Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:15 PM   #1

Default Print quality of s5000?

Hi, I have narrowed my search for a new camera to the S5000, the 3800, the Minolta DiMAGE Z1, and the Canon A70. The S5000 and the A70 were leading the pack (A70 for size and price), until I came across a couple of reviews that bashed on the S5000's image quality. Can anyone here give me their opinions on the S5000?

The most important feature in a digital camera to me is that it prints out high quality photos that rival an SLR... but unfortunately price is an issue. I do not print photos on my own -- I have my local camera store print any pics for albums or framing, so how it prints on a printer isn't of concern to me (I have yet to see a consumer-end printer print anywhere close to a photo lab's quality).

If I get the S5000, will I be disappointed?
greedyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:48 PM   #2

What's the max size you want to print?

I haven't tried it myself, but I heard rumors of going all the way up to A3 with pretty good quality. A4 looks of course excellent ....

As for image quality, hmm... I do not agree that it's bad. Check out http://s5000.vze.com and http://rrb.so.ro/gallery/ for samples.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:38 PM   #3

(pardon my ignorance) what is A3 and A4?

Most prints would be 4x6 or 5x7. Maybe an occasional 8x10, but that's really it. I just want clear, sharp pictures.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those sites, and thanks for your input.

BTW, would you recommend the 5000, particularly over the others (if you know anything about them)?
greedyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:29 PM   #4

I actually did some 8x10 prints this evening from my S5000, and they came out pretty damn good..

i actually printed a few at 11x17, and some blotchyness was visible, but nothing that would keep me away from doing it again..

I was printing on a (so they tell me) 30,000 dollar Xerox color lazer printer at my college. they call it a Fiery (if that means anything to you).
flashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:25 PM   #5

You were probably printing on a DocuColor by Xerox. Fiery is a type of RIP used to decode and encode the information in an image so the printer can understand it.

The DocuColor does procude nice images but they aren't neccessarily equivalent of a photograph. They would be closer to what you would find in a magazine. You would probably be able to tell the difference if you used a photo printer.

Sorry for the rant, I'm a printing major, I had to throw my 2 cents in.

Kristen
Neptoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:34 PM   #6
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg
Well, I just have to civilize all you imperial system users...

A4 & A3 are paper sizes. A4 is 210mm x 297mm and you get A3 when you set two A4 side by side -> 420mm x 297mm.

And next obvious question is : what is mm? =)
Well, 1 inch is 25,4mm.

Why canīt we all just use SI-units =)
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:54 PM   #7

You will be able to print good 4X6 and 5X7 prints from an S5000. My son has one and the quality is very good. He bought the camera because he wanted the 10X optical zoom capability. My son has not tried to print an 8X10 but with 3.2 mp it should produce good results.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:46 AM   #8

I just recently tried some 4Rs (6'x4') taken with S5000 at a photo lab. You won't be able to differentiate those from film prints.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:09 AM   #9

I've had my S5000 for about 1 week now and have printed over 100 4x6's, 20 5x7s, and 10 8x10s. The print quality is fantastic. On the 8x10's you can see a little bit of over-sharpening if you look super duper closely (i think this is an artifact of the .jpg compression being a little heavy), but the camera is great.

For the size, price, speed, and quality, I don't think you can beat it.

Now, does anybody know if Fuji can/will release a firmware fix to the .jpg compression!?!?1
rick325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg
Well, I just have to civilize all you imperial system users...

A4 & A3 are paper sizes. A4 is 210mm x 297mm and you get A3 when you set two A4 side by side -> 420mm x 297mm.

And next obvious question is : what is mm? =)
Well, 1 inch is 25,4mm.

Why canīt we all just use SI-units =)
What is the purpose of the A4 since it is close to a standard 8 1/2" x 11" letter size?

Where do you get A3 paper?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote