Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:46 AM   #1

Default Fuji e550: is it dead?

Hi all... Anyone want to take a stab at what's going on with this camera? I say it's dead or dying. This is a screenshot of a typical outdoor photo, 1:1 enlargement. Evidently if it's an indoor photo it's fine but bright points of light, windows etc will blow out and be streaky. I added a screenshot of some of the info because that's all I have to go on: the camera's 1000 miles from me at the mother-in-law's...

If you see this and go "oh it's set for underwater" or something like that, that's what we're hoping. But I think the camera needs to be tossed.

Thanks very much.

Scott

ScottFromWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:35 AM   #2

Scott,

I would like to say, "Oh, it's set for underwater", but unfortunately, it looks more like the camera may have been underwater. Try two things: 1. Format the memory card (in the camera), and take a few shots. 2. Contact Fuji - they had known issues with certain camera models/sensors, and they were replacing sensors/cameras free of charge. I don't know if the E550 was one of them, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:20 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the tips. Here's hoping the card's the culprit since I'm sure any sensor problems are long out of warranty. But we won't know if we don't ask so... I'll get back to you.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:50 AM   #4
Administrator

Can you post the actual image (a downsized jpeg) versus a screen capture? That way, we could look at the EXIF information for any clues as to what may be going wrong (for example a +EV Setting with Exposure Compensation causing overexposure).

That does have the look you'd expect with a failing sensor (I've seen them fail in that manner before). I'd also try a different batteries, in case a voltage issue may be a fault.

But, at the same time, that shutter speed/aperture combination looks wrong for a photo in good light outdoors (exposing too bright). In most outdoor lighting, I'd expect to see faster shutter speeds used for ISO 80 and f/4.5 (although if it was getting closer to Sunset, that would explain it). It may be a good idea to take a closer look at the EXIF detail/maker notes, etc. (and you can't see much info with the EXIF reader you're using for that screen capture), just in case one of the settings could be contributing to the problem.

I'd suggest downsizing it using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 640 pixels, leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing. Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first. Make sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked so that members can see the metadata for camera settings used.

If you're using Linux (as I suspect since you used a .png format for your screen capture save), try showFoto or similar to downsize it.

Or, if you've got the full size image, just upload it to your site and post a link to it versus trying to embed it in a post here (that way, you reduce the chance that an editor will strip out or modify any of the EXIF metadata in the image header when downsizing).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks, Jim...

Here's a photo (thought it was the same one, it's not but no matter) on Flickr, link is to the meta.

I believe she said it was dusk ("almost too late") when she took the photos so the exposures may be correct.

Photos in low light/flash are better but still bad.

Thanks for looking!

Scott
—Mac, CS3 blahblahblah ;-)
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Administrator

Scott:

You still don't get all of the EXIF metadata with that image (since you can only see what Flickr's libraries are interpreting, versus the more detailed info you could get using a specialized EXIF viewer that includes maker note tags and more viewing an unmodified image).

But, it's showing Auto Mode with no exposure compensation, which is what I was mostly concerned with.

So, your problem is likely a bad sensor. I would still try different batteries with it (and I'd use fully charged NiMH AA batteries, since you can see some voltage differences using something like Alkalines), just in case you have a battery related problem. I have seen a bad battery produce similar symptoms one time before. But, most of the time, when you see a camera with images like that, it's a sensor issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7

Thanks Jim. It's not like we're talking about a thousand-dollar camera here, and really the risk of it ruining more memories is too great IMO to use the camera again even if we get it "fixed," so I'm going to tell her to toss it and get a new one. I just needed a second opinion before advising someone to drop a few hundred bucks!

Have a good weekend,
—Scott
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:01 PM   #8

Default A possible Camera Replacement - the Sony H-20 with a Sample

Scott-

Yes the Fuji E-550 was a fine camera in its day. I still have mine. However, it has become out dated. A very user friendly camera, with all of today's digital camera improvements, and very highly reviewed, at about the same size, roughly, is the Sony H-20, now priced at around $(US) 240.00. You might want o look at that camera as a possible replacement. Here is a photo sample from the Sony H-20 which has an amazing flash range of up to 20 feet. The photo was taken at 18 feet, a tough job for most similar cameras. The H-20 also provides 10X optical zoom as well.

I hope that you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:38 PM   #9

the ccd on the camera is just about done-it will continue to take images like that until it goes out completly, that can happen at any time-too bad, the e-550 was a nice camera-either send it to fuji and hope they still have parts to fix it, if they dont they will swap it out for you. otherwise you can put it up on ebay as a broken camera. either way the camera is done, and you need to start looking for a replacement.
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote