Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1

Default DSLR to S100fs? (plus another question on burst)

Quick backstory: I had an S6000fs, used it and loved it for 6 months, then got a DSLR, my wife now uses the S6000fs. My DSLR of course has great image quality (low noise).

But, like many I've seen post, I'm sick of changing lenses and carrying a kit with me everywhere. It's so cumbersome and inconvenient. I also hate missing shots when I have my wide angle on and a cool bird lands, by the time I switch lenses it's long gone. I could get an 'all in one' lens but I really don't care for the choices. I have a D40 so need lenses with built in motors and would need image stabilization in the lens for a zoom. The Sigma and Tamron are F6.3 at the long end and many have complained of their IQ. The Nikkor 18-200 is super spendy and not that long....

I noticed someone on this forum has/had a DSLR and then got an S100fs for similar reasons. Wondering how many of you have 'downgraded' so to speak and if your still happy?

Second question: If you use the burst mode on the S100fs, does it continually focus during the burst or prefocus and take all shots at that focus? (example, can you track something moving during a burst and have the focus keep up?)

Thanks!
Ron
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:32 PM   #2

Anyone here have the cam? thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:19 AM   #3

i have read and seen reviews on the s100fs and few complaints are things like chromatic aberration. It really depends on you. If you feel at home changing lenses in a blink of an eye and taking pictures, then you will be fine. You need to feel comfortable doing this. You need to find what you like or what type of person you are.

I for one stuck with a s2000hd and I find it cures my hunger for robust features compared to compacts and simplicity of an "all in one". I would not like carrying tons of lenses myself for super macro shots nor landscapes. I have a small camera and If i pixel peep, I am definetly not happy but I am happy with the overall expirience. I almost went for a dslr camera myself.

When I go to the park and such, i whip out the camera and adjust my favorite settings and take the shots. I'm not a pro.

My older brother demands quality shots and has a nikon d3. He carries everything with him or stuff for the occasion.

you need to ask yourself if:
1. you like carrying stuff for that perfect shot?
2. you like carrying something good but yet small and can do with some problems or deal with poor pixel quality of a shot? are you going to zoom into the subject with adobe software or gimp software? are you going to just leave it alone and just use the pic "as-is"

ask yourself and be honest!

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 19, 2009 at 3:22 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4

thanks good thoughts on that.
I think the only shots where I really like good quality, I mean, GOOD quality are bird shots. That's probably my biggest hurdle. I hate carrying around a kit and I hate changing lenses. Most of the time, I keep my long zoom on my dslr just in case there is a bird around, so I miss out on macro and landscapes.
I also just said to my wife yesterday, 'I'm not a pro'. I know some people take their DSLR's out and just go for one type of shot so their not changing lenses all the time. But we usually go out for walk abouts, almost like a person is on vacation and it would be nice to grab shots of anything and every type of photo. thanks for the info!

Ron
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:07 PM   #5

To be honest, you sound alot like a nikon d300.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6

Ron-

Why not go for a great DSLR camera with a single purpose lens like the Pentax 18-250 mm rebadged Tamron on the Petax K-10 or K-20? It has worked brilliantly for me. Give it a try?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7

Chresho- Sound like I need a Nikon D300?

Hi Sarah,

That's one of my choices, but I'd just keep my Nikon D40 DSLR.
I'm going back and forth between...

My Nikon D40 with a Sigma 18-250 OS lens
or
Fujifilm S100fs

Here is what's driving me nuts though....

Pro's and cons
Optical sharpness- Fujifilm wins by decent margine
Macro performance- Fujiflim wins
Ease of carrying- Fujifilm wins
Versatility - Fujifilm wins (it does it all plus movies)
Viewfinder- DSLR wins hands down
Speed shot to shot- DSLR wins
Noise- DSLR wins but see below.
Focus speed - Probably even between an F6.3 cheaper zoom compared to Fuji. Normal the DSLR would win, but would be crippled a bit with a slower zoom like that.

Shutter speeds vs noise: This is kind of even, I'm finding most people who use the cheaper superzoom lens, like the 18-250 types, have to stop down to F8 for sharp shots with less distortions. The S100fs can be shot wide open at 5.3 and still be sharp. So that's a bit more than a stop faster. Which means, I'd be shooting ISO 800 with my DSLR compared to ISO400 on the Fuji for the same EV. This evens out the noise issues somewhat.

Ugh!

Last edited by Highway; Jul 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:41 PM   #8

Default RE: Fuji S100fs

I did just what you are thinking of. I sold all my Pentax DSLR stuff and bought a Fuji S100fs and have not regretted it at all. I got tired of lugging all of it around and changing the lenses. I have not had any problems with CA, maybe I don't take the same type of photos that the folks who are complaining of CA are taking. I am happy with my S100fs, especially with the manual zoom instead of the zoom switch. I like good photos, but am not into pixel peeping or the "too soft" etc. If it looks good on screen or in print, then I'm happy. I have not tried the burst mode you were asking about. Hope this helps some.

Nick
nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:55 PM   #9

Thanks Nick, that does help. It's a scary thing to do. Were you nervous to part with your DSLR kit?

Can I ask you a few questions?
How is the speed of focus at full zoom? I've read some people saying it's the slowest camera they ever had for focus at full zoom and it misses a lot if the light isn't super bright.

Example, lets say there was a deer about 50 yards away, COULD you lock focus pretty quick and get the shot before it ran away?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:11 PM   #10

Default re: focus

Highway,
I have taken some deer photos with the S100fs, they were taken through the windows of several deer that come into the yard area out of the woods. They sense and see you move, but have gotten some photos of them using full zoom. If I go outside, they leave in an instant. I would say my S100fs focus is no worse than my Pentax K100D was-not the fastest and probably not the slowest either. I realized what I was giving up by selling the DSLR, but have more enjoyment taking photos now, and am saving a bundle not spending $$$$ for "I just have to get that" items.
nick1946 is offline   Reply With Quote