ISO + shutter speed).

One thing that I get with my S9100 (and I'm not sure if the S100fs or S200EXR have this) is that little "info" button that lets me display a live histogram on-screen. I can't find anything in the manuals of the two newer cameras that indicates whether this function has been eliminated. I -do- see that you can display this in playback mode but not necessarily in shooting mode (pre-shot or post-shot 3 second review).

Any owners out there willing to reply? Thanks very much.

Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:08 AM   #25

I'm very similar to you. I did end up getting an S100fs and sold my DSLR. I used to have an S6000fs which is very similar to the 9100 and I can say for sure, the S100fs is a HUGE upgrade compared to that camera. The IQ of the photos is a LOT better. Much lower noticable noise in higher iso photos, the anti-shake works very good, the extra zoom is nice, the lens is sharper, the EVF viewfinder is much better, having dedicated buttons for iso and metering is so convenient and nice, I could go on and on. IMO, the S100 is several classes above the S6000 and 9100's.

Yes, when you push the exposure comp button a live histogram pops up.

I was worried about getting good bird photos as that's what I did with my DSLR, but I can say that in decent light, I'm getting better sharper bird shots then I was getting. Plus the macros are awesome!

Last edited by Highway; Aug 22, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:13 PM   #26

Default Ahh! Thank you for the info

Highway,

Thanks for your reply. That histogram has been a great asset; good to know I'd have it on the S100fs.

I'm leaning away from the S100EXR simply because Fuji un-widened the lens to 30mm. I mostly shoot at the widest setting (just how my mind's eye sees things, I guess - even back in the 70's I was shooting almost exclusively with my 28mm on my SRT-101 ).

At one time I was considering one of the Panasonic superzooms (FZ25 I think) and I eliminated it from contention simply because of its 35mm widest-angle lens. My son has the FZ15 (or 20, I don't remember which one at this moment) and, when I borrowed it, I became frustrated without that 28mm setting.

I'll probably wait until the EXR is released and the price of the S100FS drops to where I decide it's worth it. Meanwhile I'll give my S9100 plenty of love.

Thanks!

PS - Your photos are great!
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:22 PM   #27

Good idea,hopefully the S100's price will drop, I've seen the opposite happen sometimes where a newer version gets worse reviews,then everyone wants the previous before their all gone and the price goes up

Either one though I bet will be a great upgrade for ya,

Thanks for the compliments on my photos
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:26 AM   #28

Default S100fs, last camera for me for a while hopefully

Hey guys,

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but I was in the exact position last year. I sold my Pentax *ist DS with 3 lens, external flash, tele-converter and case, and picked up the Fuji S100fs from B & H Photo for $480 + Free Shipping. It was the best move I could have made. I love using the Fuji. I always thought they had great color reproduction. I do not miss my dSLR a bit, and CA has not been a problem for me in any of my photos to date.

A note about the new Fuji S200 EXR. It does not have the tilting LCD display. That would be a deal breaker for me, as that is a feature I use daily.

Good luck with your decision.

P.S. Great shots Highway!

"Take the shot, you can tweak it later"
[Fuji S100fs + Canon SD890IS]
rpealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:43 AM   #29

Hey cool, glad that's working out for you on that!

I'm looking to return my Fuji and go back to DSLR's...
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:36 PM   #30

Default S100fs, last camera for me for a while hopefully

What happened highway? I thought your photos looked great. What do you think the S100fs is missing? Just curious.
rpealer is offline   Reply With Quote