Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:29 PM   #11

There is a new version of RawGem which can very often beat the results of the in-camera processing. The latest version has improved dynamic range and colors.

You can see a side-by-side comparison of dynamic range here:

http://www.pixagogo.com/2181445557

pierre

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pierre.labr...age/RawGem.htm
Pierre Lafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:32 PM   #12

First I applaud you for taking on the task of trying a RAW converter. This is just what I found when trying it. I tried a little more difficult image just to see how it worked. You can see what it did to this all red shirt (See Below). It was a little bit dark and indoors and that is where I find the most issues with. I did also try an ideal condition image and your program was much better than the other freeware I have tried but the fuji software stillwon in the drop and drag mode.IMO The Fuji color was better. Also the images looked a little soft with rawgem. When I compared them side by side with the TIFF image, the Fuji software looked a lot better to me.

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:28 PM   #13

I found this today on the Connected Photographer news letter.

SilverFast DC VLT
class=newsItemLaserSoft Imaging AG, developer of SilverFast Professional Scanner and Digital Camera Software solutions, announced the immediate availability of SilverFast DC VLT for RAW data conversion. SilverFast DC VLT allows ambitious hobby photographers to directly modify the original data captured – among standards such as JPEG and TIFF - producing images with superior high quality, white balance and the maximum amount of details.

joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:31 PM   #14

joelw you may have found a winner. I loaded the demo software and converted an image and it looked better than the Fuji and it did a good job correcting the White Balance, Contrast etc. This is the first program I have seen with these good results. Far better than when I tried photoshop which is much more expensive. I appreciate the link.

Have a great day!
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:00 PM   #15

I also feel the Fuji "RAW Converter" is a joke.

I've been using the updated Adobe Camera RAW 2.3 & Adobe Photoshop CS with excelent results :-)& have found it to be far superior to what Fuji offers. The same Camera RAW 2.3 update can also be used with the less expensive Photoshop Elements 3.0, however you loose almost all of the functionality that is available with Photoshop CS... but even with the severely reduced fucntionality in Elements 3.0 it's still IMO better than the Fuji Converter.

Quote:
As it is, the RAW "feature" with the S7000 appears to be nothing more than a glorified way to save file space with a compressed RAW format which can only be converted to a tiff.
Using the updated Camera RAW file & Photoshop you do not have to convert the RAW file to TIFF if you don't want to.
Quote:
Once it's been converted, of course it can be manipulated with PhotoShop, but that kind of defeats the whole idea of a RAW file.
Actualy the idea of a RAW file is to provide the user with an unprocessedoriginalfile that is exactly how the camera CCD (or CMOS) captured it. All non-RAW formats go through a camera's processing which changes the image depending on the pre-programmed setting that are tiedinto each specific setting (auto, AP, SP, M, day, night, landscape, etc...). As such unless you have set up the camera perfectly foreach shot (something I haven't yet learned to do), you must manipulate the RAW file to get your desired look, which I would preffer to do manually instead of having an "auto" converter which may not give the desired look.
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote