Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:17 PM   #31

thanks, I have gotten some good sharp shots. The lens is SHARP for sure but...

1) My cam has BAD purple fringing. Any wide angle I take that has a bright background in it has wide purple bars on anything sticking up on it, so bad the only way to fix it is to convert to black and white. Trees, chairs, phone poles, you name it, every leaf on the trees at the edges has blue blops and purple fringe. It's horrid.

2) I'm having trouble sticking to low isos to avoid noise and NR smearing. If you don't crop or don't zoom up, the photos look good up to iso 800 in good light, but if you get close at even 50% zoom, you can seem people's faces are all made of NR smudges.

3) The macro is sharp, but you really can't get that close. I calcuated the mag factor and without a raynox, you only get 1:6. Most dslr lenses give you an easy 1:4 or 1:5 and my old little kit lens gave me 1:3 close ups.

4) Shadow noise is bothering me even at low isos. Even with the flash at iso 100, non lit areas are ugly.

Maybe I'm too picky or was too spoiled with the high IQ of my DSLR
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 3:00 PM   #32

Default S100fs, last camera for me for a while hopefully

Wow, that list sounds painful. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck in your dSLR quest.
rpealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:06 PM   #33

Thanks, yes very painful

I had a DSLR before, sold it to get the Fuji, but it was older and I needed to upgrade anyway. So now I shall work towards doing that
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:45 PM   #34

I bought a Pentax *istDS for my wife (who wanted something that could be manually adjusted as her previous camera was a Minolta SRT101). We've already run into the damn-I-have-the-wrong-lens-on moment more times than I can count.

I, on the other hand, don't have that issue because I have an S9100. I've lusted after this camera for a number of years and finally bought a used one at a good price with a 3 year warranty(!). I am almost never disappointed by its performance. If I can get the shot (and pay attention to the histogram), I know LightRoom and maybe some plugins will prepare it for public viewing (the relatives, not buyers!).

I just received an S100fs this afternoon and will be running it through its paces for the next week or two until I'm comfortable with it. It is possible this (or the S9100) may end up being my wife's camera and the Pentax finds a new owner on eBay.

I've been through the cycle of SLRs and lenses, medium format (and lenses), and 4x5 (*sigh* and lenses). All that was thirty-some-odd years ago and I'm not going down that road again.
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:24 PM   #35

Yeah, I hear ya. It was a bummer how it ended up with my S100fs. I see the S200EXR still has the PF/CA problems. Maybe next year Fuji will fix this, then I'd think about selling my new DSLR kit and going back to a Fuji. I hope they keep making bridge cams, as time goes by the higher iso's keep looking better and better, and the DR is getting really nice on these cams. In a year or two, if they keep improving, I bet the bridge cams yet to come will match the entry level DSLR's of today's world.